• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HOT and Flip Folders... by Bobcat99

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

I wouldn't say the 110 is Big 10 style... I'd say we're more SWAC style. Most of the comments I heard from USM fans at the GMAC bowl were along the lines of "I've never seen white kids move like that." But the UCF routine done a few years ago wasn't the same routine as was ever done in Athens, it was the "road show" which is kind of a "greatest hits" routine they do at out-of-state away games.

UCF's band is certainly good but I am amused at anyone who thinks they "schooled" the 110. The 110 actually has been known to "school" opponents; see the GMAC when they adlibbed-back Beyonce right after the Pride of Mississippi gave it their shot.

Look, band smack is really lame, I just want my alma mater USF to project the best image to our opponents. Like it or not, the HOT is a public face of the quality of our university, and flip folders make us look like amateurs. Just like we expect the quality of our sports to improve upon joining the Big East, our peripherals should as well. I think the Sundolls have been fantastic at rising to the challenge; I hope the HOT can do the same.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

I agree.  Flips stink... but I would give it a little more time.  Peer efforts were already started to get flips off the field last year... getting better every year.

I care more about the uniforms, eh....

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

And do you know what bands are included in that 39% of bands that use flips?  Maybe a Band like Ohio State ("the best d@mn band in the land")!  

The OSU band is horrible. Did anyone see them perform at the BCS Championship? They're embarassing. Not only are they not the best band in the land, they're not even the best band in the state of Ohio.

That having been said, you'll never see them on the field with flips. EVER. Their crappy pep band has been sighted with flips at hockey games on occasion.

The Ohio Marching 110, on the other hand, is a non-music band in all performances and locations. That's been the policy in Athens since the 70's at the very least, back when they were the "110 Marching Men of Ohio." Even alumni aren't allowed to use music on band day -- you're expected to know your music and tech when you show up on campus.

I saw Ohios band play at UCF and when UCF went up to Athens the year after (02 and 03 I guess).

Ohios band is awesome.  Your right, they aren't very Big 10...except for the fact that they do the block formations and some highstepping....unlike southern bands that tend to do more fluid shapes on the field and not high step.  Ohio is basically a white FAMU with the only exception, and possible flaw, that they break it down to "white people music."  I think Madonna was a part of the show in Orlando..............................................................

Fun fact:  FSUs band, back when they become "known" had a Big 10 director and because most of their fans never saw a Big 10 school or band before FSU started playing better teams and going to bowl games consistently, they believed they invented everything that the northern bans do.  They believe this to the point of naming it "Chief Step" - a point of pride for their program - which is nothing more than an exaggeration of what had been done for a 100 years at other schools in another part of the country.  FSUs "Standing Chiefs" (300 people, not much room to breathe let alone "march") will be the first to tell you that they were on the cover of Sports Illustrated in the 80s, but all in all are a joke of an organization and their zero entertainment value made it an easy decision for the school to sub in high school bands for some road games, including their bowl game this year rather then send even a pep band.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  135

funny how many ex-band pimps (not nerds) there are here

when i was in HS we would use flip folders for halftime, but that's only because we changed our show EVERY WEEK....even then i never used one, but i've always been able to memorize sheet music quickly

only time we weren't allowed to use them was for festivals, competitions, and when we performed the first two years of USF halftimes

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Wow...

Really?        is this all we have to ***** about on this board...?

As long as they get the friggin song right, who gives a s#!^ ????

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

And do you know what bands are included in that 39% of bands that use flips?  Maybe a Band like Ohio State ("the best d@mn band in the land")!  

The OSU band is horrible. Did anyone see them perform at the BCS Championship? They're embarassing. Not only are they not the best band in the land, they're not even the best band in the state of Ohio.

That having been said, you'll never see them on the field with flips. EVER. Their crappy pep band has been sighted with flips at hockey games on occasion.

The Ohio Marching 110, on the other hand, is a non-music band in all performances and locations. That's been the policy in Athens since the 70's at the very least, back when they were the "110 Marching Men of Ohio." Even alumni aren't allowed to use music on band day -- you're expected to know your music and tech when you show up on campus.

TBDBITL's show as filmed by Fox at the BCS Nat'l Championship Game is by no means a measure of the program. Here's the same show, filmed with a stationary camera:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7729292003189598739&pr=goog-sl

Don't get me wrong though, I love the 110 too... and they don't have to be the SWAC North or anything else, they are what they are--a VERY good program of their own right. And the MAC's no slouch of a marching conference either.

And now, to be on topic, my opinion is no flips on the field. But whatever.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

You also have to realize that, unlike some schools, we play three distinct field shows each marching season.  UCF has rotating field shows, so by your Sophomore/Junior year,  most if not all the shows should be memorized very easily.

Just food for thought...

Actually, UCF's Marching Knights put on a new show for EVERY home game...and oh, no sheet music (flip folders).

UCF might have a "best of show" for the last home game of the year, like they did last year when UCF had 7 home games.

Just thought I would put in some facts into this discussion.

Now...please continue with your Flip Folder Smack (maybe the first one EVER on the internet!).

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  32

The Flip Folder policy of the HOT Band is:  We strongly encourage our members to memorize their music and march WITHOUT a flip folder.  However, if individuals do not accoplish this goal, we ask them to march WITH a flip folder.  Yes, it looks better if we do not use them - but that is a responsibility we put on the members at an individual level.  

This has been the policy of every college marching band I have been associated with (UCF, UGA, and USF).  

I'm sorry Knight Light - I still have much love for my UCF Knights (but more for my USF Bulls!), but I must correct you.

...and oh, no sheet music (flip folders).

From 9/26/06 UCF vs. Southern Miss

IMG_0932_81028.jpg

IMG_0940_81033.jpg

IMG_0941_81034.jpg

I hope this clears up the HOT's policy on Flip Folders for everyone - and I SINCERELY hope my post officially ends this thread.

If you would like to further discuss HOT issues, please write me at:  jschnett@mail.usf.edu

Thanks - GO BULLS!

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

The Flip Folder policy of the HOT Band is:  We strongly encourage our members to memorize their music and march WITHOUT a flip folder.  However, if individuals do not accoplish this goal, we ask them to march WITH a flip folder.  Yes, it looks better if we do not use them - but that is a responsibility we put on the members at an individual level.  

This has been the policy of every college marching band I have been associated with (UCF, UGA, and USF).  

From 9/26/06 UCF vs. Miss St.

If you would like to further discuss HOT issues, please write me at:  jschnett@mail.usf.edu

Thanks - GO BULLS!

Mr. John Schnettler,

UCF never played Miss St last year.

I'm sorry you feel so inadequate about your own Marching Band about comments/suggestions  from your fellow USF fans.

I guess you don't like it when some of your own fans offer advice on how to possibly make your band better (which I think is pretty good as is).

I know Ron and the gang at UCF are VERY open to ideas from fellow UCF fans...maybe it will work for you.

Good luck!

Enjoy the photos John!

IMG_0903_81014.jpg

IMG_0910_81016.jpg

IMG_0911_81017.jpg

IMG_0913_81019.jpg

IMG_0917_81021.jpg

IMG_0928_81026.jpg

IMG_0929_81027.jpg

IMG_0933_81029.jpg

PS. If you are really amazed how the Marching Knights memorize their music...but have concern about a few that might of missed practice that week, maybe your former pal Ron can fill you in...about why they missed practiced.

Just call...if you are really concerned...I'm sure he will be glad to help.