• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No Comment on Soccer not making NCAAs?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

very dissapointing season to say the least

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

underachievers

Actually, given what they had to work with, I dont think they underachieved at all. They had virtually the same record as St. Johns did last year when St. Johns went to the NCAAs. Considering they weren't able to start their top 11 together AT ALL all season, I cant say they really underachieved. It was a disappointing season, no doubt. But they took what the injury bug gave them...and they handled it as well as could have been expected.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Don't think anyone anywhere would of guessed that USF, #6 in the Pre-Season Polls, would not make the NCAA's.

Here's an article that even talks about how inaccurate pre-season polls have been in soccer, even though they themselves analyze the pre-season polls from this year:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=376589&root=ncaa&cc=5901

KL,

The article I don't know if it has relevancy on USF's circumstance since even he had us ranked 6th in the nation.  Given our run last year, the talent we have is probably as good as any team in the country outside of 4-5 teams, the amount of starters returning, where every expert had us ranked, this crumbling reminds me of when SI had Arizona ranked #1 in their pre-season football poll and Zona failed to have a winning season that year.

This was disappointing despite injuries because the talent is available well into the bench.  You could limp into the playoffs and understand a bit based on injury issues, and guys like Hidalgo leaving for national games but repetitively losing to inferior opponents, dropping or tying games they had won.  I remember the home UL game, had it won, and played loose on defense, had to many attackers up late in the game and UL ties the game.  That was inexcusable, good teams shut the door when they go up with 20 minutes left.   They were real sloppy in that game, and time and again I saw players trying to do to much instead of trying to play a game of keep away, which is what they should have been doing with 12 minutes and counting left.   To many guys trying to beat men instead of using movement and passing to open things up.  

To bad, Keifer needs to be upset and talk about shaking things up a tad on that team.  You can't have that many HS AA's and play so mediocre some need to be committed to the program.  

underachievers

Actually, given what they had to work with, I dont think they underachieved at all. They had virtually the same record as St. Johns did last year when St. Johns went to the NCAAs. Considering they weren't able to start their top 11 together AT ALL all season, I cant say they really underachieved. It was a disappointing season, no doubt. But they took what the injury bug gave them...and they handled it as well as could have been expected.

Well, some guys weren't as banged up as....I think a tiny bit of heart needs to come into question.  Talent is there, despite injuries, but USF's talent does have an extremely international flare.  Many players on the team have different agenda's aside from college soccer.  Many have national team obligations, and U-23 ranked teams to worry about in addition to USF-- those games, more so then the college games, are what will get them to the pro level.  

I hear more commitment needs to be made to the program from some players.  This team barely plays or trains together outside of the season.

Guest wildrover

Every game I went to, the team looked very uninspired, you can see the talent but I don't see the heart or the passion when a fire gets lit under their rear maybe things will change.  maybe next year will be better since recovering from this disappointment will give them something to play for.  

Every game I went to, the team looked very uninspired, you can see the talent but I don't see the heart or the passion when a fire gets lit under their rear maybe things will change.  maybe next year will be better since recovering from this disappointment will give them something to play for.  

Saw three games and had the same opinion...uninspired and to much individualism.  There is no doubt we have some of the nation's best talented players, but they don't need to prove it on every play or rather faking out a player with your feet is useless in big time soccer.   Pele' once said the best players you shouldn't know they're on the field because they were so fluid, and kept the flow of the game moving that you shouldn't have time to notice.  Sure faking out a guy one on one looks good, but a deft pass to a streaking winger is typically more effective.  Pele' was proud not to be the Brazilian all-time leading national scorer, but that he was also the assist leader.  

Also, I've that there are to many personal agenda's.  A few guys on various national teams, and junior world cup teams, and league select teams.  There's the feeling they're more worried about their play and appearance in those games then the college games.

Hopefully you're right that this season will serve as inspiration, but I get the feeling more look at it more as a distraction to other soccer commitments they have in their life.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,269
  • Days Won:  255

I believe it is what some call that "communist kickball" game that all the kids that did not get picked for the real sports would play in PE.

what's this "soccer" that you all speak of?

Guest wildrover

The word soccer actually came from England.  Back in the 1860's (I believe) at CAmbridge (or Oxford, one of the big two in England) it became trendy for students to only say part of a word and then add an er at the end.  For example a rugby play would call himself a rugger.  At the time Association Football had been started and the game had begun to become popular.  When one student was asked if he was a rugger he took the soc from association and added the cer, therefore, his answer was "no, i'm a soccer".  Obviously, it stuck, in the U.S. anyway but when I was in Ireland last year there was actually a store dedicated to soccer that was called "The soccer store" so, its not a strangely American as some people think.  

Someone may want to check the details on that, its mostly off the top of my head. LG I hope it helps answer your question though