• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why do we play differently on the Road?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

We've lost convincingly to a Top Ten team and a team which just knocked off a Top 10 team. We barely lost against a mid-level Big 12 team. We beat an ACC team and a rival team.

I think these are not too unexpected results based on the competition we've played. Yes, I wish we'd played better in our road losses, but with a young team, not that unexpected.

I agree.  The Big East just is not as easy... last years UCONN game was messed up.  We don't play well in BAD CONDITIONS.  What would happen if it wasn't cold?  or if it didn't rain in Miami or Kansas?

Think about it... it's always nice in Tampa...

They need to condition their minds for/in conditions!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

One thing I have heard is the players have a hard time getting used to the field turf.  That seems to bother them more than the cold.  personally, I thought that type of field would be advantageous to our speed, but apparently not.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

One thing I have heard is the players have a hard time getting used to the field turf.  That seems to bother them more than the cold.  personally, I thought that type of field would be advantageous to our speed, but apparently not.

If that is the case why don't we hold additional practices at the Trop?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

USF is a young team.  Many of these players have never visited Louisville.

i dont think that's a good excuse.  pat white and steve slaton are only sophomores, they won the big east and the sugar bowl last year.  mike teel and ray rice are sophomores too, they seem to be doing alright, despite about to lose tonight.

this lack of preparation has been a trademark with our program for a while.  i dont think we can every consider ourselves to be true players in the college football landscape unless we get that big win on the road, and i dont think we've had that yet.  sure, that win vs. pitt w/blackwell was a statement game, but we gotta get wins like that every year, and we havent been able to.  it's got me a little worried.

Mike Teel is a Junior.  Rutgers starts four Seniors on the OL, and 13 Seniors overall.  They start zero Freshmen, and only start five Sophmores.  Only three Freshmen on the Two-Deep.

West Virginia is younger, but still starts nine Seniors and only two Freshmen.

Your South Florida Bulls start only five Seniors, only two on offense none on the OLine or DLine.  Only two more Seniors in the entire two deep.  A whole bunch of Sophmores and several Freshmen in the two deep.  

The Bulls are much younger than the teams you are comparing them against.  By the way, I thought Grothe played very well.  His OLine didn't give him enough time, and there were a many big drops by the WRs, especially early in the game when the Bulls had the opportunity to jump out to the early lead.  Some Freshmen play well on the road, but most Freshmen and Sophs are going to struggle on the road.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The moral to this lesson is be patient.  The team should do better next year, and much better two years from now when we should be a senior heavy team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I guess any time we lose it is some sort of blaming session immediately since there is no way it has anything to do with playing a top ten team.

Can we take this loss for what it was? We were out worked and could not compete on the field this game. Sure-- if everything goes our way and we convert this and that-- we win. This is of course why they play the games. And if we happen to lose to WVU-- don't be shcked again folks-- these are some of the best  teams in the country. We will still see a bowl game and we cannot finish under .500

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I'm fairly certain everyone of us realized how tough this stretch of the schedule would be. that we lost can't be that big of a surprise. It's not like we lost to UConn for crying out loud.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

I'm fairly certain everyone of us realized how tough this stretch of the schedule would be. that we lost can't be that big of a surprise. It's not like we lost to UConn for crying out loud.

I think we all understand we are not a top 10 team, but I think many (myself included) were disappointed with the effort tonight.