• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What Does Woolard's Silence Say?

Ok, all the Pro CRM fans have a point with the bad luck that he has had etc> My question is, when is it enough. What if next yr, something happens to Howard, or he recruits the best player in America and the guy does not qualify because of grades, or the FSU transfer who is suppossed to be a stud gets injured, all those scenarios are bad luck and out of CRM's control, so will everyone say next yr he has had more bad luck and should be given another chance, how many yrs of bad luck is one entitled to before the responsibility falls on their shoulders.

Just out of curiosity... and I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong... but how would you assign responsibility for injuries to a coach? Grades - sure, that can be part of the recruitment process and coaches need to factor grades into the equation...

But when a player is hurt - especially during the off-season, as has happened - how can anyone expect the coach to be responsible ??

I would be okay with keeping him one more season, and giving him a benchmark to achieve - more than just making it to NYC... maybe 7 Big East wins or a .500 overall record.  The cost of buying out the last season of the contract would be less, and there might be some better-known coaches available come 2008.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Nice to see he cares...

I have to question the research though.  This one threw me off a bit:

"but money doesn't seem to be the issue."  

Wonder what gave him that feeling.

I think he's also missing the boat on this:

"But USF can win, even in the Big East. The Bulls have been competitive in every Big East sport except men's basketball."

There is no doubt we can "win" (definition needed please), but Joe, there is no other sport in the Big East like men's basketball.  Come on.   You can't compare it to the rest..it truly is the flagship sport in the BE.

I think he wants the reader to assume that because Mr. Woolard did not comment positively on RMc - the coach is in jeopardy of losing his job at season's end.  That appears to be the message to me.

So, what do we know now, that we didn't know before the article?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I learned that most of our wins are against "creampuffs". Oh wait I knew that.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Mac is never to blame for losses, but when we win he deserves the glory.

He is to blame for losses fan83, but one must also realize that with 'more' of the talent that is currently injured he would have probably have had less of them, which he will finish the year with less losses than last season.  He does deserve the glory too, especially if he's winning games 'short handed'.

How about this pearl of wisdom from Henderson...

Seth Greenberg had similar results during his tenure before he fled to Virginia Tech, where he's about to win his second ACC Coach of the Year award. ... USF is a career-killer. The evidence supporting that argument is compelling.

Um.... what??

Greenberg left and succeeded, must not be THAT much of a career-killer.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

maybe our "boosters" shouldn't have run Greenberg off.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

Greenberg was a great guy, but it was time for him to go, he was not going any further with this program than he had already taken them. Unfortunatly we thought the new coach would take us a step further and we have taken 20 steps backwards.

Greeneberg was leaving anyway, every yr his name would have surfaced somewhere for more money that USF would not have been willing to pay him and he eventually would have bolted, which you cant blame the guy.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

yikes, a personal suggestion is don't open mouth and insert foot.

Greenberg was not run off, he 'ran off', and had his resume in the open market for 3 years until he had found a very desperate option at VPI.  This is well known, and during his last three years the program sunk to lows both on and off the court.

Let's not degrade the essense of this thread, Greenberg is gone and proved that VPI was not the toughest job in America- possibly his previous stop was- so good for him.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

If this was a business, then the executives would have outsourced the coaching job, and maybe the entire basketball program.  

Just imagine what sport we would get in its place?  :-?

I do not know about anyone else, but I find cricket to be a very silly sport.   ;D Thank (insert your personal deity) that the free market does not control college sporting decisions.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

You've got to be kidding me.  He was going to clear the air with Henderson before a last minute change of position.  

You don't think he was going to publically decry CRM, and call for change before the season ended, and to the public do you?  The fact he even agreed to this interview initially doesn't bode well for those that want change.

This isn't as easy as a decision as some would want.  The pre-season losses of Dante Curry, and Howard hurt, Chris Capko, and Aris Williams.  Joe Henderson makes a valid point that injuries make the recruiting issues more glaring, and in previous seasons that would be the case but we entered this sesaon we had 12 scholarship players (if you include Capko) that's not a depth issue.  And any program that suffered season ending injuries to four players would have troubles.

For you gentlemen that seem to feel a need to attack anything that states a position other than total hatred for Mac JUST CHILL.  I am simply telling you what Woolard must take into account.  He can't ignore that those players, had they maintained their health, might have been good for 3-4 more wins for USF, and then this issue would have been moot.  This is why things are not cut and dry, and not to mention CRM is close to signing two other players in the late signing period...he signs those and he has 12-13 players returning for next year and 11 will be back for 2008, so the retention, recruiting stability issues isn't as big an issue as it once was.

Just be honest with yourselves before giving ignorant rants about how he's not doing this or, some player isn't that.  Those two aspects, coupled by the improved overall improved record does make this something Woolard needs to consider.  Oh, and the fact the buyout is over $400k, and the quality of candidates inquiring isn't going to inspire anyone to jump for joy.

Odd for Henderson to bring up Huggins like he did when it was all Tribune motivated on that issue, and there was no contact or flirting between USF and Huggins.  Maybe between an agent and a certain reporter but not between the other two parties.

excuses