• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why can't USF Basketball afford a quality coach?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

How much extra revenue is the Athletic Department bring in since joining the Big East. I understand that our traveling budget has grown due to having to go up north so often. I just don't see why the program dosen't have the extra funds to hire a coach. What am I missing?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

How much extra revenue is the Athletic Department bring in since joining the Big East. I understand that our traveling budget has grown due to having to go up north so often. I just don't see why the program dosen't have the extra funds to hire a coach. What am I missing?

What you are missing is that they've already budgeted out the extra revenue from the move to the Big East based on Mac's salary being in there.  Therefore, if a new coach is going to cost more money, there will need to be incremental revenue coming in.

What you are missing is that they've already budgeted out the extra revenue from the move to the Big East based on Mac's salary being in there.  Therefore, if a new coach is going to cost more money, there will need to be incremental revenue coming in.

This generally means extra donations, since the naming rights for the Sun Dome will go to the debt service for upgrading that facility.

I would, however, also say that if the team won more games, it would have more fans, and that money could go to the coaching staff.

JMHO

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Ok so if the extra revenue is there. Why can't some of it be re-allocated next year to a new coaching staff.

The AD is making millions more and a quality coach could be had for 700k a year.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

well if they won more games then people would like CRM...

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

We need MORE fans to show up at games and we need more DONORS. And dont tell me theyll show up when we win because we avg 5,000+ when we were winning 17-18 games under Greenberg and a high of 7,100 when we were going to NCAA. Thats still not good enough support

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

In my opinion a new coach needs to bring in at least 2,000 extra paying tickets per game.

2,000 * 30 per game * 15 games = $900,000 per year.

That will cover the increased cost of the new head coach and a higher pay for his assistants.

Can we get a great coach for $750,000 to $1,000,000 per year with a decent paid staff?  Not sure about great but definately a good one.

The biggest problem may be that the State will only approve a certain base salary level.  I don't think we have the booster power to make up the difference to get to a high guaranteed level.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The AD is making millions more and a quality coach could be had for 700k a year.

You have to factor in all the expenses that are involved. I would think that $700k might be pushing it on a head coach.

Ok so if the extra revenue is there. Why can't some of it be re-allocated next year to a new coaching staff.

Do you actually know anything about USF's Athletics finances?  Suggesting that they just "reallocate" funds "next year" is hilarious.  You're suggesting that a decent percentage of the budget just be moved. ::)

Another issue that hasn't been brought up in this discussion is buying out his contract...

The biggest problem may be that the State will only approve a certain base salary level.  I don't think we have the booster power to make up the difference to get to a high guaranteed level.

Bingo.