• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chances against WVU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

This is why I like our chances against West Virginia.

Our offense vs. their D: At the beginning of the season, I thought WVU's front line was something to be messed with. After watching both the Louisville and Pitt games I've noticed that the front 8 (they run a 3-5-5) can easily be ran on. I've never liked the idea of a 3 man rush. Their secondary was also very week against those 2 teams. Had it not been that Pitt's defense is so poor, they could've won that game.

Our D vs. their Offense: This team cannot pass when their is any inkling of pressure on Pat White. This guy has no patience, and is quick to rely on his feet. The key to their success is the scheme they run, and that their O-line is pretty **** good. Since we are used to seeing a running QB in practice, I really like our chances to not let him run 200+ yards. We need to be able to keep men up (unlike against UL), and force him to throw. The key is not giving up the big play. As for Slaton, I think he has talent, but has not developed it yet. The only yhtings I see working for him is that the scheme fits the type of runner he is and that he is EXTREMELY FAST (but guess what, so is our defense). Other than that, he has terrible vision and he can't break tackles for the life of him.

Coaches call a great game, we minimize turnovers, and special teams executes i really like our chances.

USF 30, WVU 27

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Slaton not developed? We must be watching a different guy. I think it's between him and McFaddon for the best  RB in the country, no one else is even in the conversation (Too many injuries from Peterson) Ya, he doesn't break tackles, but he's not that type of a back.

One thing this team has struggled against on defense is the run, many teams have been our undoing with it.

We'll have to play a great game to win Saturday.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1

Wow! Slaton has no vision?  You need to have your's checked if you believe that.

Did you watch the WVU vs Pitt game?  Pat White was very accurate.  Throwing for over 200 as well as running for 200.  The kid keeps getting better and is a much better passer than anybody wants to believe.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Slaton not developed? We must be watching a different guy. I think it's between him and McFaddon for the best  RB in the country, no one else is even in the conversation (Too many injuries from Peterson) Ya, he doesn't break tackles, but he's not that type of a back.

One thing this team has struggled against on defense is the run, many teams have been our undoing with it.

We'll have to play a great game to win Saturday.

I agree Joe...one writer likened his style to a faster Tony Dorsett, seems very appropriate.  He went on to say that WVU is so prolific on offense because essentially they have reincarnations of Tony Dorsett, Mike Vick, and a Jud Davies style Fullback in Owen Schmidt.  That seems very appropriate, WVU right now has three all-americans in the backfield- no other team can brag such a thing.  

With that being said this year WVU's defense, unlike Louisville's, has proven to be nothing more than a speed bump all year.  Their defense has just been lucky that the WVU offense is so prolific it keeps them out of trouble.  If USF has any shot it will take like what UL did, get a few turnovers, and get ahead.  Force WVU to think about things, and make them throw.

Even then it's not easy.  Pat's a good passer, but once he moves his feet he's usually gone.  Make him shuffle the feet and roll out of the pocket then you take off and try to collapse.  Easier said then done considering Pat gashed us for two long TD runs last year doing the same thing.

• Content Count:  22

Our offense vs. their D: At the beginning of the season, I thought WVU's front line was something to be messed with. After watching both the Louisville and Pitt games I've noticed that the front 8 (they run a 3-5-5) can easily be ran on. I've never liked the idea of a 3 man rush. Their secondary was also very week against those 2 teams. Had it not been that Pitt's defense is so poor, they could've won that game.

Our D vs. their Offense: This team cannot pass when their is any inkling of pressure on Pat White. This guy has no patience, and is quick to rely on his feet. The key to their success is the scheme they run, and that their O-line is pretty **** good. Since we are used to seeing a running QB in practice, I really like our chances to not let him run 200+ yards. We need to be able to keep men up (unlike against UL), and force him to throw. The key is not giving up the big play. As for Slaton, I think he has talent, but has not developed it yet. The only yhtings I see working for him is that the scheme fits the type of runner he is and that he is EXTREMELY FAST (but guess what, so is our defense). Other than that, he has terrible vision and he can't break tackles for the life of him.

Coaches call a great game, we minimize turnovers, and special teams executes i really like our chances.

USF 30, WVU 27

I'm not even going to comment on the analysis you gave about our offense. But on defense, we are very good at stopping the run. Pitt had -1 yards rushing last week. Right now WVU's rush defense is ranked #7 in the country, giving up 79.5 yards per game. Our pass defense has had some huge breakdowns, especially in the Louisville game & then during certain portions of other games throughout the year. That is the area you want to attack. But overall, we haven't played that poorly on defense this year. We are ranked 36th in total defense this year giving up 307.50 yards per game. Not great, but not horrible either. In fact, USF's defense is only ranked 9 spots ahead of us giving up 295.73 yards per game. We're only giving up 18.4 points per game, while averaging 40.7 points per game on offense.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

no vision? hasn't developed his talent yet? doesn't break tackles?

are you kidding? The kid is leading the NCAA in rushing. He averages nearly 8 yards per carry. The only one close to that  is his own QB! He doesn't have to break tackles when he is 5 yards ahead of anyone chasing him.

Our achilles is stopping the run. It will take a near perfect game to keep this game close.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

West Virginia

Rushing Offense #2 at 330 yds per game

Passing Offense #104 151 yds per game

Rushing Defense #7  80 yds per game

Passing Defense #94 228 yds per game.

So we need to stop their running game and have our OLine give Grothe time to pass. Easier aid than done but thats the key

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I'll bet you guys can guess why they are ranked so low in passing offense........

When you can run like that, who needs to throw the ball.  Oddly enough, however, Pat White is a decent passer.  So, if anyone ever COULD actually stifle their running game (that's a BIG "if"), all would not be lost for the Mountaineers.

Nobody has been able to stop their running game, and I don't expect us to be the first.

• Content Count:  22

I'll bet you guys can guess why they are ranked so low in passing offense........

When you can run like that, who needs to throw the ball.  Oddly enough, however, Pat White is a decent passer.  So, if anyone ever COULD actually stifle their running game (that's a BIG "if"), all would not be lost for the Mountaineers.

Nobody has been able to stop their running game, and I don't expect us to be the first.

Everyone assumes Pat White can't pass the ball, but that's just not the case. He was 11-16 for 204 yards 2 TD's & 0 INT's against Pitt. He's no Joe Montana or Peyton Manning, but he has a pretty nice arm. The reason they are ranked so low in the passing statistics is because they do not have to pass the ball. When you are running for 300+ yards per game, why would you put the ball in the air?

• Content Count:  2

USF 30, WVU 27

This is about the most cracked out review I've ever seen about WVU.

I know WVU is penalized quite a bit, but we would be 0-10 right now if we played a 3-5-5 considering we'd get a penalty every defensive play for having 13 men on the field.

We play a 3-3-5, and if you think that means we rush 3 every down and have no run defense, you'll be in for a rude awakening on Saturday.  Not that our defense is dominate or anything, but our run defense is solid and we typically blitz at least 1 or 2 players from different positions every down.  Our pass defense has been horrible for the most part this year so that could be exploited if USF can throw the ball with any accuracy and WVU does not get pressure on USF's QB.

Offensively, you have WVU so screwed up I don't know where to begin.

Slaton is the real deal.  He is proven, he is faster than any defender you will have on the field, he can break tackles, and he has outstanding vision.  One of the keys to success in running the ball in our offense is the vision of our RBs.  Since we run a zone blocking scheme there is no set hole for the RB to go through.  He reads the blocking of our line and where the defense is, and makes a cut accordingly.  Slaton would not be nearly as successful in WVUs offense if he didn't have great vision.

And if you think you can simply stack up the box and force Pat White to throw the ball, he can kill you that way as well.  He threw for over 200 yards against Pitt in the first half alone.  Also, if you stack the box and either White or Slaton get loose, they are going to take it to the house.  You can't just stack the box, you have to be very disciplined and make open field tackles as well.

WVU is not unbeatable and I think USF could perhaps pull an upset.  But the reasoning of the initial post is just off the wall wrong.