• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg Frey

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  0

Anyone who calls Coach Frey a traitor is an idiot.

He worked his first year here for free.

He was tied for Leavitt as the longest tenured coach here (11 years). I'm sure he had other offers this year and others he did not take.

WVU is a great job for an OL coach, they have two of the top rushing threats in the country and they are top 5 every year. In this business if you want to move up you have to move around.

I dont care what the SPTimes said there is no way USF can match WVU's total compensation package, if so then why was he making only 95k last year? Again, this is a business and people need to make  the best business decisions for their futures.

Anyone who has ever met Greg Frey knows he is a hell of a person. That's why he is such a great recruiter and his friends and former players are so loyal. No one has given more to USF.

He is the defintion of a stand up guy, and if you ever get the chance to meet him you'll see that right away. So I have a problem with anyone who calls him a traitor.

He'll never bash USF, so don't bash him. It makes us look small. Root for him, every game except for when we play them. In the end it makes us look good.

In the end we'll be fine, and so will he. Be careful who you bash, you make yourself like an idiot.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24

That is one of the better posts that  I have seen on this message board. Greg Frey is a stand up guy. He has been so loyal for so long, but you must move to excel. Leavitt has moved around a good amount himself and of course he is not moving now. If you had the chance to start from stratch as leavitt has been able to, why would you get rid of it. This is no way Frey and Leavitts program, it Leavitts and its his baby. What ever success comes from here is directly related to him and nobody else can really say that. (schnellenberger, but lets be for real.)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

He was tied for Leavitt as the longest tenured coach here (11 years). I'm sure he had other offers this year and others he did not take.

WVU is a great job for an OL coach, they have two of the top rushing threats in the country and they are top 5 every year. In this business if you want to move up you have to move around.

I dont care what the SPTimes said there is no way USF can match WVU's total compensation package, if so then why was he making only 95k last year? Again, this is a business and people need to make  the best business decisions for their futures.

Anyone who has ever met Greg Frey knows he is a hell of a person. That's why he is such a great recruiter and his friends and former players are so loyal. No one has given more to USF.

He is the defintion of a stand up guy, and if you ever get the chance to meet him you'll see that right away. So I have a problem with anyone who calls him a traitor.

He'll never bash USF, so don't bash him. It makes us look small. Root for him, every game except for when we play them. In the end it makes us look good.

In the end we'll be fine, and so will he. Be careful who you bash, you make yourself like an idiot.

No doubt, it's tough to see him leave for a conference rival but remember that one of his best friends is on staff there- Calvin Magee (ex-Bulls coach).  No coincidence, and this was probably inevitable at some point that Magee was going to get him up there.  Tough to see him go, we'll survive, he kept us on good footing and recruiting has gone well at that position, but given the contacts on the WVU staff this move had to be expected somewhat.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

DMince - USF could afford to match as a result of Leavitt's last contract negotiation that increase the assistant coaching pool each year.  If it was short I'm sure Woolard would've approved it.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

I dont care what the SPTimes said there is no way USF can match WVU's total compensation package, if so then why was he making only 95k last year?  

"Leavitt said he'd told Smith and Frey he'd match the offers. Smith was making $106,000, Frey $95,000." - Greg Auman

So according to you either Greg Auman or Jim Leavitt was lying.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Rod Smith also has ties to RichRod.  The moves make alot of sense.

• Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  873

But it's not like he's leaving to go to Michigan or USC or the NFL.  He's going to another Big East team...one that we BEAT!  What's so wrong with USF that he has to leave us like that.  He's a jerk

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

If his goal is to be a head coach someday then  this moves makes sense. Yes we beat them last year BUT WV is more of a name school in football circles than USF is. They will start the season higher ranked than us. If he produces there it will only help him springboard somewhere else.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  67

I was told by someone in the department that they did offer to match Frey's salary. What they couldn't match was the bonus money that the WVU assistants receive. I was told it is quite significant. This coupled with the change of scenery and the fact that he gets to work with his best friend factored into his decision. I appreciate his time here. I can remember when he and some of the other assistants would work the softball fields for extra money early on.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He will be missed.  He did nothing but his very best while at USF.  For this everyone should be grateful.  

Time moves on and so do people.   I wish him well.  I only wish that he wasn't going to a team that we play annually.