• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If you were the AD what would you do with Mac

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

No recruit is going to play for a coach who is in the last year of his contract, with a poor track record, and no talks of a contract extension.

Mac isn't a good recruiter anyway, and with poor results what's the difference? The next coach is gonna get handed a certain quality of product either way. At the rate we're going, bringing in some JUCO kids isn't going to make a difference in the long run. Many coaches go this route in the first couple years of building a program.

how will a no-name coach fill more seats and bring in more donors?

By putting a winning product out on the floor. Jose Fernandez was a no-name coach when he got here, the difference in the men's and women's programs is huge. If McCullum was having similar success as Fernandez you would see big attendance and the donors would surely follow.

Comparing men's and women's basketball is completely ridiculous.

Where is the huge attendance jump for Jose? How about the big donors for him? If they were the same then why hasn't he attracted either?

Doesn't RMC have one of the top Florida recruits coming in next year? We all salavated over him when he chose FSU. Everybody said Mac needed to land him or else. Now that he is transfering in nobody gives him credit.

Not ridiculous at all, considering Jose didn't come from a "pedigreed" background in coaching. If a similar coach on the men's side had similar success, you would see a lot more fans and eventually, donors.

McCullum might have reeled in a couple of nice recruits, but overall recruiting has been weak. He could have done a better job recruiting for the Big East, imo. We are a couple years into it and still struggle with depth of talent.

So you're saying we should bring in a guy whose only head coaching experience is at the high school level to coach our men's BE basketball team??

and you think he would have greater success than RMC??

That's crazy.

I find it funny that given the history of this program and all the obstacles it faces people still believe RMC should be bringing in McDonald's All Americans in our 2nd year of BE play.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Well it is plastered all over the newspapers and writers bolgs about what to do with Mac.  

Its not ?

Really

Why - cause no one cares.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Well no one cares but a few posters on this board.

Sad Sad Sad.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

This is hilarious; and disgusting.

Things couldn't be worse. Year after year USF proves that it has absolutely no interest in a winning bb program.

SG jumps ship to VTech, and he's going to win 20 games this year. We pass on Huggins who is also going to win 20 games.

We stick with this lame duck coach who hasn't been able to recruit ONE highly touted player to the BE...He hasn't even recruited ONE decent player out of highschool. ZERO conference road victories!!! This is freakin ridiculous.

Where are your expectations fellas?

How freakin stupid do you have to be to think he deserves another year? An extension?? You must be kidding.

Trip - You support any decision that DW makes? That is so weak. You should be in politics.

Rueb ~ Fighting for a better USF BB program

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Trip - You support any decision that DW makes? That is so weak.

Pardon me if I defer to someone whose actual job it is to make these type decisions. Someone who has a helluvalot more experience in making decisions than you yahoos in here or me... DW also has access to ALL the information needed to make a decision that will be in the best interest of the basketball program.

All the back and forth in here is fun but, bottom line, it doesn't mean crap in the overall scheme of things.

You should be in politics.

You're right ... and the first thing I would do is set up some kind of commission to investigate the ever increasing disease commonly known as schizophrenia.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'll ask again.  If we keep him, what do you do next year if the results are close to being the same?  It's a question that needs to be asked if you look at the big picture.  The answer is easy if he does turn it around, but what if he does not.  How long do you allow the program to continue to be in a state of disarray if he does not turn it around.

Assuming he's still here, if next year is not better than this year then I'd think DW would probably make a change. Next year will be the most talented team,  on paper, he will have had here.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe this same point was advanced a year ago.

As I recall, there were people calling for his head but the argument by many was that we should give him another year. This was followed by much enthusiasm by many pro-Mac types who exhuberantly proclaimed their optimism for next year.

How many times are we going to do this?

He had his years here, the team hasn't really improved greatly or at all. How many times will we just shrug our shoulders and hand the team over to a proven loser?

if I am the AD, i am willing to let the rest of the season play out taking into consideration the injuries and the fact that some of the players are really just now rounding into shape after being out for so long.  However, I am also keeping in mind that they have been back now long enough to have played together and to have experienced BE play.  I'm looking for significant improvement from here on in.  Maybe even needing to win all three.  That being said, I agree with your point about the same statements made last year.  I guess that was the point of my post.  I'm afraid if we let it drag on, we sink deeper.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Pardon me if I defer to someone whose actual job it is to make these type decisions.

This is an internet forum that discussing USF athletics; it's okay to have your own opinion. You should try it sometime.

You're right ... and the first thing I would do is set up some kind of commission to investigate the ever increasing disease commonly known as schizophrenia.

Good idea. While you're at it, try and figure out what causes pathetically low expectations, infinite patience, and unrewarded loyalty.

Rueb ~ Fight the power

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Pardon me if I defer to someone whose actual job it is to make these type decisions.

This is an internet forum that discussing USF athletics; it's okay to have your own opinion. You should try it sometime.

I've expressed my own personal opinion about Mac numerous times in here but I will support whatever decison DW makes.

Good idea. While you're at it, try and figure out what causes pathetically low expectations,

Low expectations?? I'm not the one wanting that underachieving slug, Huggy. I want a NC in hoops.

infinite patience,

I hardly call 2 years in one of the toughest hoops conferences in the country "infinite" .... Of course, I would expect someone with the attention span of a 5 yr old to think that, though.

and unrewarded loyalty.

I received a check from Mac in the mail just today... Wasn't a huge amount but it was something for my time.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

I received a check from Mac in the mail just today... Wasn't a huge amount but it was something for my time.

LOL...You deserve it.

I bet the check Huggy sent me last year was bigger.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Low expectations?? I'm not the one wanting that underachieving slug, Huggy.

Huggy is several orders of magnitude more accomplished than McCullum.