• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I have not seen it so I got to post something...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545
  • Days Won:  0

It is great to see how much coach Rod Smith has improved since last year.  In the offseason I thought that Rod was not going to turn out to be a good OC but he has proved me wrong.  The plays that he has called this year has been great most games.  He has mixed in the right amount of trick plays with basic plays.  I am glad that USF did not make a bad decision a let him go at the end of the year.  A good OC is hard to find but it is clear that Rod Smith is on his way to becoming a good one.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

I have to agree so far.  The OC is the first to be blamed.

He isn't going anywhere now...

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

It's easy to look like a genuis with a player as special as Grothe behind center.  And it's just as easy to look inept with Julmiste or Banks behind center.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  152

Having Matt Grothe over Pat Julmiste gives Rod alot more weapons.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545

no doubt having the right QB to run the spread is important but he has done a good job this year.

and yes the OC gets blamed first see FSU

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

Last week we had a thread about whether Jeff Bowden would be a better OC for us.  I think people overreact every week.  Last week we were dominated on both lines but he still called some stupid plays.  Today, the quick throws for WR screens were limited.  I'm glad B-Will came through with that last first down but I still don't see why he's starting.  

He did a good job, but we are still calling a QB sneak every time we are within the 10 yard line from scoring.  This time, WVU apparently didn't watch the film that showed that like Louisville did.  Oh well, I'm glad for the victory and decent play calling today.  Along with last year's UL game, this is one of the best wins in USF's history.  But Rod Smith needs to continue to adapt new strategies in case teams watch film (such as for bowl game), because we call the same plays in many predictable situations.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

Last week we had a thread about whether Jeff Bowden would be a better OC for us.  I think people overreact every week.  Last week we were dominated on both lines but he still called some stupid plays.  Today, the quick throws for WR screens were limited.  I'm glad B-Will came through with that last first down but I still don't see why he's starting.  

He did a good job, but we are still calling a QB sneak every time we are within the 10 yard line from scoring.  This time, WVU apparently didn't watch the film that showed that like Louisville did.  Oh well, I'm glad for the victory and decent play calling today.  Along with last year's UL game, this is one of the best wins in USF's history.  But Rod Smith needs to continue to adapt new strategies in case teams watch film (such as for bowl game), because we call the same plays in many predictable situations.

just my .02, but I think that Williams is starting because, right now, he's a less timid runner than Ponton is.  don't get me wrong, Ponton is the better all around back, but he's tiptoeing his way to the line right now, where Williams hits the holes a little stronger.  many times today, Ponton seemed indecisive when he was running the ball.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

just my .02, but I think that Williams is starting because, right now, he's a less timid runner than Ponton is.  don't get me wrong, Ponton is the better all around back, but he's tiptoeing his way to the line right now, where Williams hits the holes a little stronger.  many times today, Ponton seemed indecisive when he was running the ball.

you could be right about the reasoning, but...

CAR      YDS      AVG      TD      LG

Matt Grothe                 23      47      2.0      1      14

Ricky Ponton                 7      24      3.4      0      11

Benjamin Williams      7      20      2.9      0      5

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Rod Smith is a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. You never know what type of offensive cordinator is going to show up from week to week. This week against WV it was the good. Last week against UL was the bad. This has to change.