• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe hobbled, but again not expected to miss any

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe hobbled, but again not expected to miss any games

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published November 5, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - For the second time in four games, freshman quarterback Matt Grothe left a game in the final quarter with an injury to his right foot, though the injury isn't expected to keep him from playing in Saturday's home finale against Syracuse.

Grothe, who ran for one score and a team-high 51 yards Saturday and put the game away with a 46-yard touchdown pass, suffered the injury on the third play of the fourth quarter, a 7-yard run.

He was helped off the field without putting weight on his right leg, then was carted off the field for X-rays. He had a boot on his right foot after the game, but declined requests for interviews.

When Grothe injured his foot Oct. 7 against Connecticut, he wore the boot for two days at practice and still returned healthy enough to lead USF to a win at North Carolina.

Senior Pat Julmiste, who has 24 career starts, took over for Grothe on Saturday and had two key plays in the final quarter, recovering Ricky Ponton's fumble and converting on fourth and 1 to help salt away the clock. He rushed 10 times for 45 yards.

NOT TOO SMART: With his team down 16 points, Pittsburgh tight end Darrell Strong caught a touchdown with 6:22 left in the game, knowing the Panthers needed a 2-point conversion to pull within a single score.

Strong was flagged for a personal foul when he raised his middle finger to the crowd. That forced Pitt to try the conversion from the 18-yard line, and Tyler Palko's pass sailed out of bounds.

Saturday night, the Associated Press reported that coach Dave Wannstedt suspended Strong indefinitely.

"Our football program and university have very high standards and we will not tolerate the behavior Darrell Strong displayed today," Wannstedt said in a statement.

Strong apologized in a separate statement.

Pittsburgh was penalized 11 times for 96 yards, both more than double its average.

NOT AGAIN: USF's kicking woes continued, as freshman Delbert Alvarado, who took over on kicks last month after Mike Benzer was ineffective, had a 37-yard field goal blocked and missed an extra point wide.

Alvarado lined up for a 47-yard field goal in the fourth quarter but took the snap directly and punted into the end zone.

ONE MORE: Linebacker Stephen Nicholas had two sacks, moving him into second place on USF's career tackles-for-loss list, tied with Terrence Royal at 47.5. Nicholas has three games to catch Greg Walls, who set the record of 48 from 1999-2002.

THIS AND THAT: Grothe's 76 percent completion percentage (19-for-25) is the second-best in USF history for 20 or more attempts. ...Trae Williams' fourth-quarter interception gave him six this season, tying J.R. Reed for the second-best season total in USF history. Reed also has the record, with seven in 2003. ... Senior safety Jeremy Burnett had his first career interception and junior cornerback Mike Jenkins had his first of the season, off a deflection by Williams.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

Grothe is the man we need him if we are to have a chance vs LVille or WV

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

W00T!!! PJ will start (despite what anyone says!!!), but GrothE will dominate.  If PJ moves the ball and doesn't turn it over he may actually get most of the first half.  I hope he plays well, and gives GrothE that little bit of extra time to come out nad destroy SU.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

If Grothe isn't 100% and Julmiste can move the ball, I wouldn't mind seeing Matt rest.  If Julmiste is not effective than Grothe needs to be in there if he can go.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

^^^

I totally agree, but without Andre I don't think PJ can do it.  He's just not accurate enough and he has no touch.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

WRs are much better this year then last so even with Pat in there I think he would look better then many games last year.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

should be able to get a run game going against syracuse anyway.