• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Band Funding

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

It looks like the current efforts to help fund the band and make them more self dependant are working!  The man Pres. Genshaft put in charge of finding solutions has made more headway in 2 months than has been done in 4 years!  

This is exactly what the program needs, as the band's staff has other responsibilities (not that they shouldn't or have not helped, but they have to teach!).  I'm very happy to see this coming along, I can only hope for even more progress over the rest of this year.

Of course, this isn't the time to give up and say the band has enough funding.  Gifts in kind, any donation, helps.  Maybe it's an  physical item or money.  Either way... the band may use it or sell it for profit.

Donation link is always in my signature: http://usfweb2.usf.edu/ua/affmb/flash/

Go to the foundation website if you are donating anything other than money: http://giving.usf.edu/Ways+You+Can+Give/

(Try e-mailing the band to see if they can use whatever you are giving them!) (Ex: Trailors, trucks, lifts, etc)

Work for a major company?  Matching gifts!: http://www.matchinggifts.com/usf/

As always... GO BULLS! :GoBulls

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I've said it before, and I'm tellin ya,  H.O.T. CD's You guys could make a killing selling these at the Preseason Tailgate, the B-ball Games, the Preseason Tailgate, All football games and at the Preseason Tailgate in Pinellas county coming up in a few months at Capogna's dugout....   ;)   Get the hint?

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

What kind of fundrasing does HOT do throughout the year?

I was a member for 4 years, and I don't recall any fundrasing efforts from my time in the band.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Almost all fundraising is done by the foundation and others.  Band memebrs themselves do not get involved, as a normal college student + band duties = little time.  

As far as the CD, they REALLY want to create one too.  One is STILL in the works, and is possible in the future.  I assume we are still stuck on buying the rights to copyrighted songs.  Not sure.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479

I know they are working on it, but I think that a CD would be a huge success.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

re: the CD: I know that the current issue is getting copyrights for the songs that HOT doesn't own. What about in the meantime (or maybe for good, if it ends up going that route) releasing an EP of a few songs you do own? the Bull, the Alma Mater, the Fight Song, whatever  downs cheers aren't based on another song, March V, and maybe a fight song "remix" where you drop out to percussion and low brass and have everyone else sing the fight song? That's a solid 6 tracks that you could perhaps sell (for a lower price than otherwise intended, of course)

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  32

Yes, you're exactly right.  We're still in production/copyright purgatory.  We have released a few of our 'standard' tracks for FREE download.  You can get them at:  http://band.arts.usf.edu/media.htm

The latest plan is to release a CD with all the USF stuff we have, with just a few other tracks that aren't year specific (no halftime shows).  With this setup, we could make a large order to keep the cost down.

The real issue holding up this project is the source of funding to pay for the 'up front' costs of  production.  Even though we're fairly sure we'll sell whatever we order, the powers-that-be (understandably) aren't very excited about taking that kind of chance.

As usual - we'll keep you updated on any developments.

GO BULLS!

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

What you really need is an old rich jewish guy who hates his wife and wants to make sure she doesn't get any of his estate.

I would check out the nursing homes for some H.O.T leads.

Shalom.

ari

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

Almost all fundraising is done by the foundation and others.  Band memebrs themselves do not get involved, as a normal college student + band duties = little time.  

If the track and soccer teams go around football and basketball games selling game day programs, why are you guys too busy to earn a buck?

Just an opinion.  It would seem bands would be in a great position to put forth some effort to earn their keep since they eat up a lot of money because of their size.  You dont need to sell candy bars but you provide services that by their nature fans would pay for.  IE - CDs, pep band performances at city events the the understanding that a donation would be made...etc.

Band uniforms themselves cost thousands of dollars for something that is worn a handful of times a year...and to be frank, could be replaced by swooshie/warm-up pants and t-shirts and still get the job done looking good.   You gotta look at the big picture.  How many footballs and pads could you buy with that money?

Not stirring the pot - promise.