• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Season is over..... Time to let your feelings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,843
  • Days Won:  22

With respect to people believing that a person can not win at USF, or a coach can't recruit at USF, or the notion that USF is a graveyard of future coaches.....

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensibleâ€Â

Bertrand Russell

All you have to do is look at our basketball record through history no matter what conference we play in and no matter who the coach is, the results are the same. That points that the problem is bigger than just one man.

You can try to put out a fire by replacing the fireman BUT if all you give him is a bucket the results wont change no matter who the fireman happens to be.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

I think deep down that is the divide.  That this debate really isn't about Robert McCullum.  This debate is about what can happen with USF basketball.

The right side believes that this is a long term systemic problem.  A problem deeply rooted in the community and university as whole.  A problem that can't be solved by a coach or a single player.  It is a long term pandemic that needs a long term solution, and they seem to believe that solution is stability and small steps.

The left side believes that the real problem over the last 5-10 years is a university that has showed little committment to winning.  We (speaking for myself of course) think that the right man can solve this problem.  We don't understand how a program can win at Gonzaga and Southern Illinois, but can't win at South Florida.  We refuse to believe that this University has had the right coach, but has been unable to attract decent talent because of the lay of the land.  

I guess we will find out where we are headed within the next 3 - 5 days.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,843
  • Days Won:  22

WRONG. I dont believe in stability and small steps. I believe the problem is FUNDING for the program that would allow it to compete in Big East. Im for change if it is meaningful. if it is going to be cosmetic then it solves nothing.

we need to adress the issues on why quality coaches and others refer to USF as a dead end job, take off your green and gold glasses and look at the reasons why this is the perception of the program

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

I think deep down that is the divide.  That this debate really isn't about Robert McCullum.  This debate is about what can happen with USF basketball.

The right side believes that this is a long term systemic problem.  A problem deeply rooted in the community and university as whole.  A problem that can't be solved by a coach or a single player.  It is a long term pandemic that needs a long term solution, and they seem to believe that solution is stability and small steps.

Beautifully put... and Mac is the embodiment of that opinion.

The left side believes that the real problem over the last 5-10 years is a university that has showed little committment to winning.  We (speaking for myself of course) think that the right man can solve this problem.  We don't understand how a program can win at Gonzaga and Southern Illinois, but can't win at South Florida.  [highlight]We refuse to believe that this University has had the right coach, but has been unable to attract decent talent because of the lay of the land.[/highlight]

Our two most recent coaches had success at their stop previous to USF and the one who has moved on has found enormous success at his current stop. Maybe it's time to step back and take another look at that belief.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

WRONG. I dont believe in stability and small steps. I believe the problem is FUNDING for the program that would allow it to compete in Big East.

I assumed the stability and small steps included more financially responsive action to go along with it.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  187

My vote is to change the coach only if we have identified a candidate that would make a significant improvement in the program.  Changing coaches to only end up with what we have now would not make a lot of sense.  K-State gambled and won with Huggins this year but I don't know that there is a lock candidate out there for us.  

I do not miss Seth and his being gone is one of the few positives in the McCullum era.  

I am disappointed in the lack of progress the basketball program has made in regards of wins versus losses because I saw what Paschal had done to take a program with nothing and getting it into the NCAA tourney four years later.  This program has flatlined and has not shown many signs of life.

There is no reason why USF can not have a successful basketball program.  It starts with getting talented players and then getting a coach that can develop those players on and off the court.  

The sun will still rise tomorrow and our record will be 0-0 at the start of next season.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

The Bishop of Bulltown.

Now that is a funny name.

Guest BasketBull.

First of all, what on earth happened to that team that beat a ranked team a while back? ...put me in the coaching chair; I can lose 7 in a row. :-?

I'm sorry, but I've lost almost every bit of hope I had left for the current staff. At the same time, I'm in agreement with Bulliever's logic. What's the point of changing anything if we can't afford to pay to do it right?

I don't want another upstart for $400-$500K a year. That's just Seth Part II with more spending.

We need to spend $600-$700K a year for a proven winner and someone who will sell the program to the fans. That is if we can find one for that price.

If USF can't afford the money, then keep the current staff, which is almost like saying we can't shut it all down...

We were a .500 club for a stretch in C-USA. Now, we are worse than when in C-USA but playing in the Big East -and, of course, still paying mid-major prices for everything.

A baseball stadium? ? ? What about men's bball? ? ?

I'm not holding my breath...  :P