• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Official Steve Duemig Dump on post

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  105
  • Days Won:  0

Joe the thing is, he  almost has a monopoly of sports radio in the area, and usually does well in the ratings compared to everything (not just sports or talk). [highlight]And this past season he hosted a national college football sports talk show on Sat. morning.[/highlight]

On this note, I can tell you that sports show is pre-empted in many parts of the country.  Saturday mornings are prime spots for local shows.  Deumig's national show is carried in Tampa because of his Tampa affiliation...

I will take a little exception with the 'Lighthall does not talk up USF' comment.  (sorry, I think I read this from an above post, but I'm not real hip on the quote and highlight thing, this was my first time to do that... so if I screwed it up I only screwed it up once)  Jim and Tom give the updates on 1010, they are not expected by anyone at 1010 to come up with a topic.  Neither one of them are afraid to talk USF, as a matter of fact, when Al Keck or the SportChix mention USF, they ask Lighthall, who is, I think, the most informative Bulls source in the Tampa Bay area.  If there is any USF happenings, Jim and Tom will probably have it as their lead story.  And the Chix do interview both Coach Fernandez and Coach Prado Wednesdays from 5-6pm at the Bull Ring (although next week the show will be on Monday as the girls will be in Miami for SuperBowl)... an hour that brings USF athletics to the limelight in PM drive time

Also, for those who feel there needs to be more USF talk, 1010 is now local in the morning.  Tom Krasniqi does 6-7am and it is open for your phone calls.  I do a show from 7-9am, and it too is open to phone calls.  There is plenty of opportunity to talk USF on 1010... rarely would I shy away from talking USF (although today was probably one of those days as it was a big day for Tony and a pretty miserable weekend for the Bball teams)... probably a good alternative to those who despise Sileo

Even Tony Bruno talked USF... albeit, when the Coach Fernandez, American Idol comments came out... not a lot of national shows did that

If anyone has any concerns about what 1010 does or not does (is that right?) feel free to email at pepper@wqyk.com and I will do my best to answer the questions you may have

Mike Pepper

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

If Duemig was as piss poor as you guys make him out to be, he wouldn't be as popular in the Bay Area as he has been...FOR YEARS!

Yes, he makes himself look like an idiot at times, but who doesn't?

What he plays to is what the market wants to hear which unfortunately is UF, FSU, UM, The Bucs, The Lightning, etc...

And for those of you who think the sports chicks are more informative...wow...you know NOTHING about sports.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Thank you Mike.  At least I won't have to listen to Silio on my way to work in the A.M.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

If Duemig was as piss poor as you guys make him out to be, he wouldn't be as popular in the Bay Area as he has been...FOR YEARS!

Obviously, Duemig is great for what he is, an entertainer, and that's why he's lasted so long ... like Jerry Springer has on TV... probably a lot of the same audience, too.   ;)

Joe the thing is, he  almost has a monopoly of sports radio in the area, and usually does well in the ratings compared to everything (not just sports or talk). [highlight]And this past season he hosted a national college football sports talk show on Sat. morning.[/highlight]

On this note, I can tell you that sports show is pre-empted in many parts of the country.  Saturday mornings are prime spots for local shows.  Deumig's national show is carried in Tampa because of his Tampa affiliation...

I will take a little exception with the 'Lighthall does not talk up USF' comment.  (sorry, I think I read this from an above post, but I'm not real hip on the quote and highlight thing, this was my first time to do that... so if I screwed it up I only screwed it up once)  Jim and Tom give the updates on 1010, they are not expected by anyone at 1010 to come up with a topic.  Neither one of them are afraid to talk USF, as a matter of fact, when Al Keck or the SportChix mention USF, they ask Lighthall, who is, I think, the most informative Bulls source in the Tampa Bay area.  If there is any USF happenings, Jim and Tom will probably have it as their lead story.  And the Chix do interview both Coach Fernandez and Coach Prado Wednesdays from 5-6pm at the Bull Ring (although next week the show will be on Monday as the girls will be in Miami for SuperBowl)... an hour that brings USF athletics to the limelight in PM drive time

Also, for those who feel there needs to be more USF talk, 1010 is now local in the morning.  Tom Krasniqi does 6-7am and it is open for your phone calls.  I do a show from 7-9am, and it too is open to phone calls.  There is plenty of opportunity to talk USF on 1010... rarely would I shy away from talking USF (although today was probably one of those days as it was a big day for Tony and a pretty miserable weekend for the Bball teams)... probably a good alternative to those who despise Sileo

Even Tony Bruno talked USF... albeit, when the Coach Fernandez, American Idol comments came out... not a lot of national shows did that

If anyone has any concerns about what 1010 does or not does (is that right?) feel free to email at pepper@wqyk.com and I will do my best to answer the questions you may have

Mike Pepper

I need to remember to turn to 1010 in the morning now. Ever since Imus left 1250 whenever I do turn it on in the AM, I usually go to Sileo by default ... a man can only take so much.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  64

pep, the fact that you are here says a lot to me. Sorry to say that I forgot about 1010 after it went to "the Buzz". I have to tune in again in the mornings.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Seriously though...how do the Sports Chicks continue to get renewed?

Are they blood-relatives of the programming director or CEO? Or is it

that alternate programming is so cost prohibitive? This one has me baffled,

because I can't believe their numbers are that substantive. Then again, I

may be giving the local market too much credit... 8-)

because I can't believe their numbers are that substantive. Then again, [highlight]I

may be giving the local market too much credit... [/highlight]8-)

Considering that the subject of this thread has had so much success in this market, you're definitely giving the local market way too mch credit.  8-)

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  105

because I can't believe their numbers are that substantive. Then again, I

may be giving the local market too much credit... 8-)

Without getting into a debate of the likes/dislikes of the Chix, the SportChix can bring out the human side in just about every interview subject... what they are able to accomplish at an event like Radio Row at the SuperBowl is unparallelled... there are guests that are lined up to talk to the girls... if I were to use a contrast, for example, Steve Deumig (because he is the topic of this thread), nobody wants to talk to the guy (not picking on him, just the facts)... guests have to be begged and pleaded to do the interview, they know they will be asked one set of questions and then potentially be blindsided when they leave, only to find out about it much later

I have seen Boomer Esiason doing an interview with the Chix, only to see Deion Sanders, Dan Marino, Rich Eisen, and others waiting their turn... perhaps the girls knowledge of sports is not what yours or mine is, and perhaps their style is not necessarily your style of choice, but they do get a lot of respect from the guests as the guests know they will get a lot of respect from the girls... and they work extremely hard to do something that may not come as natural to them as it does to others...

If you truly were looking for an answer, I hope was able to answer your somewhat sarcastic question.

Mike Pepper

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this guy sure draws alot of attention for our  members