• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib already at it...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

mt biggest problem with the whole mention of CJL as a candidate to all these other schools is that it is a slap in the face to the institution itself. It appears that anything USF is substandard and that any of the big boys can take their pick of whoever they want to coach their team-- as if we are some little league squad and bush league college.

You find that happening a hell of lot less often to the traditional power schools -- no no-- no one can sway someone from their mighty grasp. They will use that coach until they need a goat to blame and redirect the efforts of a program. EVer notice that the list of coaches always come from the same set of schools? UL, TCU etc-- we are considered less than attractive coaching jobs-- and not even based solely on money but pretty by reputation. Who in their right mind would pass up the opportunity to coach at Bama or Notre Dame or USC or Miami? Obviously they don't know what they are doing--- if you want to believe the moronic ramblings of theTV puppets and ESPN and the whole rest of the tribe.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I have seen Richt of UGA mentioned almost every year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Stoops of Oklohoma was mentioned for UF & Ohio St also.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

Wow a lot of you have an interesting take on the national exposure. It seems to me it tells everyone around the nation that we have top notch coaching so if we get to the top 25 next year the nation will have more respect for us. USF fans know he’s not leaving and I’m sure our coaches that talk to the recruits every week say the same thing. I believe those jobs (Bama and UM) aren’t that attractive for the reasons ESPN states.

As for USF coverage, JimUSFSIG is perfect in his assessment.

To notch coaching. Top notch facilities. One of the best young QBs in the nation. National exposure in the New Big East. A realistic opportunity to break out any given year as the program is on the rise. Looks like a very attractive place for a recruit to go.

Maybe I need to take off my green and gold shades but it’s hard because the future is so bright! ;D (Corny joke… I know)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  22

Leavitt has insisted umpteen times he's staying, so as a recruit, you're taking a coach at his word--you take that word for everything on the recruiting trail. But, the facilities and THE top Fresh QB in the nation are good sticking points. Also, Jimmy has created a family as his coaching staff. Plus, Bama will fry you in one season if you don't beat Burn, and why go to UM if you have to babysit a bunch of thugs taking away from coaching focus.

The only question is, does Jim think the old cliche of "I've taken the program so far, I can do more at an already overly established university" holds water. He'll have to really have faith in his ability to take it to an ornery University that wants a national championship next year not next decade.

But, he did just cry when his Bulls pulled off the win, so let's hope he does it again when he thinks of leaving.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

We will be the school that every up and coming coach wants to be at when JL leaves.  He has a dream to win a NC and his dream is here at USF.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

mt biggest problem with the whole mention of CJL as a candidate to all these other schools is that it is a slap in the face to the institution itself. It appears that anything USF is substandard and that any of the big boys can take their pick of whoever they want to coach their team-- as if we are some little league squad and bush league college.

You find that happening a hell of lot less often to the traditional power schools -- no no-- no one can sway someone from their mighty grasp. They will use that coach until they need a goat to blame and redirect the efforts of a program. EVer notice that the list of coaches always come from the same set of schools? UL, TCU etc-- we are considered less than attractive coaching jobs-- and not even based solely on money but pretty by reputation. Who in their right mind would pass up the opportunity to coach at Bama or Notre Dame or USC or Miami? Obviously they don't know what they are doing--- if you want to believe the moronic ramblings of theTV puppets and ESPN and the whole rest of the tribe.

I disagree Mike, while the top 10-15 jobs (ND, USC, UF, Michigan, Texas, etc) will always get the ear of top coaches, it all comes down to why those schools are the top programs. Money. Those schools spend so much on their football programs it put many to shame. Urban Meyer asks for an indoor practice facility Florida gives it to him (at 4 Million Dollars), Texas needs a new academic area for their football players (yes sir Mr. Brown, here's 4 Million for a refurbished academic center). Where at WVU Rich Rodriguez has been asking fornew practice and workout facilities for over 2 years, with not much of a response.

Look at the last big time jobs that opened. ND and UF...names like Bob Stoops, Jeff Tedford, Mike Shanahan, and John Gruden were all interviewed for one of those jobs.

Finally, for those 10-15 jobs, coaches leave great situations and good programs a lot:

- Mac Brown - left a top 5 team at UNC to take a job with a Texas school coming of a 4-7 season, why? Because they spend like hell on their program if asked.

- Nick Saban - left a top 10 Michigan State team to take a job with a 3-8 LSU team. See Mac Brown.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

My take is very simple......JL would not consider moving until he "at least" has USF winning a BE title!  He's worked so hard to get the program where it is now.   AND, if you BULLIEVE the interview after the WVA game, he has no intention of going anywhere.  I am one of those who will accept him at his word!!!!

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I don't think JL will go either, unless it's the deal of a linetime.

He refused to comment about Miami in a phone interview last night.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Ya know, like many of you, I have been here during the whole time USF has had a football team.  I remember all the lead up to finally getting the team - from internal discussions to the Board of Regents vote.  I remember the list of candidates for the head coaching job.  I remember the first scrimmage at the soccer stadium.  I remember Western Kentucky, Valpo, Slippery Rock.  I remember San Diego State, Pittsburgh, the 21-game home winning streak.  I remember Tennessee Tech, Army, and Louisville.  I remember I-AA, C-USA, and the Big East invitation.

In all of that time, I have never seen a USF beat reporter for either the St. Petersburg Times or the Tampa Tribune with some kind of "secret agenda."

So why on God's green earth does anyone see a conspiracy here?

Fact: The University of Miami has an opening.

Fact: Jim Leavitt has done an AMAZING JOB building a program from the ground up.

Fact: When you have the success Leavitt has had, it may not get the recognition of a lot of fans across the country -- but you can bet their schools' athletic programs recognize it.

Fact: Most college coaches want to get to the top of their professions.  Moving "up" is considered normal in this job.

So why is it a big surprise that people are talking to Leavitt?  Why is it a big surprise that his name comes up in discussions about openings?  Then -- why is it a surprise when a reporter and his editor decide that it is newsworthy to report about it?

It's not like Brett was the first media member to mention Leavitt for the vacancies.  I heard Craig James on CBS when they showed the highlights of our WVU game.  (The same Craig James, by the way, who voted USF #24 on his AP Poll).

It is a sign of respect for the coach and the program when the media mention a coach for openings at other schools -- especially when those schools are perceived as more prestigious than their current schools.  It's not like people are talking about Leavitt for an opening at East Podunk State.

Then you haven't been looking hard enough because they're not hiding.   Ask anyone at USF, they won't mix words when referring to the Tribune in particular.

The article and contents were not all together bad, but timing was off as usual for the Tribune and Brett McMurphy.   Remember this is PURE speculation at this point that Leavitt would even be a candidate, and definitely interested, hell Brett's article doesn't even state he is, but the article is out there now, and every wire in America will pick it up, and suddenly whether Leavitt is a candidate or not other media outlets will put his name in the hat.

It's just irresponsible is all it is, and since all Brett is doing is speculating (what's new) then the timing is inappropriate- two days after one of the school's biggest wins.  Not one of his bigger digs, or poor moves but we already know he thinks highly of himself so I doubt seriously Brett wasn't aware of the ramifications or impact a speculation piece on Leavitt could be.  It catapults his name into the public eye.

Take it as you wish, and be naive if you must, but this isn't good for recruiting despite how many times Leavitt has been at it before, and frankly it puts Leavitt's name in the limelight as this article will be in all the Media General archives.   Who knows the motivation behind it, but given the person, and situation I do believe the timing was more intentional then accidental.

SB...are you saying ZERO sports writers can ever write about "possible" opens...and/or who is or could be a strong candidate?

You obviously don't understand how sports media works.

Without speculation, sports talk radio, newspapers, ESPN talking-head shows would be out-of-business.

Here's a tip...just read David Whitley's column today..its all just a "game":

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-whitley2806nov28,0,1129394.column?coll=orl-sports-col

"Stoops offered Florida Job"

PS. Coaches...with help from their agents/lawyers...ALSO play this game...as it helps them earn more $$$$$ from their current employer.