• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Andy Katz just reported that Marshall...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

That's classic Brett McMurphy for you.

I can't wait until someone hires the guy and moves him out of town.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

While no offer was made, we rolled out the red carpet for Marshall and practically told him the job is his for the taking. While no "official" offer was made, and "offer was made and he declined it.

I don't see this one as a smear.

Are you a politician Joe, either offer was made or it was not. I have been to job interviews were it looked like an offer was going to be made but then no job came. It is pretty simple either he was given a firm job offer or he was not.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Personally, and only personally, I am not too upset about Marshall declining - I was unsure about his ability to lead USF.  

I feel the same. I liked him as a person but he gave mid-major a new definition, "soft mid-major". The Big South and the Big East are not equal.

Unless we bring in an old Big East coach we're not pulling an "equal" from anywhere. What disturbs me about this board right now is that everyone has such elevated expectations on a hire. As Minnesota pointed out this past week, a top level coach is going to coast some money. (About 1.8M a year to be exact).

USF is probably going to spend (and righfully so) a little over a third of that. I would love to get a Bobb Lutz or a Chris Lowery, but they are either going to be tough to get from their current school or (in Lowery's case) they are getting targeted by schools that will pay more.

I tought Marshall was going to be the next coach for a bit, but then when he stated "It's a nice program." I thought snowball's chance. Time to move on.

Are you a politician Joe, either offer was made or it was not. I have been to job interviews were it looked like an offer was going to be made but then no job came. It is pretty simple either he was given a firm job offer or he was not.

You don't fly someone and their wife in. Roll out the red carpet. Talk numbers. Then wait for the potential employee's response to interest and not call it an "offer".

Yes, I agree that Brett has gona over the top at times, but i don't think he's trying to start a war here.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Who's to say that when meeting this weekend Woolard didn't get the warm fuzzies that he felt like he needed and let Marshall know that he was going to continue his search.  This gives Marshall a chance to pull out.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Wait until you read it on SI.com - every coach in America (and player) will see it as a snub to USF's offer.  I'm just for the facts.  Perhaps the Tampa Tribune reporter misunderstood the situation.  What's wrong with just the facts?

I had the red carpet rolled out for me as I interviewed for a job in New Orleans about 6 months ago.  Nice red carpet.  It was a great opportunity to meet each other and see the facilities.  I never mistook that as an offer of employment.  Flown in for a couple grand, beautiful hotel downturn, private driver to Bank - the works.  Still, I didn't think I had the job int he bag - its how they did business, how they treated their potential hires.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks to Omni, I have feelings of insufficiency now.  They gave me a chance to reconsider my desire to move there and I said "no thanks."  Now I feel like they didn't really want me..   :'(

The difference is we're talking about one position at the University of South Florida. If USF wasn't ready to hire him he doesn't say this:

"Doug Woolard is a good man, and he's going to put together a program that will be successful," Marshall told the Herald. "But it's just not something I was ready to move on at this point."

Basically this was a situation where we didn't make an offer, but were asking the coach to make a decision on whether he would accept the job if it were definitively offered.

I don't think Brett was meaning to demean USF on this one.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

he made an offer and the guy said no thanks.

there is nothing wrong with that.

he doesn't' think this is the right place to be.  no probelm.

Whats the big deal.

Somebody will jump at the chance to work here.

It will more likely be a coach who is not currently employed too.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

he made an offer and the guy said no thanks.

there is nothing wrong with that.

he doesn't' think this is the right place to be.  no probelm.

Whats the big deal.

Somebody will jump at the chance to work here.

[highlight]It will more likely be a coach who is not currently employed too[/highlight].

harricks.jpg