• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Things to do/eat in BHM

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted on a different UAB forum about ideas for Birmingham...

Here was the first response...

Things to Do:

-Birmingham Civil Rights Institute

-Birmingham Museum of Arts (one of the largest municipal art museums in the South)

-Birmingham Zoo (one of the largest in the Southeast and Alabama's top tourist attraction)

-BarberSports Motor Park & Museum (a museum with a collection of vintage bikes unlike any other as well as a track designed after some of the Formula One race courses)

-Alabama Sports Hall of Fame

-Vulcan Statue and Park (world's largest cast-iron statue and 2nd largest statue in the USA)

-Alabama Adventure Themepark (currently a bigger waterpark, but there are several thrill-rides; one of which is The Rampage, rated one of the top wooden roller coasters in the USA by rollercoaster enthusiasts).

-Riverchase Galleria (one of the largest malls in the USA covered by the largest skylight in the Western Hemisphere)

-Other popular shopping venues around Birmingham: The Summit, The Pinnacle, Vestavia City Center, Colonial Brookwood Village, Wildwood Center, Watermark Outlet Mall, etc.

-etc. etc.

Places to Eat:

-Jim N' Nicks BBQ

-Full Moon BBQ

-Dreamland BBQ

-Highlands Bar & Grille (rated among the Top 5 restaurants in the USA)

-Ocean

-Hot and Hot Fish Club

-Little Savannah

-Bottega

-etc. etc.

Places to Stay:

-DoubleTree Birmingham (large hotel near the UAB campus and Birmingham's main nightlife destination- 5pts South)

-Courtyard by Marriot UAB

-The Pickwick Hotel (smaller hotel near 5pts South)

-The Wynfrey Hotel (large hotel attached to the Riverchase Galleria)

**If you're looking for cheaper hotels and not too interested in nearby nightlife or being within walking distance of alot of the action, I suggest looking in the following nearby cities: Homewood, Fultondale, and Gardendale. Each of these are suburbs of Birmingham (about 5-10 miles from Legion Field) with a number of your standard hotels.**

Any other specific questions, just let me know.

Other posts included:

Most of them are in Five Points, yeah... the Lakeview District is also another popular nightlife place that I hear a good many folks talking about. The Garage is a bar you may want to check out. Ratings don't always mean everything, but GQ Magazine rated it one of the Top 10 Bars in the World Worth Flying To. I don't have too many specific suggestions outside of that because I'm not personally too big on the bar scene, but there are definitely plenty of bars in Five Points as well as the Lakeview District.

Alabama Adventure is closed for the season.

The Birmingham Zoo should have the Zoolight Safari going though by the time of your visit. The zoo is lit up with Christmas lights. It can be quite cold though around the 23rd.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Hopefully the only thing you're eating in B'Ham is food...  ;D

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

I was in B'ham on business a few months ago and stayed in the Doubletree mentioned above. I'd recommend it as far as closeness to 5 points, etc. It's not close to the stadium, but if you're there with a car or something, it's no big deal. Also, I don't know if hours will be limited since it's the holiday season, but B'ham has a trolley system you can ride around town for a quarter a trip, and that or a cab ride of $10 or so will get you from the Sheraton at the Convention Center to Five Points (a brisk walk or the same trolley or a cheaper cab ride'll get you there from the Doubletree)

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

One word

Dreamland.

Was not impressed with Dreamland on my last trip to B'ham.  Had much better barbeque in Chapel Hill and in Dallas the day before Thanksgiving.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  73

My personal favorite BBQ is Jim N' Nicks... if you want to try it, there's a location in 5 Points as well.  My favorite local BBQ bar none.  Full Moon is another place that has good BBQ.  Not a terribly huge fan of Dreamland myself, but it's alright.

Another thing... if some of you are staying in town on Saturday night and need something to do, you can check out a UAB basketball game.  Many I know are leaving immediately to get back in time for Christmas Eve, but if you're waiting til the morning and like basketball, you might want to check it out.  It's UAB vs. Winston Salem State, so if our players are doing their job, it should be a dunk-fest.  In any event, general admission tickets are only $10 bucks so it's not likely to break the bank.

It's a shame the bowl game had to fall when it did.  It would have been fun to have some of you guys stay a few more days and go to the UAB-South Florida basketball game on Dec. 27th.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

General Turg.  We'll be there! probably around 6:30 or so.

Unless of course UABinBHM can convince me the others are better.

Is it the sauce or the ribs?

GO BULLS!

General Turg.  We'll be there! probably around 6:30 or so.

Unless of course UABinBHM can convince me the others are better.

Is it the sauce or the ribs?

GO BULLS!

It's all of it.  The sauce, the meat, the beans (which have little bits of BBQ mixed in with it), the cheese biscuits (oh my goodness are those good), and the homemade fries.  

Here's their website:

http://www.birminghammenus.com/jimnnicks/newsite/newsite.html