• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We need a scoring guard.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

and from what i have seen so far..  i think that james kid from Marquette is the best guard in the conference.

He is the one that made that beautiful lay-up drive with 20 seconds to go to tie the game.

We don't have anyone that is capable of that.

You're saying we have no one that can dribble down the court and make a layup?  It was a fastbreak layup off a steal - 3rd graders can do that.  That play was nothing spectacular except he wasn't called for the charge.

This is where I will exit the conversation.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Brad, he is talking about the drive that kid James had to tie the game with about 20 seconds left.  It was pretty sick he went chest to chest with one of our big men and when our guy starting coming down he laid it in.  was a HUGE basket for them.  Now if you have a 3rd grader that can do that what is his name, im buying his name.com right now.  you sure your players never got caught with pot?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

You're right...I was skimming the post...I thought the reference would be made to the game winning shot.  My mistake.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

James' layup was spectacular... but what made it spectacular, other than how **** clutch it was... was that it was a circus shot.  He was off balance.  Just an incredible shot... and luck was on his side as well.  And yes... that final shot was a charge.  Howard had position...but they will never call that on the last play of the game, especially against a top 15 team.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I often question the motivation of some individuals, particularly their insinuations after watching two minutes of the hoops games and getting frustrated.

Howard, right now, is not his usually explosive self.  Understandably so because he's still getting confidence with his knee, and it's been sore.  With that being said he's dribble penetrated quite a bit lately, he had trouble against SJU in the first half because of that extended 3-2 zone took away the good lanes.  Howard has also demonstrated a very good innate ability to post up smaller guards.  He did it a few times against Marquette, and Tory Johnson of ND.  Next year, when Howard's 100% back to health he's going to be a fun guard to watch because he has a vast array of talents and is smart enough with tons of basketball acumen to know when to use it...like when he scored a duece against Quette posting up 5-11 at best Damien James...Howard is a full 6-3 and that's smart, it's hard to dribble penetrate against James but easy to drop the ball to Gransberry at the top of the key to clear out, and then take a post move on the block against James-- it was done three times against Quette for 2 baskets--- that's a good point guard.

As for shooting/scoring guards well Buckley fits the mold and he's a very good scorer however keep in mind Aaron Holmes shot nearly 50% from three point range in HS, drop in 9 or more three times as a senior.  Curry is a very similar player to Buckley but a tad more explosive, with slightly better ability to dribble penetrate.  Holmes at 6-4, and Curry at 6-6 will give us two tremendous swing guards that can dribble penetrate and shoot the rock.  Last year the top three guards in FL were 1. Holmes, 2. Derwin Kitchen (went to St. John ironically) and 3. Dante Curry.  

This year's only signee is Dominique Jones who is a pure shooter, a decent dribble penetrator, nothing great like Holmes, Curry, or Zeus, but Jones can flat out shoot it.

Next year the team will have far more outside shooting options then this year.  Also, if the rumors are correct that the 6-8 HCC Center will sign with USF this will give us an immediate replacement for Mattis.  Not quite the jumper of Mattis but a very similar game with much more size.

So, if you're fretting that Buckley is our only legit outside shooting guard, and he and Zeus are the only scoring threat at guard don't worry because lots of help is on the way.  My bigger concern is finding good enough talent now to replace Gransberry after next season.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Thanks SBein that was one nice guard breakdown. Nice to see that the ship is being righted...Ty

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Again -  it is always about the future.  Sorry guys, I support this team 100% but our guard play doesn't scare anyone in the BE and I find this ironic since when Mac came here he was a run and gun -up tempo - three guard type offense - That was his game.  I give Mac alot of credit for recognizing that he doesn't have those players and has gone to a slow deliberate type offense.

Howard - a freshman and he is doing ok but he does look slow.  Will he get faster next year when his knee gets stronger - Hope so but right now he looks slow.  He has a good feel for the game especially for a freshman.  I guess I don't understand when someone says something about Howard or other players he/she gets bashed.

Gransberry/Mattius - They are the stars of this team.

We really do need a Reggie Kohn(healthy) type shooter at guard and probably one more off the bench.  Is that player coming in or on our bench now ?  Maybe but haven't seen him yet.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Yes... Aaron Holmes.  People get bashed for bashing Howard because it makes no sense.  Any player recovering from an ACL tear happening in August is going to be slow.  Regardless of if he is a bit slow right now... he's still beating the press, and still dribbling past these so called faster defenders and it is because he is smart.  He had an off game against St Johns, and he was still a huge factor in the comeback.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

It hasn't just been the St. Johns game.

Neither of our guards posses any ability to penetrate.  Herm says they are freshmen.  I don't know though.  I like Howards floor presence and his ability to distribute the baketball -- but he a minimal threat when it comes to taking it to the basket.

Kohn coulnd't penetrate either -- but he was very capable of knocking down the outside shot.  Howard doesn't posses that ability.

I am interested to see what the kid from Poinciena can do.

I have said it a couple of times on this board.  If bozeman doesn't start to play better he might be riding the pine next year with curry and holmes coming into the lineup..

He has totally fallen off the table since entering big east play.

ari

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

He has totally fallen off the table since entering big east play.

He has only played in BE play.  So the only table he could have fallen off would have been the operating table.  give the guy a chance.  I know he makes mistakes but lets just all agree we lose because of our coach, not our point guard.