• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Very Cool Story from Halftime...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

We sit in 119, right by the entrance to the field where the players come out, so sometimes we get to hear things as the coaches and players prepare to come out of the tunnel.  Last night, I saw something that really impressed me.

Down at the half, the players come out and start to gather around the opening, ready to hit the field.  Leavitt is fuming... I mean, he's really fired up.  No blood gushing from his head this time, but he's trembling, smacking players in the helmet, only he's not smacking them, he's laying almost open handed roundhouses to the helmets trying to wake these guys up.  He's yelling (of course) trying to get a fire lit under these guys asses, but his voice is almost totally shot... I'm maybe 8 feet away from him and I can barely hear him.

So Leavitt wants the guys to huddle up for the unity chant... "What time is it?  BULL TIME!"  He's at the front of the tunnel screaming "Grab my hands!  Grab my hands!" trying to call the guys together, but with the crowd noise, etc., the guys can't hear him.  Frustrated, he lets out this primal scream.... "Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggh!"  Still nothing.  You can see that the lack of his voice and the situation he's in has really frustrated him.

Then, something cool happened.  Taurus Johnson, #89, stepped up to the front of the pack and protectively, gently, pushed Leavitt back a bit, taking over.  Leavitt let him, still staying in the pack, though, just off to the side.  I'm watching this, fascinated.  Johnson yells somethign to the effect of "HEY, LISTEN UP!" and all eyes are on him.  

"We ain't gonna take this **** **** from anybody in our house!" he starts out, and lays into the guys for like 15 seconds using mainly language I can't use here, doing what Leavitt wanted to do but can't.  Every single player is now in the huddle and focused.  Grabbing the face mask of another player (Hess, I believe), he screams "WHAT TIME IS IT?"  In unison, the call back - "BULLS TIME!"

"WHAT TIME IS IT?"

"BULLS TIME!!"

And they were off, rushing out onto the field.

I just thought it was really cool that Taurus recognized the need for someone to step up and pull the guys together when Leavitt wasn't able to.  Definitely not the kind of thing I expected out of a sophomore.  I don't think it's a coincidence that he played on another level in the 2nd half.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

We sit in 119, right by the entrance to the field where the players come out, so sometimes we get to hear things as the coaches and players prepare to come out of the tunnel.  Last night, I saw something that really impressed me.

Down at the half, the players come out and start to gather around the opening, ready to hit the field.  Leavitt is fuming... I mean, he's really fired up.  No blood gushing from his head this time, but he's trembling, smacking players in the helmet, only he's not smacking them, he's laying almost open handed roundhouses to the helmets trying to wake these guys up.  He's yelling (of course) trying to get a fire lit under these guys asses, but his voice is almost totally shot... I'm maybe 8 feet away from him and I can barely hear him.

So Leavitt wants the guys to huddle up for the unity chant... "What time is it?  BULL TIME!"  He's at the front of the tunnel screaming "Grab my hands!  Grab my hands!" trying to call the guys together, but with the crowd noise, etc., the guys can't hear him.  Frustrated, he lets out this primal scream.... "Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggh!"  Still nothing.  You can see that the lack of his voice and the situation he's in has really frustrated him.

Then, something cool happened.  Taurus Johnson, #89, stepped up to the front of the pack and protectively, gently, pushed Leavitt back a bit, taking over.  Leavitt let him, still staying in the pack, though, just off to the side.  I'm watching this, fascinated.  Johnson yells somethign to the effect of "HEY, LISTEN UP!" and all eyes are on him.  

"We ain't gonna take this **** **** from anybody in our house!" he starts out, and lays into the guys for like 15 seconds using mainly language I can't use here, doing what Leavitt wanted to do but can't.  Every single player is now in the huddle and focused.  Grabbing the face mask of another player (Hess, I believe), he screams "WHAT TIME IS IT?"  In unison, the call back - "BULLS TIME!"

"WHAT TIME IS IT?"

"BULLS TIME!!"

And they were off, rushing out onto the field.

I just thought it was really cool that Taurus recognized the need for someone to step up and pull the guys together when Leavitt wasn't able to.  Definitely not the kind of thing I expected out of a sophomore.  I don't think it's a coincidence that he played on another level in the 2nd half.

GREAT story....and not one gratuitous mention of three players being suspended ;^)

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

well it wasnt from the media, it was just a story the board member was sharing.  or else there may of been mention of suspended players

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

nice story kei, thats really cool.  but on another note, aren't you skipping games?  i thought we play ucf this weekend, not kansas?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Great story! Player leadership is one of the many things i feel we are lacking.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

That is a great story to hear. Thanks for sharing that with us.  Taurus the Bull Johnson had a hell of a second half. I really hope the whole team gets it all together for next week.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

The post game interview of Taurus Johnson and he just sounds like a kid that's ready for the limelight.  Well spoken, confident yet not cocky, and very cordial and inviting.  I heard that and after the game he had I turned to the guy I was driving home with and said I think this guy is going to be big time.  You could tell he wants to take a leadership role, and wants the pressure.

Before his TD catch he told the media that he told Grothe in the huddle he wanted the ball and that they were cheating.  He wanted it, he wanted to make a play.  I think last night we saw Taurus' coming out party.  I expect the next few years his name will be called a lot, and he will continually rise to the occasion.  At 6-1, 190lbs, with 4.4 and better speed he certainly has the tools.  ****, I still can't believe that run on the end around.  He was dead to rights behind the LOS against a certain NFL draft pick this year in Antwan Barnes, spun him off like a tackling dummy.  That play might hurt Barnes' draft status this year.

Seems Mr. Barnes, who had 12 sacks last year and 4 last week learned what a real OL is like.  ZERO SACKS!

Great story KEI, it's good to hear that the interview was the real Taurus and this kid is taking the Bull by the horns.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

well it wasnt from the media, it was just a story the board member was sharing.  or else there may of been mention of suspended players

On offense for sure.  However, I think with the return of Thed Watson healthy, Chambers back, the emergence of Grothe, and now the emergence of Taurus we could be seeing leadership developing on that side of the ball before our eyes.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

nice story kei, thats really cool.  but on another note, aren't you skipping games?  i thought we play ucf this weekend, not kansas?

hints the ucf who