• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Overachieved This Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

Unlike last year, the 2006 version of USF overachieved to come up with a 8-4 record with a win against WVU on the road.  The Coaching Staff deserves a hand for winning 8-games with a young team, injuries, and suspensions.  Personally, I think the HC always get too much credit and blame.  The Assistants are what make a program go.  Burnham, Frey, Franks, Reichal, Clark, and Dawsey deserve the credit.  Great job in 06.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  400

we didn't overachieve.. we discovered the grothe factor... and to think, so many of the people on this message board wanted to ride julmiste the rest of the season

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

we didn't overachieve.. we discovered the grothe factor... and to think, so many of the people on this message board wanted to ride julmiste the rest of the season

I guess it would be pretty easy to sort through all 30 of your posts and get a real understanding of what you have to say, when you bother to say it.

The handful of people who said we need to keep PJ in the mix (NOT STARTING PER SE) were correct as PJ has done a great job in relief of Grothe his season. We did not say one way or another whether he was the best QB. In fact no one was really sure how things would shake out since the end of last season (Carlton Hill, anyone?). Game time an practice time are two very different animals. I personally was pulling for Matt and PJ to have a tough QB battle in camp so they would push each other.

The point with those of us who wanted this is simple. You do NOT throw away a kid with 23 starts and many quality wins just because he is too inconsistent. He's your next best alternative and has been a loyal team player throughout---- that should count for something. THAT is important. If you start crapping all over players simply because they get hurt or they aren't the best option anymore, the rest of the team sees that treatmnt-- they know that they are only worth what they can do for you now. That is NOT the sense of family you shoot for-- a place where you know everyone is working together and the uiltmate goal is winning, not personal achievement.

No-- no one was trying to "ride" PJ the rest of the season. We said we need him all year long and converting him into a TE was flat out stupid as he is clearly the #2 QB. Nothing wrong with having that opinion. I can say I didn't "commit" to Julmiste as a starter but felt it was fine to have him start game 1. Those games are for evaluation purposes. CJL had planned to get a look at both guys. The guy who went out first was a matter of seniority. The contrast in results after that point was so clear that PJ never started again. We should applaud him for not acting like a spoiled child once he was replaced.

SO I'll ask you to let this whole "we knew that Matt was the guy the whole time" thing a REST. No one cares who knew what when. What we know now is sufficient-- Matt Grothe is the real deal. PJ-- we appreciate all your efforts, patience, leadership, and assistance getting Matt ready.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Why bother Mike?

That comment by PitBull joins the thread yesterday that said we all wanted to figure out "how to get rid of Jim Leavitt" in the "I love this coach" thread.  Some people look for an opening or a stupid comment made by someone here to indict the whole board when, in fact, most of these comments being churned up since the WVU win were spawned by the Dark Side.   I can't recall one person saying we should ride PJ to the end, but yet the "realists", "Dark Siders" and some other posters think that is what CJL and every supportive USF fan wanted.   They're also the one(s) that would like to ride CJL out of town.

Just plain stupid.

modified to correct typo

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

To be honest, that was one of the best performances that I have ever watched from the USF's defense. I know we played great defense last year on the road against Rutgers, but it was just amazing to see the USF defense shut down both Slaton and White. It is Wally's world!!! Wally Burhnam was awesome yesterday. I have to admit that I was concerned about losing Coach Kravitz to NC ST, but now I feel confident in Coach Burhnam after watching that performance. It proves to everyone that Wally has never lost his step in coaching the defense.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I wouldn't say we overachieved.  When we were discussing the schedule at the beginning of the year there was a great deal of discussion of how the schedule set up favorably for a young ad developing team.  I think yesterday's victory was more of a coming of age for the team and they are making a statement of what to expect next year and in  years to come.    Unlike the beginning of this year when most of the positions (especially on offense) had players playing their very first college games, next year we will have almost every position on the field covered by veteran starters and at worst by players that have had significant playing time.  There also will not be a need to learn to play together.  They learned that this year so there will be a lot of continuity.  That's important.  the final record is where I expected it at the start of the year, but the Ws and Ls didn't come from where they were expected.  No way do I see this as a team that over achieved at all.

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,297

To be honest, that was one of the best performances that I have ever watched from the USF's defense. I know we played great defense last year on the road against Rutgers, but it was just amazing to see the USF defense shut down both Slaton and White. It is Wally's world!!! Wally Burhnam was awesome yesterday. I have to admit that I was concerned about losing Coach Kravitz to NC ST, but now I feel confident in Coach Burhnam after watching that performance. It proves to everyone that Wally has never lost his step in coaching the defense.

Burhnam is the man.  His experience at FSU, and his ability to produce Sunday Players is greatly appreciated at USF.  Watch for people to start comparing our D to the old Miami defense.  Speed Kills!!