• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Those who want UCF series are shortsighted

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not stating Michigan State. That game isn't very harmful in fact it's a GREAT game to have at RJS.

However, I would argue that Illinois or Indiana (even Kansas) isn't anything that I would say adds anything more than UCF...if I had the choice I'd take the BCS team...however there is room for both. That's my point.

I would disagree, the're not great teams but they are from respected conferences and the're something different. If we played them regularly I'd agree but I think bringing in a team with a name that people know that hasn't been here before generates some interest. UCF after a couple times I doubt would have any interest at all aside from a few people that have freinds at the other school. In other words it's the novelty factor, once is interesting but after a while if the team sucks people lose interest.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bullheaded,

You're contradicting yourself here. First, why play Memphis or some other high tier non BCS team instead of UCF? UCF economically will kill those games. I'd say UCF is an upper tier non-BCS team, not because they're a great team, but they are a heavily covered team.

Second, the reason I don't think playing a Ball State on the road is replacing the 2 "warmup" games is because IT'S on THE ROAD. No one plays warmup games on the road, you play warmup games in a comfortable environment so you're team can work on their game without a lot of pressure and adverse fans.

If you don't want to play UCF come out and say I don't want to play UCF because I don't want to have to deal with their fans. You've had like seven different reasons and they've all contradicted.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I would disagree, the're not great teams but they are from respected conferences and the're something different. If we played them regularly I'd agree but I think bringing in a team with a name that people know that hasn't been here before generates some interest. UCF after a couple times I doubt would have any interest at all aside from a few people that have freinds at the other school. In other words it's the novelty factor, once is interesting but after a while if the team sucks people lose interest.

You're basing this on...

Indiana is a name...for basketball. It will not outdraw UCF on a name basis, sorry. There might be some superceding circumstances that make the game better attended. However, ask theaverage fan what game they'd think they'd more likely attend...I'm almost positive UCF would win.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Here is how I see it,

replaced our conference from cusa to big east = big upgreade

replacing UCF (considered big OOC game) with some of the middle/low tier BCS teams = slight upgrade

replacing McNeese st, FIU (and whatever other tuneup games we've had) wiith the buffalo's and ball state's = about the same

I agree that the tuneups could be against better teams but from what I saw the past couple weeks they are about right at this point. Hopefully as time goes on we'll see enough improvement that we can bump this all down a notch so the buffallos completely drop off and the better non bcs/lower tier bcs can become tuneups but I think it's obvious were not at that point yet.

That said, I don't think the game against UCF has ever been considered a tuneup game.

The problem is that we still have I-AA games on the schedule.  We're not replacing McNeese State with Ball State ... that makes sense.  We're not replacing UCF with middle/low tier BCS teams ... that makes sense.  We're replacing UCF with Ball State ... that doesn't make sense.

[highlight]So, since we will be playing TWO GAMES against mid-majors every year, do you want them to be Buffalo, Ball State or UCF?[/highlight]

Doesn't seem to be shortsighted to me to play the game.  We still have the chance to play the big name programs.

you are missing the point.  Buffalo & Ball St are [highlight]NOT[/highlight] annual series.  We did [highlight]NOT[/highlight] replace an annual series with ucf, we simply are moving on from ucf to Buffalo, who in turn we will move on to the next, etc, etc, etc.  Get it now?

There's lots of programs out there we haven't even played yet.

USF has no annual series with anyone, so I am not trying to argue about that.

[highlight]UCF is being replaced by teams of lesser quality[/highlight] - and just about everyone here seems to think that is perfectly acceptible.  If the plan is to make our team better, then why even bother talking to Buffalo or Ball State?

So I still don't get it.  Not trying to be obtuse - but we're not talking about scrapping UCF to play home and home series against upper-level mid-major teams... that is why I have a problem here.

But that's my point.  ucf [highlight]IS NOT[/highlight] being replaced, just like we didn't replace FAMU, Penn St, Oklahoma, Nichols St, etc.  We are simply moving on.  We've played ucf, now we will play someone else, then someone else, and so on and so on, etc, etc, etc.

Will we ever play ucf again?  Maybe, but it doesn't have to be EVERY year.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

WHY WOULD USF GET RID OF A GAME THAT GIVES THEM THEIR BIGGEST DRAW?

TO SUGGEST IT IS STUPID

TO SUGGEST IT IS STUPID

Actually if (and I know this year that's a big if) we beat them badly year in year out, it won't be a big draw as it will become boring.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

TO SUGGEST IT IS STUPID

Actually if (and I know this year that's a big if) we beat them badly year in year out, it won't be a big draw as it will become boring.

yeah but you cant Assume that we will. If it plays out that we stomp them tomarrow and 2 more times then that arguement can be used.  If we did indeed sweep the series in convincing fashion then yes drop it we have nothing to gain from it, but if the series is a split or 3-1 and all the games are close this could turn out to be a bitter rival for a long time to come.  Both programs are going to grow,  its hard not to get better at football in this state its a matter of is there huge gap between the programs, if not it should stay as it will be a good draw as long as its competitive and would be even more with some controversy.    

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

...If it plays out that we stomp them tomarrow and 2 more times then that arguement can be used.  If we did indeed sweep the series in convincing fashion then yes drop it we have nothing to gain from it...  

So what we are doing is right...playing out a four game series and promising nothing further beyond that.  We're in agreement.

TO SUGGEST IT IS STUPID

Actually [highlight]if (and I know this year that's a big if) we beat them badly year in year out,[/highlight] it won't be a big draw as it will become boring.

[highlight]yeah but you cant Assume that we will.[/highlight] If it plays out that we stomp them tomarrow and 2 more times then that arguement can be used.  If we did indeed sweep the series in convincing fashion then yes drop it we have nothing to gain from it, but if the series is a split or 3-1 and all the games are close this could turn out to be a bitter rival for a long time to come.  Both programs are going to grow,  its hard not to get better at football in this state its a matter of is there huge gap between the programs, if not it should stay as it will be a good draw as long as its competitive and would be even more with some controversy.    

Kinda why I said [highlight]if[/highlight]

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

You're basing this on...

Indiana is a name...for basketball. It will not outdraw UCF on a name basis, sorry. There might be some superceding circumstances that make the game better attended. However, ask theaverage fan what game they'd think they'd more likely attend...I'm almost positive UCF would win.

Your missing my point, what I'm saying is that for whatever reason people have heard of them and it could generate some interest to the general fan in the area. None of these teams will be sellouts but they'll be decent crowds. On the flip side your basing your projections on the first game which was a big novelty and ignoring the fact that we couldn't even sell the small allotment of 5k tickets and had to practically give tickets away for students. I think interest in this game will dwindle over time.