• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFN Fearless Predictions USF v UCinn

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

http://cfn.scout.com/2/578992.html

South Florida (5-2) at Cincinnati (3-4), 8:00 EST, ESPN, Sunday, October 22

Why to watch: For the first time in five years, South Florida won a non-conference game against a BCS team, pounding North Carolina 37-20 in Chapel Hill. It was a validation victory for a program that’s getting lost in the shadow of the Big East’s ranked teams. Winners of two straight, the Bulls are now within a game of bowl eligibility for the second consecutive year. The standings will say otherwise, however, Cincinnati is playing very good football these days. Fueled by a very fast defense and a vastly improved running game, the Bearcats have beaten two MAC teams and spooked Ohio State, Virginia Tech and Louisville over the past month. They’ll need to hold serve at home Sunday night to realistically remain in the hunt for a post-season game.

Why South Florida might win: It’s aliveâ€â€the Bulls running game, that is. For the first time in eight years, USF has had back-to-back 100-yard rushers, complementing the dual-threat capabilities of QB Matt Grothe. Not coincidentally, the offense has scored 75 points in those games, wins over Connecticut and North Carolina. Cincinnati averages just 18 points a game, lacking the offensive punch to out score the revamped South Florida offense.

Why Cincinnati might win: Over the last three games, the Bearcats have started controlling the line of scrimmage, something they’ll have to do to beat surging South Florida. Over that span, Cincy has out rushed opponents by an average of 220 to 60 yards, thanks to an improving front seven and the running of senior Greg Moore. The young program that’s come close all year to getting a signature win is finally ready to handle a beatable team.

Who to watch: While the hits are beginning to accumulate for most college players, South Florida RB Ricky Ponton is well-rested and just getting started in 2006. Ponton returned from a six-game suspension last week to rush for 101 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries. His physical presence makes the offense more diverse, especially in play action.

What will happen: South Florida’s cresting, while Cincinnati is still learning how to win close games, a trend that’ll continue Sunday night when Mike Benzer boots the game-winner late in the fourth quarter.

CFN Prediction: South Florida 23 ... Cincinnati 20 ... Line: Cincinnati -1.5

Must See Rating: (5 skip the birth of your first born - 1 Knights of Prosperity) ... 2.5

http://cfn.scout.com/2/578992.html  

South Florida (5-2) at Cincinnati (3-4), 8:00 EST, ESPN, Sunday, October 22  

Why to watch: For the first time in five years, South Florida won a non-conference game against a BCS team, pounding North Carolina 37-20 in Chapel Hill. It was a validation victory for a program that’s getting lost in the shadow of the Big East’s ranked teams. Winners of two straight, the Bulls are now within a game of bowl eligibility for the second consecutive year. The standings will say otherwise, however, Cincinnati is playing very good football these days. Fueled by a very fast defense and a vastly improved running game, the Bearcats have beaten two MAC teams and spooked Ohio State, Virginia Tech and Louisville over the past month. They’ll need to hold serve at home Sunday night to realistically remain in the hunt for a post-season game.  

Why South Florida might win: It’s aliveâ€â€the Bulls running game, that is. For the first time in eight years, USF has had back-to-back 100-yard rushers, complementing the dual-threat capabilities of QB Matt Grothe. Not coincidentally, the offense has scored 75 points in those games, wins over Connecticut and North Carolina. Cincinnati averages just 18 points a game, lacking the offensive punch to out score the revamped South Florida offense.  

Why Cincinnati might win: Over the last three games, the Bearcats have started controlling the line of scrimmage, something they’ll have to do to beat surging South Florida. Over that span, Cincy has out rushed opponents by an average of 220 to 60 yards, thanks to an improving front seven and the running of senior Greg Moore. The young program that’s come close all year to getting a signature win is finally ready to handle a beatable team.  

Who to watch: While the hits are beginning to accumulate for most college players, South Florida RB Ricky Ponton is well-rested and just getting started in 2006. Ponton returned from a six-game suspension last week to rush for 101 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries. His physical presence makes the offense more diverse, especially in play action.  

What will happen: South Florida’s cresting, while Cincinnati is still learning how to win close games, a trend that’ll continue Sunday night when Mike Benzer boots the game-winner late in the fourth quarter.

CFN Prediction: South Florida 23 ... Cincinnati 20 ... Line: Cincinnati -1.5  

Must See Rating: (5 skip the birth of your first born - 1 Knights of Prosperity) ... 2.5

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

Benzer with the game winning FG?  I doubt it.

On another note...look at the "Must See Rating".  5 = skip the birth of your son...so there's assuming only guys like this.  I mean, how can a girl possibly skip that!?  :o

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

If there's anything to put your faith in to win a BULLS matchup, I hope it has NOTHING to do with the kicking team...

And I'M the optomistic guy around here... ;D

Irregaurdless...  The Mighty USF BULLS WILL WIN Sunday !!!

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

Alvarado is our starting kicker sunday...

so if there is a game winning kick, benzer wont do it at all...

On another note...look at the "Must See Rating".  5 = skip the birth of your son...so there's assuming only guys like this.  I mean, how can a girl possibly skip that!?  :o

Hang a flat screen over the bed in the delivery room?? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Kicking off his career

Freshman Delbert Alvarado will get start at kicker sunday.

Kevin Smetana

Posted: 10/18/06

It took four missed field goals, a missed extra point and two losses by six points or less, but USF coach Jim Leavitt finally pulled sophomore kicker Mike Benzer.

At the start of the Bulls' 37-20 win at North Carolina on Saturday, Benzer had made just two field goals in five attempts this season, and after missing a fourth and an extra point, Leavitt replaced him with freshman Delbert Alvarado.

Alvarado, a Tampa native and Robinson High School graduate, played in USF's first three games and punted nine times for 313 yards. But Saturday was his first chance kicking at the collegiate level.

"It was a blessing and an honor," Alvarado said Tuesday at the team's weekly media luncheon. "(It was) just an amazing feeling. It's overwhelming. I can't really put it into words, but it was a once-in-a-lifetime type thing."

Benzer failed to split the uprights on a 46-yard field-goal attempt in the first quarter. After running back Ricky Ponton reached the end zone on a 1-yard run in the second quarter, Benzer then missed the extra-point attempt. These two missed opportunities caused Leavitt to replace Benzer with Alvarado.

Freshman quarterback Matt Grothe, who is Alvarado's roommate, was in a similar situation when he came off the bench to lead the Bulls to their 41-10 win in the first game of the season against McNeese State.

"The last couple weeks he's been talking about how if everything keeps playing out the way it's going, he's going to end up getting a chance," Grothe said. "He asked for advice a couple weeks ago because he knew I was in the same situation he is coming into the year. I was like, 'Just go out there and have fun. Don't worry about if you miss it. Just kick it like you do in practice, and you'll be all right.'"

Alvarado was successful on both of his extra-point attempts against the Tar Heels, and he made his only field-goal attempt - a 26-yarder in the fourth. Leavitt said Alvarado will start Sunday against Cincinnati, but the freshman knows he'll have to continue to play well to keep the starting job.

"Nothing is guaranteed," Alvarado said. "Every time I step on (the field), I don't look back - I don't look forward. It's just that kick at that time, whether it's an extra point, a 26-yard field goal or a game-winner."

Although he's been working on punting and kicking all along in practice, Alvarado said he was brought to USF primarily for punting. But after four years of fulfilling all kicking duties at Robinson, he's more than willing to step up whenever Leavitt calls his name.

"I did all three phases of special teams at my high school, so coach knew I could do different things if he needed me to," Alvarado said. "I told him when I got here, 'If you need me to kick off, punt, kick field goals,' - whatever it was, I'd be willing to do it."

He may have made the transition from high school to college as a punter - or at least started to - but Alvarado knows he'll have to adjust to the added noise that comes with kicking in college.

"I say kicking field goals is more of a head game because the blockers are trying to block the kick, (and) you have crowd noise," Alvarado said. "Usually when somebody punts, you don't hear the crowd get too loud."

Mike DePue, head coach at Robinson, said his team is struggling this season with the absence of Alvarado, but he and his coaching staff are proud to see their former starter earning some playing time at USF.

"I told him to have patience when he was there - that there was going to be some great competition," DePue said. "I think he'll be handling a lot of (USF's) kicking duties over the next few years."

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  253

Have they watched Benzer kick??  If it comes down to it, you can bet Cincy will call a timeout to "ice" the freshman kicker.  I'm sure he'll be fine.  Go Bulls!!!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

Kicking off his career

Freshman Delbert Alvarado will get start at kicker sunday.

Kevin Smetana

Posted: 10/18/06

Freshman quarterback Matt Grothe, who is Alvarado's roommate, was in a similar situation when he came off the bench to lead the Bulls to their 41-10 win in the first game of the season against McNeese State.

"The last couple weeks he's been talking about how if everything keeps playing out the way it's going, he's going to end up getting a chance," Grothe said. "He asked for advice a couple weeks ago because he knew I was in the same situation he is coming into the year. I was like, 'Just go out there and have fun. Don't worry about if you miss it. Just kick it like you do in practice, and you'll be all right.'"

It is official.  Grothe now also has an effect on the kicking game.  Only thing left is defense.  Need some quotes for that, heh.

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Hang a flat screen over the bed in the delivery room?? ;-) ;-) ;-)

So you go through the pains of labor, and the pain of watching Benzer try and make a field goal??? :o