• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Yahoo Sports

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Finally changed our logo  :P

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,073
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks E.T. for you constant badgering of those fellows...they finally succumbed and did the right thing.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

amazing.  i thought it would never happen

...they finally succumbed and did the right thing.

Same way I got my wife to marry me  ;D

Their Preview:

By JON PALMIERI, STATS Senior Writer

Louisville's dream of a perfect season and a potential national championship came crashing down following a stunning loss last week, but there is still plenty left to play for.

The road to recovery for the 10th-ranked Cardinals starts Saturday at home against surprising South Florida in a Big East matchup.

A 44-34 victory over West Virginia on Nov. 2 vaulted then-unbeaten Louisville (8-1, 3-1) to No. 3 in the Bowl Championship Series standings and was the biggest win in school history. The Cardinals were then on their way to cementing their status as a legitimate national title contender as they jumped out to a 25-7 second-quarter lead at Rutgers on Nov. 9.

The Scarlet Knights, however, weren't ready to give up on their own bid for a perfect season and rallied for 21 unanswered points, including the winning field goal with 13 seconds remaining that ended Louisville's chances of landing a spot in the BCS title game.

Quarterback Brian Brohm admitted that the sudden frenzy surrounding the program following the win over West Virginia may have contributed to the loss.

"I think we were a little too worried about that last week, everyone not giving us the credit we thought we deserved," he said. "You just can't worry about that stuff because it is out of your hands."

Although there will be no trip to the BCS title game, the Cardinals remain hopeful they can win the Big East or receive an at-large bid to a BCS bowl game.

"Definitely our goals are still reachable," Brohm said. "We might need a little help to get the Big East Championship. We've just got to go out and focus on our job."

The only chance Louisville has of salvaging a BCS bowl game is if it wins out, while winning the conference would require Rutgers to lose two of its final three games.

The biggest challenge for Cardinals coach Bobby Petrino is getting his players ready to play following two of the most emotionally charged games in the program's history.

"Now we've got to go do it again and get back up for it again," Petrino said. "We have to rely on our competitiveness, rely on our leadership from within. ... We have to make sure everybody rallies and gets mentally ready to play."

Brohm will look to rebound after he was limited to a season-low 163 yards on 13-of-27 passing with one touchdown and one interception against Rutgers. That performance came one week after the junior was 19-of-26 for a season-high 354 yards in the win over West Virginia.

"It was a hard loss," Brohm said. "Watching the film, I saw some things. I could have done some things differently, which you always see. In a loss they magnify a little more. They weigh on you a little more."

Returning home should provide a boost for Louisville, which is 20-1 at Papa John's Cardinals Stadium under Petrino, including 16 straight wins since a 37-7 loss to Memphis on Nov. 15, 2003. The streak is the second-longest active at home in the nation, trailing only No. 4 Southern California's 31-game run.

Louisville's high-powered attack will face a stiff challenge for the second consecutive week. The Cardinals were limited to 266 total yards against Rutgers -- ranked fourth in the country in total defense -- and now go up against a South Florida team that is 15th in the nation with just 280.7 yards allowed per game.

The Bulls (7-3, 3-2), meanwhile, aren't counting themselves out in the race for the conference title.

"We probably are going to a bowl," South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said. "Now let's play for a championship. You know, stranger things have happened since the beginning of time. There's a lot of things that have to happen, but you never know."

Freshman Matt Grothe threw for a school-record 364 yards and two touchdowns in a 27-10 victory over Syracuse last Saturday, the fourth win in five games for the Bulls since a heartbreaking two-point loss to Rutgers.

"I just want to win football games. ... (The record's) nice, but if we don't win, it doesn't matter," said Grothe, who completed nine of his first 10 passes and finished 25-for-35 with one interception.

The Bulls have won both home meetings with the Cardinals, but lost 41-9 in the only matchup at Louisville on Oct. 22, 2004. South Florida beat then-No. 9 Louisville 45-14 in Tampa on Sept. 24, 2005, the highest-ranked opponent it's ever defeated.