• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

rod smith

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

showed me again in first quarter that he is in over his head as OC

he consistently calls bad plays

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I think there are 2 very strong examples of his poor play calling in the first half:

1) There were only 2 pass plays in the first 20 plays called, and both of those were swings into the flat.

2) 3rd and 19, calls a QB keeper.

Towards the end of the half, he called some short drop plays that were better suited to the type of rush that Cincy is putting on our o-line.  Hopefully, he'll continue to adjust.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

usf coaches are poor at adjusting as we saw last night

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

2) 3rd and 19, calls a QB keeper.

Your kidding right? I mean it was early in the game (1st Quarter), the Oline had played bad, the wind was at our back and we had 19 yards to pick up.

Calling a QB keeper that early wasn't a bad call. There aren't very many plays for 3rd and 19, and when the game is still close(2-0) you don't want to give the team any advantage of a risky turnover from a long pass play. The three prudent choices MOST coaches would make in that situation would be

1) Handoff to a back

2) Short pass

3) QB keeper

if you get it, great, if not you punt with 7-8 yards of extra room.

I have no problem with that playcall, unfortunately Matt didn't wrap the ball up all that well and it was a fumble.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

i vote for #2...if you know youre gonna run it, hand it off to a back.  although matts a great runner, a rb 9 times out of 10 knows how to protect the ball better!

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

we had a drive in the game that brough us down to their 10 yard line or so-- a nice drive however we got there. Matt threw an interception and the drive ended. Is that Rod's fault?

I love how any time we lose it's Rod's fault and anytime we win-- we sing the praises of the players.

it's like a broken record

no that part isnt rod's fault but these things are.

Ponton was running extremely well when he got the ball (4.2 ypc) and he only got the ball 9 times, we have a good RB use him

Grothe attempted 7 rushes only 2 less than ponton, we have a good RB use hime

How many times can you run that bubble screen ,seriously?  Yes you want to run screens against a blitz but screens to the RB that utilizes Offensive linemen taking advantage of over agressive up the field pass rushing and blitzes and fainting getting beat then blocking on the next lever for a RB, not quick swings to the WR's hoping other WR's are gunna spring you with a block. Cinci was blitzing alot and had a strong pass rush why not run a few screens to ponton to take advantage of that?

Fake Punt, enough said

Yes some people are placing blame for everything on Smith and yes he cant control fumbles, ints ect but the play calling was atrocious last night and there were never any adjustments made to try to counteract the agressive cincinatti D.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ponton's last 6 carries netted 14 yards, he wasn't the unbelievable force you were making him out to be.

There were only 3 designed QB keepers the rest were off the option and or being flushed out of the pocket.  One was also a sack which counts against your rushing stats.

The swing/Bubble passes were a plenty, but how many down field dropped passes or overthrown passes were there? A LOT, I counted 8 (Ponton dropped one wide open on a screen to him)

Rod didn't call the fake punt, Leavitt did.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

we had a drive in the game that brough us down to their 10 yard line or so-- a nice drive however we got there. Matt threw an interception and the drive ended. Is that Rod's fault?

I love how any time we lose it's Rod's fault and anytime we win-- we sing the praises of the players.

it's like a broken record

A drive that took us ALMOST to the endzone, in 60 minutes of football.

Guest r_to_the_izzo

I equate the 06 bulls to the 98 Bucs. Talented team, play makers on the field, play calling will continue to keep them stuck at a lower level.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

The players made mistakes, especially at QB.  The int in the beginning of the third as well as the pass that ended up a fumble (the reciever had triple coverage) were very bad mistakes... but that's what you'd expect out of a young team.  

Unfortunately the offesnive coordinator did nothing to help them out.  Cincinnati watched our game film and was ready.  Rod did nothing to take advantage of the constant blitz, called way too many "swing" passes, and did nothing to adjust the offensive scheme all night.

Give credit to Cincinnati, they have a tough defense, but they're not invincible.