• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HOT and Flip Folders... by Bobcat99

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  32
  • Days Won:  0

My apologies:  It was UCF vs. Southern Miss

I provided my email address so that I COULD recieve comments/suggestions from fans.  Dr. Robinson and I have always made our email addresses public so we can receive compliments, criticisms, and suggestions from anyone who wants to give them.

As I said before, I hope my clarification of the HOT Flip Folder policy will end this discussion.  I never would have thought it would reach 3 pages on an Athletics message board!

I don't post often here, so if anyone ever wants to discuss ANY HOT Band related issue, please contact me.  

Thanks!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Actually, UCF's Marching Knights put on a new show for EVERY home game...and [highlight]oh, no sheet music (flip folders).[/highlight]

****, those sure look like flip folders to me ..... [smiley=loser.gif]

IMG_0932_81028.jpg

IMG_0940_81033.jpg

IMG_0941_81034.jpg

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6

knight_light. maybe you should think hard to ucf's and usf's most recent show down before comparing bands. ucf is not even in the same category as usf's band, let alone can they compete with us (football or band wise). if i can recall (by looking at ucf message boards) your band was dissed by their own fans at how horrible they were compared to usf's band (which ucf's band is more than twice as old as we are). so before you start dissing our band for having flips, maybe ucf's band should add more of them. and we use flips because we have three shows with threes songs each (thats nine full length songs), and over 50 stands tunes. so if you think its that easy to play without a flip, come join the band and show what you got.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

knight_light. maybe you should think hard to ucf's and usf's most recent show down before comparing bands. ucf is not even in the same category as usf's band, let alone can they compete with us (football or band wise). if i can recall (by looking at ucf message boards) your band was dissed by their own fans at how horrible they were compared to usf's band (which ucf's band is more than twice as old as we are). so before you start dissing our band for having flips, maybe ucf's band should add more of them. and we use flips because we have three shows with threes songs each (thats nine full length songs), and over 50 stands tunes. so if you think its that easy to play without a flip, come join the band and show what you got.

lol...this thread was funny enough before the actual band kids had to get offended.\

I declare a drumoff.  Meet at the 50 yardline and bring it.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

You see... now it's just getting retarded.  John knows UCF... check where he got his BA!  http://band.arts.usf.edu/staff/john_schrettler.htm

USF and UCF have the same policy: if you practice/have time to practice = no flip // if you dont practice/dont have time = flip

very simple... and the suggestion of no flips is clearly noted and already supported.

Now I am a "band nerd," but can we discuss something more interesting now?

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

It must be a home game thing cause in 2005, UCF's band looked much stronger than USF's and it was vice versa in 2006.

UCF's band has changed over the last couple of years since Ron Ellis took control.  I'm not a big fan of the new product.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

I wouldn't say the 110 is Big 10 style... I'd say we're more SWAC style. Most of the comments I heard from USM fans at the GMAC bowl were along the lines of "I've never seen white kids move like that." But the UCF routine done a few years ago wasn't the same routine as was ever done in Athens, it was the "road show" which is kind of a "greatest hits" routine they do at out-of-state away games.

UCF's band is certainly good but I am amused at anyone who thinks they "schooled" the 110. The 110 actually has been known to "school" opponents; see the GMAC when they adlibbed-back Beyonce right after the Pride of Mississippi gave it their shot.

Look, band smack is really lame, I just want my alma mater USF to project the best image to our opponents. Like it or not, the HOT is a public face of the quality of our university, and flip folders make us look like amateurs. Just like we expect the quality of our sports to improve upon joining the Big East, our peripherals should as well. I think the Sundolls have been fantastic at rising to the challenge; I hope the HOT can do the same.

I'd agree about Ohio's band being awesome except their break down dance routine was the same 2 years in a row and that turned me off.  If it was 2 different routines, they really looked awfully alike. :-/

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

You see... now it's just getting retarded.  John knows UCF... check where he got his BA!  http://band.arts.usf.edu/staff/john_schrettler.htm

Some of us already knew that...that's why I told him to call his friend RON at UCF.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Well, Ron was at our "band camp" this last fall.  In fact, he has been at many of them.

Again, the band is aware of the issue... why don't we talk about something more interesting... really?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7067007654749041274&hl=en

her is a link from the half time show at the bowl if anyone still thinks ecu's band was better than usf's. (if you still think that after watching them perform our pre game show for their half time, then you have no idea what a good band sounds like)