• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mountaineers are Raiding Our Coaching Staff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Looks like Gregory has plenty of experience and I've been excited about Simmonds since he got here.

Dear Rod Smith,  

You made the right choice. Good luck making West Virginia suck. We'll give you a proper thank you next season in Tampa.  

Sincerely,  

Your pal Shoop

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

One thing to remember if it hasn't already been mentioned (didn't read pages 2 & 3 of this thread), Rod played his college football in WV with RichRod as his head coach.  He's from that area of the country and may have family up there.  So not really that treacherous to move.  The timing is probably not exactly good.  And I don't think conference foes should raid each others staffs.  It will definitely kill the conference love for each other.  It goes to show you that it's always about the money.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

BullDoug, Rod Smith did not play for WVU, he played for Glenville State or something like that as a QB under Rich Rod, but he did not play for WVU.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Frey is the bigger loss, but a 50 G pay raise is hard to pass up. This is going to affect our preparation for the WVU game. I hate playing against a former coach, they know your teams strengths and weaknesses inside out.  

With that said, lets make it 2 in a row this year.

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  358

This is really not such a bad thing.

Now, we'll have a clue as to what WVU's quarterback and OL coachs are thinking.  :)

And...

According to this article by Greg Auman:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/23/Sports/Two_top_offensive_ass.shtml

Leavitt said he'd told Smith and Frey he'd match the offers.

So they did NOT leave for the money!

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Traitor signs for the WVU games work well!!!! >:(

But I just noticed something. A lot has been said about Rod but not too much on Frey. HMMM! Maybe more to the story here?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125

It will definitely kill the conference love for each other.  It goes to show you that it's always about the money.

BullDoug, Rod Smith did not play for WVU, he played for Glenville State or something like that as a QB under Rich Rod, but he did not play for WVU.

I didn't say "for" WVU.  I said "in" WV.   Glenville State is in WV.  There's a difference.  I also played in WV at Concord College as did one of USF's current OTs.  RichRod was his OC or HC at Glenville State.  There is actually a whole college football conference in WV.  Used to be NAIA but I believe its DII now.  Here's some more WV football history, Terry Bowden coached at Salem College in WV before he coached at Auburn.  I know 'cuz I played against his team of D1 academic rejects.  Ever seen a 6'-8" TE?  I have.  He played at Salem College.  BTW, ever time I tell someone I played football in WV everyone assumes its WVU.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

...BTW, ever time I tell someone I played football in WV everyone assumes its WVU.

Naahhhh...some of us figured you were on the Huntington Work Release Center squad.

It is not always about the money.  Maybe the WVU job is a better job?  Top 5 team, better talent, sold out stadiums, a true college town, 25k traveling to Bowl Games, and an opportunity to play for all the marbles.  I could see a lot of reasons why working for WVU, Louisville, Pitt, or RU would be a better place for an assistant.

I have been saying it for quite a while, until USF gets an on-campus stadium, travels better, creates a true college football environment, and pasy the assistants better than the lowest in the conferemce. we will be a stepping stone no matter how many wins we have.  All those jobs would be considered better jobs than USF.  The University has to step up if they want to compete.  My prediction USF 6-6 next year.  Can't replace half your staff and expect to march on.  Biggest losses Clark and Frey, both lines in one year.  

The "always about the money" quote wasn't about the immediate salaries of Smith & Frey.  It was about going to a program with more money/alumni support in general which begets bigger opportunities.  I believe I mentioned Smith having family in WV which the Tampa Trib verifies that hypothesis of mine this morn.  The move makes since for Frey and Smith.  Smith would not have a chance at stepping into a BCS HC job from USF nor Frey an OC position.  The WVU OL coached moved to FSU for big bucks.  For Frey this is a stepping stone.  Rod sees a chance to be the OC at WVU which pays more than USF I'm sure and be with his family yr round.  And that 6-6 prediction...and I was called Chicken Little  ::).