• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pirates still buzzing about bowl matchup

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

I do remember them doing their best to make Pat White beat them with his arm.

We were successful, too.  :-/

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21

Ok, it became obvious none of you ECU fans were going to answer my question, so I did a little research.  ECU was an independant NCAA 1-A team in 1932.  Until 1997 (C-USA), they were mostly Independant with some time spent in the North State Conference, Carolinas Conference, and Southern Conference.  They have 5 conference championships, 1 in North State and 4 in Southern (someone tell me if you have heard of these extinct conferences, maybe they are 2-A?).

Anyway, started football in 1932 and won a Bowl game in 1978.  Come back in 46 years to see if we have won a bowl game yet.  Or a few weeks, whatever.

Wow.  Not surprising you don't know anything about college football history since your school has none.  Do a little more research and you'll find we won a few "small college" bowls back in the 1960s (one was the Tangerine Bowl, precursor to the Citrus Bowl, which I belive we won twice) when we were one of the top "small college" teams in the nation running the single wing offense under a coach named Clarence Stasavich.  There was no 1-A and 1-AA back then.  You might not remember since there probably was no USF, either.  In the 1970's, after winning three straight Southern Conference championships, we decided to toss our hats in with the big boys (it was called the College Football Association back then) and go independent.  We went to the Independence Bowl in 1978, winning our first bowl as a "major" school.  That was back before half the schools in Div. 1A went to bowls.

no matter how you spin it...you guys are still facing a 10th year program..if you are really taht good and have lal these years of experience shouldnt you be somewhere better by now??

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Yes, you were.

You lost.

Good job! Great game plan!

What's the plan to lose this one?

I suppose the strategy will be to stop our qb and make us beat you with the running game.  OK.

GO BULLS!

no matter how you spin it...you guys are still facing a 10th year program..if you are really taht good and have lal these years of experience shouldnt you be somewhere better by now??

yes

Yes, you were.

You lost.

Good job! Great game plan!

Wow, thanks, Capt. Obvious.  Didn't you see the smilie on my post?  Yes, we won the battle and lost the war.  My guess is we will shut down your running game, including Grothe, and try to make you beat us passing.  We'll probably give up some yards between the 20s.  Hopefully, we'll stiffen in the red zone, maybe pick off a few passes, and at least force you guys to kick FGs.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

we don't have a consistent field goal kicker.  inside the 35 we will go all four downs.  Cinci and ourselfs are the only ones to stop us.  this will probably be the best defense ECU has faced all year.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Hey, I love the plan!

If at first you don't succeed, try again next year!

GO BULLS!

... this will probably be the best defense ECU has faced all year.

Statistically, Virginia outranks you.  We scored 31 on them.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Virginia was terrible this year.  Statistically speaking they might be higher ranked, but you don't play the games on paper.  

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

And I'd be surprised if you score more than 17-20 on the USF defense.  The question becomes, can we score more than 21 on your defense?  I think the answer to that is Yes We Can.