• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OT:  FSU boosters paid Jeff Bowden to quit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

They needed to make a change up there. I am one of the few that like Bowden and respect what he has done for that University. I would like to see him go out with a good season. Clearly Jeffy, wasn't getting it done.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

sounds like Jeff got a pretty sweet deal.  good thing too, because it will be atleast another 6 years until he can realistically get another job, maybe he should start going by his real name, George Bowden.  someone might hire him.

He'll be fine, he'll just do what every other coach that doesn't make it at a higher level does - drop down to a hurting 1-a school or 1-aa, build some success, and if he wants to try to come back.

So you are saying he will end up in Orlando?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

The last thing I want is a booster running our football program.

E.T. every big football program is run by the boosters, and when USF gets the numbers of big time boosters that those schools have it will be NO different.

Unfortunately guys who pay $50,000+ to the athletic dept/school are going to get a chance to have their say in the program. It's just the way it works, if they don't they'll take their money. Look at the Zook situation at UF, the Willingham situation at ND, even AVERAGE programs like Michigan State with John L. Smith, those were all situations where the coaches contracts were bought out by the boosters, not the school.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

We could be 10-0 and lead the nation in offense and there would still be some who feel the need to ***** about Smith .... When he has the personnel to run his offense, it works pretty darn well.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

We could be 10-0 and lead the nation in offense and there would still be some who feel the need to ***** about Smith .... When he has the personnel to run his offense, it works pretty darn well.

Exactly. With a QB that can actually throw, we are moving the ball.  Just need to get better in the run game.

Agreed BBC, which is why I have always defended the guy, the offense just never had the playmakers at QB and on the Oline (which is much better this year) to be effective.

That being said we lose one of these last 2, it won't be anyone's fault but Smith's unfortunately.  ::)

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I wish we had the money to buy out Rod Smith.

are you sure? With GrothE at QB, Rod's play calling seems to be much better to me. I just hope that he doesn't get GrothE killed by running him between the tackles sooooooo much.....

JMHO

he is sure

if usf had a top

oc grothe would be that much better

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we never have to worry about that scenario

do you think the criticism of smith has been unjust or unfair?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I disagree that ALL programs have boosters that have the ability to "fire" coaches.

Auburn does for sure. Their booster that owns Colonial Bank "fired" Bowden ... he was messing around with his daughter  :o Granted, this is different than "firing" asst. coaches.