• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Rod Smith Record

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

And yeah -- Ok buddy..  He got demoted to QB coach at West Va.  The school that has one of the to QB's in the country.

So you don't think anywhere in the conversation for that postion Rich Rodriguez said "Hey I Like what you do and did with that Grothe kid,  I think Pat could really be helped by your insight, come back to West Va."

YOu think that never came up ??  

Come on man.  I was born at night, but not last night.  I don't think Rich Rodriguez would be turning over his Golden QB to some bum he didn't think was a worth a grain of salt.

Your analysis is so absurd.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

I think both sides have valid points.I think he was good coach though.Just ask yourself how many times you have been watching a game and you thought what can of can was that!!!!!!?or on 3rd down you found yourself thinking plz dont call that plz that call that play and BOOM!!!he called that play and we had to punt.

How many times did Grothe save his ass.Breaking tackles,avoiding sacks and making a long run.If Grothe wasnt Grothe those numbers would be wayyyyyyy  down!!!I dont think anyone can argue against that.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

2006 statistics heading into the bowl game:

Defensive rank in yards per game: National 24th, Big East 2nd

Offensive rank in yards per game: National 42nd, Big East 4th

Rod Smith nominated as offensive guru: Not hardly. Glad to see him go. Maybe we will finally stop running the quarterback up the middle, out of a pass blocking set, 4 out of every 10 plays, for 3 yards. I think we should expect more from our offensive coordinator than the inconsistent offense we have seen over the last two seasons. The 23 point per game average seems good on the surface, but 37 against UNC and 3 against UC in consecutive weeks gives us a 20 point per game average, but no shot at winning both  games. We can debate his successes/failures all night, but the data shows he is barely average, and no where near the guru he has been portrayed as in this thread.

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Smith was an average OC at best. If he didnt have a top 25 defense that helped him out with field position on a daily baises we may not even call him average. For the few games that he called a good game, he had just as many that were disasters. The others where average. We will definitly survive the loss of him.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Outgained 9 of the 13 teams we played this year.  

If we stink, I guess those other offenses are just garbage

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Outgained 9 of the 13 teams we played this year.  

If we stink, I guess those other offenses are just garbage

Again, defense defense defense

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

And yeah -- Ok buddy..  He got demoted to QB coach at West Va.  The school that has one of the to QB's in the country.

So you don't think anywhere in the conversation for that postion Rich Rodriguez said "Hey I Like what you do and did with that Grothe kid,  I think Pat could really be helped by your insight, come back to West Va."

YOu think that never came up ??  

Come on man.  I was born at night, but not last night.  I don't think Rich Rodriguez would be turning over his Golden QB to some bum he didn't think was a worth a grain of salt.

Your analysis is so absurd.

I got your back on this one, Ari. While I wouldn't classify RS as an offensiive genius, I never thought he was as bad as most on the board thought. With a few exceptions, the offense in previous years didn't work, other than handing off to Andre, because of execution, not playcalling.