• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What really grinds my ears

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

Every game we seem to start off with same crappy offensive gameplan that we started with the previous game. 2 questions.

1) Why does it take us until the second half to make these adjustments week in and week out?

2) When are we going to realize that running a QB draw on 3 and short is SO FREAKIN PREDICTABLE? Smith cannot continue to rely on Grothe to pick these 1st downs up like he is Jerome Bettis.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

What pissed me off is how on almost every 3rd and long Kansas seemed to get a 1st down by one or two yards.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Squire,

Have you ever played football?

You script upt to the 1st half. Then make adjustments at half time. Until your team is getting shitcanned you stick with the original gameplan. It was 0-0 and we had success moving the ball. We drove the ball inside their 25 twice, didn't make the 4th down (Leavitt's choice) and threw an INT to end the half.

We did make adjustments at the 1/2 but Kansas's ball control was unfreaking believable.

As for the 3rd down draw. It's the offense, and Grothe runs it well. The best example of how that play is to be ruin I can give is Tim Tebow running the exact same play against Tennessee on 3rd and 4th down 5 or 6 times last week and they never stopped it (they knew it was coming every time) or any game with Vince Young last year...However, that play is good for 2 reasons. With the QB running you have an extra blocker, Grothe runs well. Our Oline just didn't block well. It is a good play if ran correctly however.

Grothe is a gem, he runs well and passes well. Taking his legs away would just hurt how well he can run the offense.

What pissed me off is how on almost every 3rd and long Kansas seemed to get a 1st down by one or two yards.

Here all of Kansas third down plays by type:

3RD-SHORT (4 RUN, 0 PASS)

Down-Yds to go Line of Scrimage Player gain

3-1 H38 #29 14yards*

3-2 V02 #29 2yds**

3-2 V37 #29 1yds

3-2 H28 #29 3yds*

3RD-LONG (2 RUN, 12 PASS)

RUN

3-15 V33 #29 9yds

3-11 V32 #7 0yds

PASS

3-12 V44 #7 to #13 13yds*

3-16 V26 #7 to #29 6yds

3-11 H16 #7 to #29 13yds*

3-6 H40 #7 to #6 29yds*

3-8 V46 #7 to #6 INCOMPLETE

3-6 H06 #7 to #85 11yds*

3-10 H31 #7 to #86 11yds*

3-14 H16 #7 to #86 15yds*

3-8 H19 #7 to #86 17yds*

3-7 V18 #7 to #86 17yds*

3-10 H21 #7 to #88 INCOMPLETE

3-11 H37 #7 to # SACK

* = Converted

** = Touchdown

So, yes Mag Pie - on third and long they made it by a handful of yards each time.  They were 8 of 12 on third and long.

(Source: Game Notes from USF - PDF)

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

That's FIVE times they were 3rd and 10 or longer and converted.

Absolutely unacceptable.

That's FIVE times they were 3rd and 10 or longer and converted.

Absolutely unacceptable.

Three of them on their own 16 yard line.  Hold them here and USF get's good field position on a punt.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  132

Joe, I agree about the offensive plays being scripted, my problem is the USF offense is like the movie Groundhogs day. The d knows what is coming as do every person in the stands because it is the same script over and over.

USF is not the Cowboys of the 90's where it did not matter that the D knew what play was getting called because the O was so much better they controlled the game. USF does not have the capability to control a game on O.

The way I see it:

- Running game would suffer w/o A Hall - did not see the injuries and the drug probation but still thought the RB would not be close to A Hall

- OC RS will always call a terrible game - just do not like this guy and if CJL can not see how bad he is then the decision should be made for CJL and RS should be fired. IF CJL stands in the way fire them both. I appreciate what CJL has done for this program just like I appreciated Coach Dungy for the Bucs but sometimes a new direction neds to be taken.

- PJ should never have been the starting QB this year - that has been even better then I anticipated because MG has been the best player on O and possibly on the team

- CJL made a bad decision by choosing the wrong kicker and it cost us this game

- Coaching in general has been disappointing because this team continues to take penalties that are a result of a lack of discipline.

- This team will struggle to make a bowl game this year.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree with everything you says except for teh coaching.

Not saying Smith is good, but he's called a few good games. Unless this prgram is going nowhere in 3-4 years you cannot get rid of CJL.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Get rid of CJL?? This team is young. We are going to be pretty good this year, but I think next year we are going to be bad to the bone. Our future is looking bright. Fix the ACL and stop smoking weed and we will be ok.......

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Every game we seem to start off with same crappy offensive gameplan that we started with the previous game. 2 questions.

1) Why does it take us until the second half to make these adjustments week in and week out?

2) When are we going to realize that running a QB draw on 3 and short is SO FREAKIN PREDICTABLE? Smith cannot continue to rely on Grothe to pick these 1st downs up like he is Jerome Bettis.

our coaches arent any good

your criticisms have been the same for many years