• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett's Blog: Grant Out, Jarvis Pursuing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

ZERO chance Todd Lickliter is leaving Butler.

For the life of me I can't figure out why nobody likes Bobby Lutz.?

Is it his post-season performance?  Or maybe his ability to put together a strong program at a 2nd tier school?

This board makes no sense.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

ZERO chance Todd Lickliter is leaving Butler.

For the life of me I can't figure out why nobody likes Bobby Lutz.?

Is it his post-season performance?  Or maybe his ability to put together a strong program at a 2nd tier school?

This board makes no sense.

Quit being a drama queen....

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/nph-YaBB.pl?num=1173718165

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

Ha Ha

its what i am known for.

This is a big move and I am worried that we are going to screw it up.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  261

Woolard is the best thing to happen to USF Athletics.....next to Jim Leavitt. Woolard said that we are comitted to building a bball program and I believe him. I think DW wants to hire a coach from the tourney so that coach can transfer some of that tourney experience and momentum over to our program....as well as a proven winning record over time, ability to recruit in bball hotbeds, disciplinarian, and energetic.

I WANT TO SEE SOME PHYSICAL BBALL. Aside from Gransberry, we have not played any physical bball in years.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

i know i have talked bad about Jarvis on this board but it is not because of his coaching ability.  

the good:

He understands where people are from and doesnt judge people.  ex. Ron Artest, obviously has some mental problems but you grow up like he did and you would understand.  One of the best college players i have ever seen.

Got st johns job in summer of 1998 and took them to the elite 8 in 1999, losing to a good Ohio State team with Michael Redd and Scoonie Penn.

Won Big East championship in 2000.  

He took George Washinton to sweet 16 in the 90's with Yinka Dare, known in the NBA as Mr assist man (career had like 2 assists in lots of games) also known as Yinka you Stinka to NJ Nets fans, nasty in college though.  

He coached Pat Ewing in high school and Karl hobbs (current GW coach and a candidate for our job)

The bad: (the reason i personally do not like him)

changed the history of st . johns, who used to heavily recruit NYC kids.  When he came to st johns the best players in the city would go to Pitt, UConn, Louisville, and everywhere else in the country and BE, and it seemed he got the 2nd choice sich is still good but not for St. Johns, back then.  

some high school coaches wouldnt even let him in their gyms to talk to their players due to personal dislikes, ex. Bob Oliva head coach of prominant Christ the King HS in Queens, Ny dispised Jarvis.    

Had 4-5 of his players have sexual relations while taping it with their cell phones with a airline stewardess in Pittsburgh during a road trip.  

Had ncaa violation which led to loss of some scholarships and were left out of the BE tournament for these reasons.  

Had St Johns AD change the face of the program.  No longer recruit anyone with a flaw in their background, where if you dont have those kids to choose from, while risky, you are giving up alot.    

Honeslty, i know he is a good coach, i just feel he left my old favorite ncaa team in a way worse position then when he go there.  But while he was there he did have some promising seasons, but at the end of his career there were some very shady situations and they werent winning consistently.  But hineslty I would put my prejudgements aside and definitely give him a chance.  He is well know figure in the NCAA with his track record and ESPN job.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

times.gif

St. John's slow start costs Jarvis his job

By Associated Press

Published December 20, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK - Mike Jarvis became the first coach fired during the season in the 25-year history of the Big East Conference, dismissed by St. John's Friday after six games.

The Red Storm opened the season by losing four of five, which hadn't happened since 1922-23, and it was beaten at home by Fairfield and Hofstra, drawing boos from fans and chants of "Fire Jarvis!"

A victory over St. Francis, N.Y., improved the team to 2-4, but it wasn't nearly enough to save the coach's job. The Red Storm also lost to Marquette and Duke.

Associate head coach Kevin Clark takes over the program on an interim basis. St. John's plays at No. 5 Georgia Tech Sunday.

"This wasn't my choice, but you must respect the decision an employer makes," said Jarvis, 110-61 in his five-plus seasons.

Jarvis still had next season remaining on his contract, which is thought to be in the $725,000-a-year range. Assistant coach Mike Jarvis II also was let go.

The timing of the firing was "the best thing for all parties," St. John's athletic director Dave Wegrzyn said.

"We feel it is in the best interest of everyone to make this decision," he said.

He refused to discuss financial arrangements.

While Jarvis' players struggled on the court this season, they had problems away from it, too.

Senior guard Willie Shaw was arrested on suspicion of marijuana possession last month and kicked off the team. Shaw also was suspended for four games at the end of his sophomore season after testing positive for marijuana.

Junior college transfer Grady Reynolds was arrested just days before the 2002-03 season after a female student accused him of attacking her in a dormitory. Over the summer, Reynolds was ordered to perform community service and undergo anger management counseling to settle the charges, which would be dismissed in six months if he was not arrested again.

Jarvis replaced Fran Fraschilla, who was fired after the 1997-98 season. Jarvis spent eight seasons at George Washington and was at Boston University for five seasons before that. His career record for 18-plus seasons is 364-201. He took BU to the NCAA Tournament twice and George Washington three times.

Jarvis led the Red Storm to the region final of the NCAA Tournament his first season and it lost in the second round the next year. St. John's also went to the tournament in 2002, losing in the first round, and won the NIT last season.

Link

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Jarvis still had next season remaining on his contract, which is thought to be in the $725,000-a-year range. Assistant coach [highlight]Mike Jarvis II [/highlight]also was let go.

This reminds me .... not one word so far about Jim Harrick, Jr or Sr??

You're right, ari, this board is insane.

[edit]Edited by Bulliever to protect the identity of those participating in our Member Identity Protection Program (MIPP).  Please work with me to help build better lives...[/edit]

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

LOL!!

behindTheCurtain.jpg

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

i know i have talked bad about Jarvis on this board but it is not because of his coaching ability.  

the good:

He understands where people are from and doesnt judge people.  ex. Ron Artest, obviously has some mental problems but you grow up like he did and you would understand.  One of the best college players i have ever seen.

Got st johns job in summer of 1998 and took them to the elite 8 in 1999, losing to a good Ohio State team with Michael Redd and Scoonie Penn.

Won Big East championship in 2000.  

He took George Washinton to sweet 16 in the 90's with Yinka Dare, known in the NBA as Mr assist man (career had like 2 assists in lots of games) also known as Yinka you Stinka to NJ Nets fans, nasty in college though.  

He coached Pat Ewing in high school and Karl hobbs (current GW coach and a candidate for our job)

The bad: (the reason i personally do not like him)

changed the history of st . johns, who used to heavily recruit NYC kids.  When he came to st johns the best players in the city would go to Pitt, UConn, Louisville, and everywhere else in the country and BE, and it seemed he got the 2nd choice sich is still good but not for St. Johns, back then.  

some high school coaches wouldnt even let him in their gyms to talk to their players due to personal dislikes, ex. Bob Oliva head coach of prominant Christ the King HS in Queens, Ny dispised Jarvis.    

Had 4-5 of his players have sexual relations while taping it with their cell phones with a airline stewardess in Pittsburgh during a road trip.  

Had ncaa violation which led to loss of some scholarships and were left out of the BE tournament for these reasons.  

Had St Johns AD change the face of the program.  No longer recruit anyone with a flaw in their background, where if you dont have those kids to choose from, while risky, you are giving up alot.    

Honeslty, i know he is a good coach, i just feel he left my old favorite ncaa team in a way worse position then when he go there.  But while he was there he did have some promising seasons, but at the end of his career there were some very shady situations and they werent winning consistently.  But hineslty I would put my prejudgements aside and definitely give him a chance.  He is well know figure in the NCAA with his track record and ESPN job.  

Do you think Jarvis can pull a Greenburg and rehabilitate himself if Jarvis comes to USF? I know Greenburg credits much of his success at VTech due to the bumps that he took during his rollercoaster tenure at USF. I'm thinking if Jarvis can recruit some Primetime Players to USF, I'd be willing to give him a shot, as long as his contract is explicit about providing certain incentives about running a clean program.