• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

retirecoachbowden.com

Guest r_to_the_izzo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

its the what have you done for me lately mentality.  appearantly lately has become the last offensive series.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

leavitt to fsu would be wonderful for both programs

though bowden has won enough to determine his own fate

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Leavitt would not be a great fit for FSU. He won't leave here anyways. There is no pressure to win here like there will be at FSU. Media scrutiny is limited to Brett busting his balls. In Tally, it would be open season on Jimbo. His tenure would be shorter than Ron Zook's tenure at UF if he went to Tally.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
So going to our first Bowl game in 9 short years and 100 games isn't miraculous?  What other teams have done that?  (There may be others, I truely don't know.)

Exactly, I find it hard to say that what he has done for this program up to know would not be considered miraculous. Has any other school in the history of college football ever progressed so far so fast?

Guys, guys..........I don't think we're actually disagreeing here.  I said up front that the way he has built this program has been remarkable ("miraculous" being a stretch since I usually reserve that term for things that defy nature, e.g. walking on water, raising the dead, etc.).  It is amazing how fast we have come to where we are, and Coach Leavitt has been a key part of that.

All I'm saying is that now that he's among the "Big Boys" in the Big East (Rodriguez, Petrino, Schiano, and the like), we'll see some deficiencies in his coaching and certainly his choice of certain assistant coaches more than we did in C-USA.  We've hit a big time plateau, and we may very well be there for a while.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Isn't this our second year in the BE ?  And we should be competing for a league championship ?  People want Bobby to retire ?  Wow - I am amazed.  Is he really 76 years old Dang, maybe he should retire.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

FSU faithful are in for a big surprize when Booby moves on tothe rocking chair.  They're gonna suffer at least one 4-5 loss season immediately w/a new coach.  They are just so spoiled.  The biggest problem with FSU & Miami aren't the coaches.  It's the numbers 85 and 7.  85 as in 85 scholarships compared to what it was back in the 80s and early 90s and 7 as in 7 D1A teams in FL compared to 3 D1A teams and a so-so D1AA.  The Big Three does not have a three deep loaded with kids that would start on any team in the country.  Half of the schollie kids at the 2s & 3s & 90% of those great walkons are playing/starting at USF, UCF, FAU & FIU now.  The biggest coaching/recruiting/player issue I see FSU & UM neither are running the ball well which is leaving thier Ds on the field for to many plays.

Guest r_to_the_izzo
FSU faithful are in for a big surprize when Booby moves on tothe rocking chair.  They're gonna suffer at least one 4-5 loss season immediately w/a new coach.  They are just so spoiled.  The biggest problem with FSU & Miami aren't the coaches.  It's the numbers 85 and 7.  85 as in 85 scholarships compared to what it was back in the 80s and early 90s and 7 as in 7 D1A teams in FL compared to 3 D1A teams and a so-so D1AA.  The Big Three does not have a three deep loaded with kids that would start on any team in the country.  Half of the schollie kids at the 2s & 3s & 90% of those great walkons are playing/starting at USF, UCF, FAU & FIU now.  The biggest coaching/recruiting/player issue I see FSU & UM neither are running the ball well which is leaving thier Ds on the field for to many plays.

I know its hard to follow FSU since their in state, but the Noles have had 2 five loss seasons since 02. That is why the "spoiled" are ready to move on. Both FSU and UM are still recruiting that top level talent, but when schools lose 4 starters to the 1st round of the draft each year do you expect them to reload every year? Eventually you hit a string of bad luck. If UM and FSU hire the right coaches, they both will be back in national contention in 07.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

So going to our first Bowl game in 9 short years and 100 games isn't miraculous?  What other teams have done that?  (There may be others, I truely don't know.)

Exactly, I find it hard to say that what he has done for this program up to know would not be considered miraculous. Has any other school in the history of college football ever progressed so far so fast?

Guys, guys..........I don't think we're actually disagreeing here.  I said up front that the way he has built this program has been remarkable ("miraculous" being a stretch since I usually reserve that term for things that defy nature, e.g. walking on water, raising the dead, etc.).  It is amazing how fast we have come to where we are, and Coach Leavitt has been a key part of that.

All I'm saying is that now that he's among the "Big Boys" in the Big East (Rodriguez, Petrino, Schiano, and the like), we'll see some deficiencies in his coaching and certainly his choice of certain assistant coaches more than we did in C-USA.  We've hit a big time plateau, and we may very well be there for a while.

Your right, I think we are agreeing for the most part. My point was that given what Leavitt has done with this program I think miraculous is a perfect description and it isn't any surprise that fans of FSU would describe his success that way. Going forward, well I think we'll just have to see. It's my personal opinion that the only thing that could hold him back is his extreme loyalty to the assistant coaches but again that is just my opinion.

Also, your right that we're among the big boys however he has only been recruiting with "big boy" clout for a couple of seasons and that is hardly time to build a solid foundation in talent and depth. Heck, 10 years (and practically no budget) is hardly time to build a solid program at all much less one that can compete at this level. So for me I think he definitely has what it takes to get us there, but again it's my opinion that only his unwillingness to upgrade those around him could hold him back.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

Media scrutiny is limited to Brett busting his balls.

Well if Brett's "ball busting" article about E.C. resulted in the end of his tenure and the hiring of Lelo Prado, then Brett please bust away at some balls.  BTW I doubt that Brett's article had anything to do with that situation, but it was nice to read some real investigative reporting - sports or otherwise - instead of the typical media propaganda.

I have read every article and column written by Brett, and he is very fair on USF.  He writes the loin's share of Tribune articles, and he only writes negative articles/comments when they are appropriate.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Media scrutiny is limited to Brett busting his balls.

Well if Brett's "ball busting" article about E.C. resulted in the end of his tenure and the hiring of Lelo Prado, then Brett please bust away at some balls.  BTW I doubt that Brett's article had anything to do with that situation, but it was nice to read some real investigative reporting - sports or otherwise - instead of the typical media propaganda.

I have read every article and column written by Brett, and he is very fair on USF.  [highlight]He writes the loin's share of Tribune articles[/highlight], and he only writes negative articles/comments when they are appropriate.

The LOINS share?!?!  Do loins have shares?