• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If no CRM...then who???????????

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

If McCullum wins two more, he gets a two yr extension.

Shouldn't there be a smilie face or something there indicating sarcasm?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

Pelphrey would be nice, but the UK alum want him to come replace Tubby (who they want fired faster than the darksiders want RMC fired)

Chris Collins, an assistant at Duke would be my 1st choice. He's young, making less than 200k and is a bright mind. He lacks head coaching expierence and has lobbied for jobs to no avail.

ANother name is  Ronnie Arrow of arch nemesis Texas A&M -CC he's making a reported $140k range and has those guys winning.

UK wants him, but they're not going to hire him straight from USA.  They still have a lot of reservations about Ford, and this is his second year at UMASS, a bigger school.  (I think Ford will be awesome somewhere)

Stay away from Coach K "proteges".  Amaker, Snyder...

I've never heard of Arrow, but I like his name.

Former Pitino and UofL assistant Reggie Theus may be interested in joining the BigEast.  He's doing well at New Mexico State.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Theus is making 230k at NMSU, he is expected to get a contract extension and raise this offseason.  He will probably be one of the biggest names out there for open jobs (along with Grant and Lickliter)

Again, USF is not going to be able to get guys like Theus unless they are willing to commit 400k and some facility upgrades.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Doug Woolard will make a good decision when it comes time to hire our next coach. I also doubt he will give him a 6-year contract like our previous AD. That was LRS's lone mistake while at the helm of USF athletics.

BTW...I think Bobby Lutz would be a good coach for USF. He wouldn't cost a fortune, has a solid history of recruiting players and has a reputation as solid floor coach.

In addition, he is aware of USF's history b/c of all those years UNCC and USF were conference foes.

UNCC is severly misplaced in the A-10 and he may be looking for another challenge. His program is currently in rebuilding mode so I wouldn't judge him on his current record. Instead I would look at all those recent NCAAs trips he took out of C-USA.

Back in the day CUSA was a heck of hoops conference and the 49ers always competed every year.

Lutz may not take us to the promiseland, but he would certainly stablize the department.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

Lutz wouldn't be a bad hire.  I always thought he was a Charlotte guy though.(The city)  Isn't he from there, or something like that?  He certainly seemed to get the most out of his talent.  He was good at getting the diamonds in the rough, too.

Again, USF is not going to be able to get guys like Theus unless they are willing to commit 400k and some facility upgrades.

Well, that's what it all boils down to.  Without that commitment, the only shot the Bulls will have is if they find some super young hidden talent somewhere, a la Gillispie or Grant, before they make a name for themselves.

Otherwise, you're just going to have some retread that never was, or a has-been that wants to retire...er...earn a paycheck in Florida.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

The problem with Lutz is that he is coaching at his alma mater I believe.

I would jump for joy if we hired a guy like Chris Collins...

A duke guy.....reminds me a lot of a quinn snyder mold.

Season tickets would be purchased for somebody like him.

That Texas AM Corpus Crist coach seems to be decent.  That beat us every year..

Lickliter would be the best hire ever.

Not gonna happen though.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Grant is coaching all of Jeff Capel's players.

It was Jeff Capel's players -- Jeff Capel's hard work -- and Jeff Capel's recruiting that turned that program around.

My sister is a graduate of Virginia Commonwealth.

Anthony Grant might be a good coach -- but he DID NOT build that program.

Jeff Capel did -- and he is at Oklahoma now.

Grant has been there one freakin year.  Come on guys.

Ari,

I live 15 minutes from the VCU campus, and I get TONS of info every day from the paper, radio, & tv.  People here acknowledge what Capel did, but they are convinced that if Grant stays here for a while, he will be even better.

Capel inherited what was already a solid program himself.  VCU has a decently rich basketball tradition in the CAA, etc.

So take what Grant did at UF and in his one year here at VCU.

He's a good one.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

Doug Woolard will make a good decision when it comes time to hire our next coach. I also doubt he will give him a 6-year contract like our previous AD. That was LRS's lone mistake while at the helm of USF athletics.

How far ahead of our announcement of joining the BE was Mac hired? Maybe LRS already had a good indication that we would be joining and knew the monumental task ahead....

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Bobby Lutz would cost a lot, I understood he was making north of $400k at Charlotte, and it would take well north of that for him to come to USF in base salary.  bye bye.

The last I checked the hoops department is stabilized, that's not the problem it is performance, right?  What is meant by 'stability', if your talking about on the court we've got 10 returning players, 9 of which will be on the team in 08', it will be 11 once they sign two more in the late signing period.  That part is stable, IF we're searching for a new coach 'stability' is not what we're looking for, but wins.  

This is all specualtion if a new coach is sought at the end of this year.  

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

The problem with Lutz is that he is coaching at his alma mater I believe.

I would jump for joy if we hired a guy like Chris Collins...

A duke guy.....reminds me a lot of a quinn snyder mold.

Season tickets would be purchased for somebody like him.

That Texas AM Corpus Crist coach seems to be decent.  That beat us every year..

Lickliter would be the best hire ever.

Not gonna happen though.

And neither is Chris Collins, Coach K makes his kids hold out for the best opportunities like Michigan, and Missouri.  He will not advise Chris to take a job like USF.  TAMUCC has 20 wins and a shot to make the tourney again, I don't know the coach, I know a guy that does, and that may not be a bad proposition.  I agree no way we've got the doe for Lickliter.  Lutz is a UNCC guy, he's got job stability there and i think it would take far more than were willing to pay to get him, and I am sure he'd want a facility and budget increase guarantee.  I doubt that happens.