• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Would be stupid to not play this game every year.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

I hear the arguments of stepping up in class.  I hear the arguments that it could hurt recruiting if we lost to UCF.  I hear the arguments that we want to have a rivalry with Miami or who ever.  But the facts are clear.  This game draws almost 50K fans.  The students watch it.  The community watches it.  I don't really see anyone losing in this series.  I don't think playing UCF is going to diminish us in any way.  We are going to become big time when we win a Big East Title -- and that is totally independent of playing UCF.  We win the Big East and everything takes care of itself.  This is a GREAT series.  A series that brings passion and fans.... and would be downright STUPID to not play this game every year.   To schedule Ball State and Buffalo is just retarded.

We have many other things to take care of before we worry about hurting our young reputation -- which by the way i think is WAY overblown.

Let us win the Big East and play in a BCS champ -- then worry about playing down to someone.  Other then Louisville -- I don't think our program has beaten anybody that great.  

PLAY THE GAME>!  It is a great series.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the legislature will force this series to continue

leavitt has no right not to play game

it is bigger than his ego

this game will continue with or without leavitt's blessing

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Gotta say the BCS has ruined this game being a good rivalry.  UF and FSU have ea. other.  UM has FSU.  USF/UCF should be natural rivals but the BCS perception is we can't 'cuz BCS is elite and the top of the BCS is.  USF is BCS not top but USF aspires to be that and can.  UCF isn't BCS so it really can't.  USF has a wins vs BCS & Top 25 teams.  Something UCF cannot tout.  USF had a 20+ home game win streak.  UCF had a 0-19 losing streak.  I don't understand how anyone that knows CF can say the teams are/should be equal.  If USF goes 3-0 I believe the last game in Orlando will not be as well attended by USF fans as yesterday.  If it is then I say to Doug Woolard, sign the contract for a 2n1 with an option for UCF to get a an 1n1 contract with them having the first home if they can garner 2 wins in 7 tries.  Maybe that's harsh but so be it.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

Gotta say the BCS has ruined this game being a good rivalry.  UF and FSU have ea. other.  UM has FSU.  USF/UCF should be natural rivals but the BCS perception is we can't 'cuz BCS is elite and the top of the BCS is.  USF is BCS not top but USF aspires to be that and can.  UCF isn't BCS so it really can't.  USF has a wins vs BCS & Top 25 teams.  Something UCF cannot tout.  USF had a 20+ home game win streak.  UCF had a 0-19 losing streak.  I don't understand how anyone that knows CF can say the teams are/should be equal.  If USF goes 3-0 I believe the last game in Orlando will not be as well attended by USF fans as yesterday.  If it is then I say to Doug Woolard, sign the contract for a 2n1 with an option for UCF to get a an 1n1 contract with them having the first home if they can garner 2 wins in 7 tries.  Maybe that's harsh but so be it.

Look at some in-state rivals like Colorado-Colorado State, one team is BCS (the Buffs - Big 12) and the other isn't (the Rams - Mtn. West).  I have a feeling that since this game was a bit more competitive than last seasons game, that ths will be leverage to continue the series.  Give it time, and a heated rivalry like FSU-UF, OSU-Michigan, and Texas-Oklahoma will eventually arise.

Guest patjulmiste

it would be foolish and selfish not to play this game every year.  one thing that people who are anti-usf/ucf annually cannot dispute is that we cant have every nonconference game be a BCS game.  of our out-of-conference non/BCS matchups, UCF is as good as it gets in terms of pulling fans, media interest, and exposure to recruits.  we gotta keep this game, let's not get too snobbish.  this game proves that we may be ahead of UCF, but we arent light years ahead of UCF (and the recruits we fight over, for that matter)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

The WVU-Marshall set-up is the way to go IF this goes past 2008 ...... The thread title "Those who want UCF series are shortsighted" says it perfectly. I hope that the athletic administration sticks to what THEY think is the best scenario for our football program not what the media or fans think. As doug said, maybe that's harsh but so be it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Give it time, and a heated rivalry like FSU-UF, OSU-Michigan, and Texas-Oklahoma will eventually arise.

Do I need to point out what all those rivalries have in common that our supposed one doesn't?

Guest R_to_the_izzo

The point is you can't force it. UCF fans have been forcing this to be a rival since we got football. The media has been forcing us to be rivals since the game(s) were signed.

I do however, feel that if we wan't to aspire to be in the "Big 4" that these first 4 games are great for us. It looks like we can easily go 4-0 now that we beat them while we were at our lowest. But if we do go 4-0, what do we have to gain? Rivalries arent supposed to be one sided.

I think if we sweep them or go 3-1, we should  offer them a 2-1, set up something were we play ever 3-4 years.  Once the media outside of FL accepts the fact that USF>UCF there is no need to play this game every year. Unless of course we wanna stay stuck on this level just below FSU/UM/UF

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

It still comes down to money.  If we can play most of our non Conf. as 1 for 0's we will make a lot more money for the program a 1 for 1 with UCF will not be as good.

BUT as a fan you gotta want it!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest patjulmiste

even if this game doesnt develop into a rivalry, it's still a good nonconference game to schedule.  remember, not every nonconference game will be against a BCS opponent.  i'd rather have UCF than FAMU/BCC/FIU/FAU