• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Athletics Budget-Coaches Salary

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You're forgetting more wins equals higher attendence.  Higher attendence means more tickets sold, more concessions.  I may be wrong, but don't tourney (Big East, NIT, or NCAA) appearances mean more money also.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

the entire lower level is sold out, even though people don't show.

Yes, the lower level is sold out, however one of the issues is some individuals have been sitting there for many many many years and are still paying a $500 donation to sit there, and the current level to sit there I believe is $3500 (if someone can please verify), there are donors who are donating alot more that are stuck in the 2nd level because of this problem.

I do thank those people who have had tickets for longer than I have been alive, and they should have first right at those seats, however the season tickets need to be reconfigured to the new level donors otherwise Bulls Club and USF is going to continue to lose money because I know, there are people who would donate more than they currently do if they could have better seats for basketball.

I completely agree. They need to address this now that we are making a move with a new coach. Kansas did this several years ago after their program went into the red. They raised tons of new money because the donors with the best seats decided it was better to up their donation rather than lose their seats. Granted we don't have the demand they do but all we have to do is reassign seats based on current donation levels or cumulative giving. I don't know if it will get me down there but I do know that I give more than many of the old timers and can't get any where near the first level on the sides. This not only gives the new alums a chance at prime seats but it also encourages the elders to up their donation or sit elsewhere.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

I do agree, unless they are doing some type of rebudgeting.

Especially considering we just paid Mac 400k in addition to what we'd be paying a new coach for this upcoming season.

dont tell CJL that .......... dinning hall

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

Guys, don't forget that the Big East signed a new basketball TV contract that starts next year...

how much do we get from that

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016

From an earlier post.  This information is from the US DOE

USF Men's BBall Revenue (05-06): MBB: $2,845,336

USF Men's BBall Expenses (05-06): MBB: $1,983,566

In 05-06 the USF Operating budget for Athletics ran $1.5 million in the black.   believe that the money is there.  In addition, we have more revenue coming in from the BE this year and the new TV money for next year.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

^^^ are you 100% sure on those numbers? I know we made more money from the BE, but I could have sworn basketball lostb a little money last year.

Basketball is a tough sport to make money on and very few schools actually come out on top. USF is in the midst of building a football program, I cannot see them throwing a lot of that money into basketball and hurting the rea cashcow. Football

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

You're forgetting more wins equals higher attendence.  Higher attendence means more tickets sold, more concessions.  I may be wrong, but don't tourney (Big East, NIT, or NCAA) appearances mean more money also.

I'm not forgetting that... i used that as a basis for my avg attendance increasing to 7500 from 3500.

But you are forgetting that more wins is a hope, not a guarantee.  There is no guarantee of any of this by spending a fortune.  Plus with the fickle fans in this area, a few more wins might not really bring the crowd.  We couldn't get monster crowds in here when we had all the hope in the world with BB/Tron, and the greenberg press machine. We had some good ones, but we weren't selling out any games, except the UF game which was close, but only because of UF, not us. In our financial situation, the slow pace is likely the only pace (for hoops, that is).

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm not forgetting that... i used that as a basis for my avg attendance increasing to 7500 from 3500.

But you are forgetting that more wins is a hope, not a guarantee.  There is no guarantee of any of this by spending a fortune.  Plus with the fickle fans in this area, a few more wins might not really bring the crowd.  We couldn't get monster crowds in here when we had all the hope in the world with BB/Tron, and the greenberg press machine. We had some good ones, but we weren't selling out any games, except the UF game which was close, but only because of UF, not us. In our financial situation, the slow pace is likely the only pace (for hoops, that is).

That's why I said if you believe you'll get more from hiring a certain coach.  Obviously it's not a guarantee.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

A ticket to a USF basketball game is not 15 dollars.

Doug Woolar knows what he is doing.  

He will pick the best guy available.

He is the man.

In Doug I trust.