• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib already at it...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

Well...our good buddy at the Tribune (I'll let you guys figure out who it is) has already put a story in today's sports section talking about CJL as a candidate for the UM job.  Man this guy really wants to see him go.

St. Pete Times...not a word.  Just another good follow up story on the win in Morgantown.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I have no problem with it ... Brett's just reporting the news here.

I LOVE the mention of this ... gives us more press of how good this program is ... helps Leavitt in recruiting !

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

rumors that the coach may not be here next season can also make a kid hesistant to commit to a program ET

so I'm a little wary of thinking this is a positive.

I think the years of Leavitt visiting schools and the constant offers Leavitt gets, people realize that he IS not leaving ... and it's a sign of great things in this program.

I trust that Leavitt will put anyone's mind at ease.

If he didn't leave when we were not BCS and did not have a great facility, why would he leave now that the school can not top what he has here ... and that is LOVE for this program.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

maybe recruits considering miami will consider usf now

Ya know, like many of you, I have been here during the whole time USF has had a football team.  I remember all the lead up to finally getting the team - from internal discussions to the Board of Regents vote.  I remember the list of candidates for the head coaching job.  I remember the first scrimmage at the soccer stadium.  I remember Western Kentucky, Valpo, Slippery Rock.  I remember San Diego State, Pittsburgh, the 21-game home winning streak.  I remember Tennessee Tech, Army, and Louisville.  I remember I-AA, C-USA, and the Big East invitation.

In all of that time, I have never seen a USF beat reporter for either the St. Petersburg Times or the Tampa Tribune with some kind of "secret agenda."

So why on God's green earth does anyone see a conspiracy here?

Fact: The University of Miami has an opening.

Fact: Jim Leavitt has done an AMAZING JOB building a program from the ground up.

Fact: When you have the success Leavitt has had, it may not get the recognition of a lot of fans across the country -- but you can bet their schools' athletic programs recognize it.

Fact: Most college coaches want to get to the top of their professions.  Moving "up" is considered normal in this job.

So why is it a big surprise that people are talking to Leavitt?  Why is it a big surprise that his name comes up in discussions about openings?  Then -- why is it a surprise when a reporter and his editor decide that it is newsworthy to report about it?

It's not like Brett was the first media member to mention Leavitt for the vacancies.  I heard Craig James on CBS when they showed the highlights of our WVU game.  (The same Craig James, by the way, who voted USF #24 on his AP Poll).

It is a sign of respect for the coach and the program when the media mention a coach for openings at other schools -- especially when those schools are perceived as more prestigious than their current schools.  It's not like people are talking about Leavitt for an opening at East Podunk State.

...  I remember ...  I remember ...  I remember ...  I remember ...  I remember ...  I remember ...  I remember ...

I knew you didn't drink enough during the tailgates  ;)

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

Wait until Levitt wins the Big East - then they will all come a knockin'.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

rumors that the coach may not be here next season can also make a kid hesistant to commit to a program ET

so I'm a little wary of thinking this is a positive.

Um, signing day isn't until February.  Miami will have their coach within a couple of weeks.  I don't really see how this is going to scare anyone off.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

McMurphy is a big piece of Bull poo!

He's still miffed that the St. Pete Times is our sponsor.

The Trib needs to pony up and fire his ass... he's still trying to stir up the pot with made-up garbage.  Way to go Brett.