• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Even an unbeaten Big East team [out of NC game]

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Gene Wojciechowski on ESPN is still of the opinion that an undefeated UL does not deserve to make the NC game.  Well, I hope USF (and not Rutgers) proves that to be true, but some of the stuff he uses as an arguement is ridiculous.

Making it through Louisville's "playoff" schedule (West Virginia, Rutgers) isn't anything like Florida's (Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida State) or Michigan's (Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Ohio State) or Texas' (Ohio State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M) or USC's (Arkansas, Nebraska, Oregon State, Oregon, Cal and Notre Dame) or Arkansas' (USC, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU) or Cal's (Tennessee, Oregon State, Oregon, USC). And Texas, Florida and Arkansas/Auburn or LSU still have to play in conference championship games; Louisville and Rutgers don't.

i LOVE how he still throws in Georgia and FSU as tough games for UF. I agree they may be tough, but that's more because UF isn't scoring a lot. Texas gets the tough Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Texas A&M in the dominant big 12 this season.  USC's schedule is actually tough this year, and that's why they'll probably lose again.

and here is where it gets better:  

You like apples?

Sure.

Well, those BCS standings have us No. 3. How you like dem apples?

I think the SEC, for example, has four teams in the top 12 of the BCS standings, five teams in the top 13 of the AP poll. The Big East has one team in the top 12 of the BCS, one in the top 14 of the AP. I also think Ohio State would beat you by double digits. The same goes for Texas, USC, Cal and Michigan.

The last time I checked, WVU was still in the top 10 in all the polls, including the BCS.  He seems to conveinantly forget them.

If we extend that limit the the top 13 of the BCS:  hey look, there's Rutgers!  Let's go to the top 15 of the AP:  Rutgers again!  Who knew!  If the SEC is the best overall conference this year, then 4 SEC teams in top 13 of the BCS compared to 3 in the big east is very comparable.  

Obviously, some people disagree with UL deserving to be in the NC game if they win out, but at least get your facts straight.  People on this board do a better job than that guy.  (There is a dissenting column on espn).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2652449

Guest r_to_the_izzo

If the ville runs the table, it will be hard to justify them not playing in the NC. I do think though, if Texas, USC, and Florida all have a good shot at passing them in the BCS if they can win convinvingly enough to move up in the human polls.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I mentione d afew days ago, the media is going to make a case for UL not to be there so they CAN piss on the BCS again. Had it been WVU I might have bought into the argument (their schedule). However UL still tried to schedule tough, the fact that Miami and KSU aren't as good as they were in 2002-2003 when the games were scheduled isn't their fault.

I think most the fans at the other schools with 1 loss agree too. However, if the media takes off with it don't expect them to stay off the media's coat tails. I don't blame any 1 loss school puting their best case foward, as we would do the same thing if it came down to an undefeated team like BYU getting a title shot over a 1 loss Louisville or WVU.

If you wanna see it hit the fan have Rutgers win out.

I do think though, if Texas, USC, and Florida all have a good shot at passing them in the BCS if they can win convinvingly enough to move up in the human polls.

I doubt it, UL's computer average is #3 now.  If they beat Rutgers they'd pass Texas in the coaches poll (currently only 15 points down).  But whatever, I hope it doesn't matter and we beat them.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

It's funny how the Gators get to include FSU as a tough game, but UL didn't get Miami included.  FSu and Miami have the same record.  Why doesn't Pitt get any street cred?  I know why we don't, but we will in a few years if we win some bowl games.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

who cares what Gene Wo. says.  Jerry Palm, the BCS expert, has stated that UL would play in NC game if running the table.  I posted that article.  

Guest r_to_the_izzo
I do think though, if Texas, USC, and Florida all have a good shot at passing them in the BCS if they can win convinvingly enough to move up in the human polls.

I doubt it, UL's computer average is #3 now.  If they beat Rutgers they'd pass Texas in the coaches poll (currently only 15 points down).  But whatever, I hope it doesn't matter and we beat them.

Those same computers had UL at 10 a week before.  Them being at #3 this week means d1ck.

Those same computers had UL at 10 a week before.  Them being at #3 this week means d1ck.

Means they moved up 7 spots from 1 game, and if they won this week they'd make a run at #2 or #1 in the computer polls.  They don't have any cupcake games left to lower their SOS.

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Means they moved up 7 spots from 1 game, and if they won this week they'd make a run at #2 or #1 in the computer polls.  They don't have any cupcake games left to lower their SOS.

Thats your interpetation. But not only are the records of who you play a factor, but the records of the teams they played too. Too many factors go into them to say they will make a run at #1 or #2, especially when OSU/UM are at what .9 something. And UL isnt even to .8?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

UL can settle this debate by winning out and then beating the crap out of the other team in the NC game. Sound familiar? Yeah-- that's what WVU did last year when no one thought they could beat Georgia.

Now don't get me wrong-- I'm not saying Georgia was the best team ever last year but they were significantly better than they were this year. Good enough to win the SEC title. The proof that WVU deserved the BCS bowl was winning that game.

In our first year of the "new" Big East (not our first year in it, but without Miami and VaTech), Pitt got beat down by a surprising Utah squad. That kind of led to this whole situation or at least validated some of the argument for the bashing we got in 2005. WVU took care of the bashers hitting us again this year with it's win. I fully expect whoever wins the Big East this season to show that same type of legitimacy in their BCS bowl game- be it in the NC or otherwise.

No team is unbeatable folks.