• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McCullum should not be in peril, players say!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

I have my opinion on it all Herman.  You make some valid points, but some I don't buy and that is fine.  If we all agreed it would get boring.  

Keep in mind, we did see players refuse to enter the game under Greenberg.  We saw players argue with Greenberg.  We saw players sit in the stands during the game under Greenburg.  The times now are just as tough (not quite in my opinion), but the team stays together and hasn't quit on the season, the coach, or the fans.

While many criticize Woolard on his style of waiting until the season is over to discuss performance, I adopted that stance a long time ago.  While I will come out to challenge non-truths and admonish people for being disrespectful, I have kept my personal opinion to myself.  I'd be happy to fill you all in after another couple weeks.

Until then, let's play ball.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

How can you not like Woolard's philosphy of waiting until the end of the year to comment.  It is a very professional way of handling things.  Just because he chooses not to make public statements doesn't mean he is not evaluating the situation daily.  

A couple of things about the article;  First, commendable that the leaders like Howard and Buckley are standing up.  I think that shows the leadership on the team.  I would find it interesting to hear Verdejo's take on the situation.  Some players have bought into Mac's program, others have simply been kicked off or left.  It doesn't necessarily make for an improved team.  One point about Mac's graduation rates.  If I am not wrong, at this point in time, I believe Howard is the closest to graduating with all four years of eligibility spent at USF.  Not trying to knock Mac, but just pointing out the facts.

I'm still going back and forth as to if we have truly improved as program.  It's not only the won/loss record, but the way we get blown out combined with the disaster in attendance.  I really am having a hard time understanding how we are in the middle of the worst four year run in attendance and we are going to have a down year vs last year again.

Using Woolard's stated goal of a "marked-vast improvement"...i'm just not seeing it.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Using Woolard's stated goal of a "marked-vast improvement"...i'm just not seeing it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I agree Mac stays. Doug doesn't fire anyone.

I say just give Mac a lifetime contract with a no fire clause.... That way we know that USF basketball will suck forever.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

I say just give Mac a lifetime contract with a no fire clause.... That way we know that USF basketball will suck forever.

With all respect, you're just diseased.  Maybe you should take a break.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Melvin Buckley sounds like a classy guy, but the record is overwhelming.

We didn't hire a preacher or a mentor, we hired a basketball coach.  And the core responsibility of that position is to win basketball games, graduate players and fill that Sun Dome.  He doesn't do any of those things very well.

There are countless lines on the resume that just add up to much to overlook.

10-51 in conference play.

15 straight losses last year in conference play.

Hasn't' had a winning season in four years.

Failed to even make the conference tournament 3 of the 4 years he has been here.

Revenue has to be rock bottom.

Attendance is non-existent.

If you can't fire this guy, then you aren't capable of firing anyone.

This party is over.  I don't even understand how someone could defend his record.  It is horrendous.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Mac's only chance was to make that conference tourny and win 6 games.  That doesn't look very likely.

USFMikeB?  You are in the forest.  The type of guy that would let a company go bankrupt because the CEO was a nice guy.

Life can be tough.  Sometimes you can work hard, think you did everything right, but it just didn't work out.

Mac has been a total failure by any objective standard.

And all this talk about restoring "integrity" to a program.  Our program wasn't run amuck with foul weather players before he got there.  Maybe BB Waldon was a little out of control, but Kohn, Swift, Altron Jackson, Arthur Reeves, Jimmy Baxter were all fine student athletes.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  0

Hey, I"m with you. APPARENTLY ALL YOU APOLOGISTS ARE RIGHT AND I'M A DUMBASS. let's sign up another 5 year hitch with this guy, 3 wins this year, maybe finish with up 4, hell, maybe 50% inprovement next year, we win what, 6??  As long as Wooly keeps scheduling the Buffalo States, etc, we'll win double digits, how in the freak could we want more?? WHAT HAVE I BEEN THINKING, THIS IS NIRVANA!!!!  Way to shoot high, Apologists, at least with this plane of vision, you won't shoot yourselves in the foot, maybe the balls, though....**** you guys are weak in the knees.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The players are in most cases going to stand up for their coach. If the players had a say Matt Dorherty would still be at UNC, Ron Zook would still be at Florida, and and Steve Lavin at UCLA. Those coaches were all “players coaches†who their players loved. The players are important parts of the program, and I’m happy that we don’t have a situation where they are butting heads with the coach. But ultimately what they believe is best for the program isn’t always the best because they love their coach. I don’t believe replacing RMC will bring the championships that the three examples I gave did (those were the only I could think of where the players publically came out and said the coaches should not be fired), but I believe this program won’t stay like this forever. Ultimately it is a decision for Wollard and his staff to make after the season has been finished.

The players feelings should be minimal when making this decision, do you think those players at UNC and UF really feel that making the coaching change was a bad decision now? They were championship teams almost immediately after the change. (Note: I DO not think changing coaches will bring championships upon championships, however, it can get USF out of the rut they’ve been in and hopefully compete more consistently in the Big East.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  0

p.s. oh, and by the way, use our little board here as the random sample of bulls zealots, Macandcheesers.  We have had 15 non-moderator posts on the game contest for each of the last two Bulls games, including tonight.  As best I can see, we have 250 to 300 members plowing through here, at least, each day.  Given that number of eyes seeing the contest and so few participating, and WE ARE THE ZEALOTS, your man Mac doesn't seem to be quite inciting the passion of the fans...and, umm, I, of course, would be wrong about raising the bar, same for Ari/Herman/Name of the Week, Flsportsfan, etc etc, I now think a lifetime contract is in order.  

ISNT LIFE GRAND??  GO MAC!!  p.s. maybe the same bleeding heart PR firm who got today's article in the fish wrap could get some folks to come to the games??