• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Playcalling....and coaching.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

My problem is this. Since when in D 1 football do players call the plays? Before the last TD, T Rob tells the OC to call his play because he is open against the coverage. Isn't that the job of the OC to see if plays are open against teams? Isn't it the job of the OC and his staff to watch for coverage, to see what areas are open? If he continues to run Grothe against some of the Big Boys, he is going to be hurt and then where will we be. Grothe is not a full time RB, he is our QB!!! Sorry Rod, but you have got to change it up and be aware of what is happening. If your staff can't do it,  SEE YA!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Grothe is a Spread/Running QB he ran this type of offense in high school and without his running we would have probably lost...

So, stay off Rod's back.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

you are reiterating problems usf has had for years

Yeah, seems to me smazza & I have been saying this for the last few years, and everyone else wanted to jump all over us whenever we said something.

Welcome to the party...

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Do people say the same thing about Pat White??  Don't run the ball Pat.  Gimme a break.  Its the same system people.........

Guest wildrover
Grothe is a Spread/Running QB he ran this type of offense in high school and without his running we would have probably lost...

So, stay off Rod's back.

No one can tell me Rod called a good game.  We looked really really bad last night and are lucky to of won.  I personally put a lot if not most of the issues on the coaching staff.  We are still battling penalty problem which has been there ever since I started watching this team.  The players don't look in synch, that is a coaching problem and the play calling?  All kinds of questions marks there.

We barely beat one of the worst teams in D-1A football.  Has anybody thougt about that?  We struggled against a D-AA and barely beat one of the worst in 1-A.  I'm sorry, but this team has so many things that it needs fixed and I don't think it will happen by next week.  Mainly because these problems look like the same problems we've been battling ever since Rod took the helm at OC.  We have a better QB but a nicer engine in a Pinto won't keep the gas tank from blowing up.  In the end, nicer engine or not, its still a Pinto.    

If you are being at all objective, there is no way you can predict a win next week.  We don't play well on the road, UCF wants this game really bad and they are much much better than the two would be cupcakes we have already faced (and had a hard time with) at home.  

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Wildrover, I tend to agree with most of what you're saying, but UCF hasn't shown much either.  They beat Villanova last week, but were outgained in total yardage.  That being said, I'm leaning toward UCF sadly........

So, stay off Rod's back.

No one can tell me Rod called a good game.  We looked really really bad last night and are lucky to of won.  I personally put a lot if not most of the issues on the coaching staff.  We are still battling penalty problem which has been there ever since I started watching this team.  The players don't look in synch, that is a coaching problem and the play calling?  All kinds of questions marks there.

We barely beat one of the worst teams in D-1A football.  Has anybody thougt about that?  We struggled against a D-AA and barely beat one of the worst in 1-A.  I'm sorry, but this team has so many things that it needs fixed and I don't think it will happen by next week.  Mainly because these problems look like the same problems we've been battling ever since Rod took the helm at OC.  We have a better QB but a nicer engine in a Pinto won't keep the gas tank from blowing up.  In the end, nicer engine or not, its still a Pinto.    

If you are being at all objective, there is no way you can predict a win next week.  We don't play well on the road, UCF wants this game really bad and they are much much better than the two would be cupcakes we have already faced (and had a hard time with) at home.  

Rover, I'm not saying Rod called a great game.

However, look at the situation. 3rd String running back. New Oline. Young QB (you can't just open the whole playbook for him yet).

I knew this would happen after last week's Grothe hype. Everyone was on the this kid is the next GREAT QB bandwagon and didn't take into consideration:

1) It was a TIRED McNeese State defense that he torched.

2) He's a Redshirt Freshman, most struggle.

3) The Oline isn't very good

I said it last week, the second this kid has a subpar game everyone is gonna jump of Rod Smith for obviously calling a bad game. Listen I believe Grothe is going to be very good. However, he's a redshirt Freshman, and unless you're a blue chip QB you cannot expect him to pick up the game. Look at Weatherford at FSU last year, look at Leak as a frosh at UF, they struggled!

I just felt that too many hyped the living $hit out of this kid after one game against a very subpar opponent. I think people need to take that into consideration before ripping teh coaching staff and the deck of cards they have in front of them right now.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Joe, when has Rod Smith EVER called a good game?

Wait, there was 1: Louisville, last year.

The only one jumping on Grothe is you.

I'm not jumping on Grothe! I'm jumping on the fact that this kid is gonna struggle and make mistakes BECAUSE HE IS A REDSHIRT FRESHMAN and most don't/won't accept that. Instead they'd like to pin it on our offensive coordinator.

I'll bring the posts out from last week. I believe my exact words were "The second he struggles everyone on this board will jump on Rod."

Guest wildrover

I think the coaching staff deserves a little critcism.  We keep seeing the same issues time and time again, what we saw last night wasn't new.  The play calling was suspect at best, its been said here before but you just can't throw the ball every single play, I'm thinking of a third and three deep inside FIU's terrority, why not run the QB option if you have no faith in your RB's instead of throwing whatever slant pattern that didn't work?  But thats just the play calling, why is this team so undisciplined?  Why are there so many off the field problems?  Why are there still so many penalities?  Why did our D not look ready for this game?  why are special teams so full of issues?  These are all coaching issues.

Rod Smith is not a good OC we saw that last year not just last night.  Last night was just evidence to support what many have already been saying, Private Pyle can't develop talent and is bad at calling a game.