• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BCS eliminates three in quest for fifth bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

None of them will get a game... it will either be the current 4 plus 1 at same location.. or 4 games total.  the big 4  will not go for adding a 5th bowl game... TV doesnt really want it either.

guess you missed the whole potential lawsuit issues and congress sticking their nose into things. the bcs certainly does not want either of those two things so make a 5th bowl happen or watch your monopoly crumble. they will make it happen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

The Continental Tire Bowl had a flat.  ;D I'm sorry! Someone had to say it! :P

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

JMHO....

All this is just window dressing for the choice of the Gator Bowl.....

Jacksonville's newly rennovated stadium. They are used to the Big East tie-in and are on the other end of the state from the Orange Bowl. I just think that the Gator Bowl was the first choice and will be the choice unless Jerry Jones gets his "new" staium in Dallas, then the Cotton Bowl might be an option.

Pray that it is the Outback, but, don't set yourself up to be dissapointed.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

None of them will get a game... it will either be the current 4 plus 1 at same location.. or 4 games total.  the big 4  will not go for adding a 5th bowl game... TV doesnt really want it either.

There will be five bowl games.  It looks like it will be the 4 plus 1 senario.  Where the 4 current BCS bowls will hold the first 4 BCS bowl games and the one of them would hold the National Championship Game a week later.

Example

Say for example, Big East member, USF is #1 in the BCS poll and SEC member, Florida is #2

The BCS bowls might look something like this.

Rose - BCS PAC 10 v. BCS Big 10

Fiesta - BCS Mid-major v. BCS at Large

Sugar - BCS ACC v. BCS at Large

Orange - BCS Big 12 v. BCS at Large

Then a week later the National Championship Game

Orange - USF v. Florida

The reason they're leaning toward this is because the potenial fifth BCS bowl didn't want to have to take a Mid-major v. Big East game without being able to host the National Championship game every so often.

Guest S.  Bien

Actually, a perfect world for The Big East would be The Cotton Bowl.  If the Outback Bowl landed the BCS bid you can rest assured that the Gator might go after 1 or both of their tie-ins.  Tough to sneeze at #2-3 SEC and B10 team.

I silently root for The Cotton Bowl.  That one wouldn't hurt us, because their tie-ins probably wouldn't be as attractive to The Gator.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Actually, a perfect world for The Big East would be The Cotton Bowl.  If the Outback Bowl landed the BCS bid you can rest assured that the Gator might go after 1 or both of their tie-ins.  Tough to sneeze at #2-3 SEC and B10 team.

I silently root for The Cotton Bowl.  That one wouldn't hurt us, because their tie-ins probably wouldn't be as attractive to The Gator.

Yuk to the Cotton.  No one from the BE can drive to it.  I agree with the above for the Gator Bowl or Citrus.  It will help the BE in Florida recruiting of Jax or Mouse Town.  BE already has an edge in Tampa now.

Okay after re-reading your post, I must admit I may not quite get the jist of your post SB.  Ar e you saying put the B12s tie-in in Dallas and put a BE tie-in in Miami?

Help confusion abounds!  Its must be a Monday thang.

SCFan, why no BE tie-in in your play off scenario?

Orange: BE vs at large

Sugar: SEC vs at large

Rose: P10 vs B10

Fiesta: B12 vs at large

NCS Game

Cotton/Gator

Guest S.  Bien

Simple....the perfect world was for the BCS to select the Cotton Bowl, not the BE.

If the Citrus Bowl got the BCS then the Outback Bowl would move up the list to take their #2 selections in the B10, and SEC.  The Gator would then take the Outback's #3 selections in those conferences.

If The Outback Bowl got the BCS then the Gator Bowl would replace them for the #3 B10, and SEC schools.

Trust me, this is how it would happen.

NOW, if the Cotton Bowl landed the BCS game, well they get the B12 #2 or #3, versus at-large.  No one from the Gator, Outback, or Citrus would rush to replace the Cotton's tie-ins, and presumably, since the BE would maintain the Gator then I imagine the Liberty would assume the Cotton's tie-ins.

For cryin' out loud!  Again, why isn't there a playoff?!   >:( ::)  D1A Football is the only legitiimate college or pro sport without some sort of playoff system.  Three weekends and 21 days from the end of the first weekend in December and a champ could be crowned.  Sometimes tradition can hinder common sense/progress.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

SCFan, why no BE tie-in in your play off scenario?

Orange: BE vs at large

Sugar: SEC vs at large

Rose: P10 vs B10

Fiesta: B12 vs at large

NCS Game

Cotton/Gator

Because USF was in the National Championship Game, they were the Big East BCS team.  It's not a playoff, it's one senario the BCS is looking at to have the 5 bowl games at the four venues.