• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How do you get players to adjust to weather?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

We laid an egg at Uconn and then at Cincy... We are 5x better in Tampa heat..  The Big 3 tend not to be fouled by cold weather?   It seems to me that in recruiting Florida players we get speed but guys that have trouble playing in cold weather.....   Think about it in HS all our players play in the mid 70s to low 80s how can they be expected to play in different weather?  I guarantee that when we play PITT will be different from the team that played cincy... I never really thought weather would factor in a team's losing but... (I do not buy into the Bucs cold weather troubles the same way because they have players that played college ball through many different kinds of weather)   Our O-line looked miserable at Cincy, can't help but think the big guys and our speed guys could not adjust to weather...  Yes I have heard that cold is a state of mind, but my god our track record against equal or even less talented teams in cold does not add up...  Just wondering what factor you all thought weather plays?  Hell some of our guys went with underarmor, no sleeves, long sleeve shirts, hell it also looked like some of our guys had the wrong spikes on?  Does our coaching staff make recommendations as to what the players should or should not wear? or does everyone do their own thing (that is what I am betting on after watching some slip on the field and some that were fine?)

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

If DB/WR's wear gloves, the only person that should be remotely affected is the QB.  He needs to keep his hand warm or it wll affect his grip.  I don't know how you practice for it.  I do think that coaches and players should take extra care to have the right equipment on.  Football players aren't babies...they should be able to play in the cold.

Personally, I think it's less a problem of weather for us and more a problem with road games in general.

It should be noted that UF practically never plays in significant cold.  They might see a road game @ South Carolina or something.  However, that happens every other year and SC isn't even always cold.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
If DB/WR's wear gloves, the only person that should be remotely affected is the QB.  He needs to keep his hand warm or it wll affect his grip.  I don't know how you practice for it.  I do think that coaches and players should take extra care to have the right equipment on.  Football players aren't babies...they should be able to play in the cold.

[highlight]Personally, I think it's less a problem of weather for us and more a problem with road games in general.[/highlight]

It should be noted that UF practically never plays in significant cold.  They might see a road game @ South Carolina or something.  However, that happens every other year and SC isn't even always cold.

I agree with that 100%.  We are a very poor road team.

Relative to UF not playing in the cold, I can remember sitting in the stands at some UF vs. FSU games in late November where it was in the 40's and brisk!  That's about what it was in Cincy.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

Relative to UF not playing in the cold, I can remember sitting in the stands at some UF vs. FSU games in late November where it was in the 40's and brisk!  That's about what it was in Cincy.

Perfect football weather!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it is in their heads

both teams play in same weather

players need to be mentally tougher

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

Practice on ice and the Forum, I am sure an arrangement could be worked out

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

Over the last 2 years, 7 of our 9 losses have been on the road....so it's not just the cold. Perhaps we need to have them "visualize" a pirate ship in every stadium they visit......

I can't wait to see trae williams making a roller skating motion as he chases down a WR.

Injury city!

Another heavily overlooked problem about going on the road is how well the team travels, how well they sleep in a new area, and so on.  Road teams can get jet lag or lose concentration/energy on long trips.  Also, going to bed at a time that you usually don't will affect you.  You can't be at 100% that way, even if you can learn to get close.  Take 11 people and raise their chance for mental error even 5% though, and more than half the time someone isn't playing as well as a result.

I can't wait to see trae williams making a roller skating motion as he chases down a WR.

Injury city!

Another heavily overlooked problem about going on the road is how well the team travels, how well they sleep in a new area, and so on.  Road teams can get jet lag or lose concentration/energy on long trips.  Also, going to bed at a time that you usually don't will affect you.  You can't be at 100% that way, even if you can learn to get close.  Take 11 people and raise their chance for mental error even 5% though, and more than half the time someone isn't playing as well as a result.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,783
  • Days Won:  3

it is in their heads

both teams play in same weather

players need to be mentally tougher

Exactly. Look at how the local folks were dressed.

The cold and the heat impact both teams equally.

We are not road warriors. Been that way for quite

some time.  To look for the weather, or jet lag, or

the absence of mama's home cookin' is to look for

excuses as to why a game was lost. When we lose

at home - it's talent...when we lose on the road, it

has to be some obscure voodoo. Losing at home

and losing on the road come down to the same

variables.