• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruit ratings are overrated

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080
  • Days Won:  0

I believe you will find that teams who  consistently  recruit higher rated players will more often than not be the teams with greatest depth.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

We had a better team this year, but not better players.  We certainly had the best QB, but not overall team depth on the 80 man roster.  

FSU and UM had coaching and injury problems this year.  We were relatively injury free.  FSU in particular was decimated by injury on the defensive side of the ball.  They had their top six DLs out for one game.  If they bring in quality coaches on offense next year, they will still be ahead of us.

UM I'm not so sure about.  I believe there are some infrastructure issues there.  Their stadium is lousy, facilities need work and they don't have the money for facilities or coaches.  There is enough talent in the area to make it work with good, young coaching staffs, but they will need to keep replacing them.  Meanwhile, FIU and FAU both expect to have new on campus stadiums.  I could see either pulling talent from Miami in the next few years.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,638
  • Days Won:  29

...  We were relatively injury free.  ...

Our O-Line was being moved around all year because of nagging injuries.

Starting RB out for year.

D-Line, interior was so banged up we had to use Harris' RS season in 2006.

May not have been as bad as FSU, but we don't brag about the depth as FSU does.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Selvie - rated 1 star OL......now a stud DE

Grothe - 2 star qb

C Robinson - 2 star DE/LB

Donte Spires was a 1 star LB in 2005...now a 3 star LB after 1 year...so with that progress he should be a beast here quick

Marcus Edwards - 2 star in 2004

Josh Julmiste was recruited as a 2 star reciever listed at 6-6 210...now a 6-6 270 DE

Ben Moffitt was a 2 star...still think he is??...to me it means nothing..I get excited about just about any player and his potential that signs here

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Grothe was 3 star on one network.

Listen Star rankings have their flaws. Outside the top 100-150 or so they are very watered down because there is just too many players.

If you want a good idea of how good a player is look at the regional ranking lists, where they finished in area honors, how well they played on a bad team (guys on bad teams don't get the top ranking love).

If you want to know who the best 100 players are projected to be look at the stars. If you want to how good of a class we have look at the players individually and the success they have.

I will say this guys like Selvie and Julmiste are penalized for not having a position too. Gotta give credit to the coaching staff, while they haven't gotten the BEST talent out there they do get the MOST of their talent.

I just know the day USF is pulling in the Big guys this board will be lighting up with how great these guys are on stars.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

...  We were relatively injury free.  ...

Our O-Line was being moved around all year because of nagging injuries.

Starting RB out for year.

D-Line, interior was so banged up we had to use Harris' RS season in 2006.

May not have been as bad as FSU, but we don't brag about the depth as FSU does.

O-Line moved around much more because of inexperience than injury.

Ok, Plancher was out, but he isn't a star player that we know of.

We only had a couple of D-Line injuries.  Harris was used more because of lack of depth

Exactly, we don't have the depth FSU does, because we haven't had the loaded recruiting classes they have.  That was the point of the entire thread.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  0

Great responses and I agree with Joe and some others. We want the "stars" but it's clear we can be very, very competitive without all the "stars".

I'd like to see the star rating when one is recruited and then what it is when they leave.

Josh Julmiste, Moffitt, Grothe, Selvie, etc.

I can't wait for next year!!

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yeah we may not get many 4 star or any 5 star kids but our staff does a GREAT job of recruiting kids that fit our system and are willing to work hard to improve and then developing them during their time here.