• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HOT and Flip Folders... by Bobcat99

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

You also have to realize that, unlike some schools, we play three distinct field shows each marching season.  UCF has rotating field shows, so by your Sophomore/Junior year,  most if not all the shows should be memorized very easily.

Just food for thought...

Very valid point.

BTW Bobcat... after your OSU comment, I know everything you say is BS.  I was in the band in '03... I did like the field show better without the flips... BUT like I said above... the band has other priorities right now.  Building the program and building tradition.  

Either e-mail the director or get over it.

Man you seem pretty defensive.  This is a USF message board, I think the guy should at least be able to raise the question about the USF band.  Didn't you start this thread anyway?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

You also have to realize that, unlike some schools, we play three distinct field shows each marching season.  UCF has rotating field shows, so by your Sophomore/Junior year,  most if not all the shows should be memorized very easily.

Just food for thought...

Very valid point.

BTW Bobcat... after your OSU comment, I know everything you say is BS.  I was in the band in '03... I did like the field show better without the flips... BUT like I said above... the band has other priorities right now.  Building the program and building tradition.  

Either e-mail the director or get over it.

Man you seem pretty defensive.  This is a USF message board, I think the guy should at least be able to raise the question about the USF band.  Didn't you start this thread anyway?

I have no problem with him raising questions, and no one should have an issue with my comments on them  ;)

I started this thead since he hijacked the band donation thead, and didnt notice (or ignored) the "only posts about donating to the band."

More or less, I was just posting what I knew about why the band uses flips.  Since I was in the band during the fall, I knew a little about iit... I agree with not using flip folders, but there are reasons why they are not using them for right now.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Wow, marching band flip folder smack.  Amazing...

Thats what i was thinking.  

Herman - 7th grade jazz band award winner and 7th grade all county trumpet player.  

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Wow, marching band flip folder smack.  Amazing...

Thats what i was thinking.  

Herman - 7th grade jazz band award winner and 7th grade all county trumpet player.  

Nice

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19

Wow.. "back in my day" flip folders were prohibited on the field.  Granted they were used in the stands, but I personally hate flip folders for the sheer fact that they're clumsy.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

flip folders on the field are a no go, flip folders in the stands is ok by me.  i was in marching band in high school and most of our band used flip folders, its just easier than having to memorize over 15 songs.  its a lot to memorize that many songs.  we had to memorize a few songs, the alma mater, the national anthem, the fight song, and we are family, as we played it before every game, other than that we didn't need to memorize songs.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

This thread is prime Mad Cow material ...  

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

Just food for thought...

File this one under "since you brought it up" :

UCF doesn't rotate it's shows.  There are some shows that are crowd favorites that do pop back up, usually ever 4 years.  If a student stays in the program for more than 4 years, then he or she will play it twice, but if they still have it memorized then good for them, they need to graduate anyways.

So yes, "unlike some schools" you played 3 distinct shows.  UCF played a different one EVERY home game (and there were 7 this past year).

Terrible example as there are several programs that I'm sure use the same one EVERY home game (which is both unfortunate for the kids in the program and the fans).

Your band director is a fomer UCFer....so ask him, unless maybe he spread the ideas you currently seem to have.

And I believe flip folders are "allowed" - but the social pressure is there not to be the only one doing it.

I bet the band needed to look at music for the fight song though, as sadly, it wasn't played very often this past season!  :-/  ;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

we have a coach who has won 6 conference games in 4 and a half years and we are debating flip folders? Wow

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

We schooled Ohio's band when they visited in 2002, but they really are a fun band to watch.  What annoyed me is that they did THE SAME routine in 2002 as they did in 2003 when we visited them.

ANY school that uses flip folder is an embarrassment.  When I was still a student over here, the band never used folders on the field, but this year, a couple did and it made me sad. :-[

Ummmm....sorry, no.  I was at that game and the Ohio Band (not OSU)...the Bobcats were the most entertaining and talented Band I've ever seen and have the cool Big 10 style.  UCF sounds pretty good...but you went WAY over the line to say you schooled them and you need to be called out.  I was there...I saw it....no contest.  It may have been the same routine but sorry...no contest to the observer who didn't care that they hadn't seen the show before.