• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe

Guest R_to_the_izzo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe will struggle, but he is already better than PJ! Give this kid time and he will develop into a servicable quarterback...

Yes the play calling doesn't help him out...don't get me started on Rod! How he has managed to keep his job is amazing.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Look Northwest lost to NH.  Troy St. almost trlipped FSU.  Syracuse almost took out No. 14 Iowa in OT.  Akron beat NCST.  If this team is 0.500 the rest of the way it finishes w/7 wins - UCF, Kansas or NC, UC, Syracuse, UCONN and they could clip Pitt or Rutgers IMO.

Guest BasketBull.

Here's what I think happened.

This staff phoned it in. They thought they could run all over FIU and then that would open up for some easy passes.

Credit FIU, they shut everything on the ground down.

Matt was forced to throw some stuff that they were not prepared to do, probably didn't practice much of anything down the field. They were probably trying to hide their game plan for the Gnats.

Well, SURPRISE! FIU came to play.

Defensively, our boys were too cocky for their own good and that was why they couldn't stop the pass. They got very lucky!

I lost a lot of respect for this team: they will have to earn it back again.  >:(

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  50

All of those teams, excpet for FSU, are traditional bottom-feeders in their league. Is that what we are because we got lucky against FIU?

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

All of those teams, excpet for FSU, are traditional bottom-feeders in their league. Is that what we are because we got lucky against FIU?

Iowa has been goo the last 5 years?

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Please don't start with the Rod Smith crap. Smith doesn't call plays designed for an innterception or a fumble. It's going to be a growing process with Matt this year so just get used to it and don't blame everything on Smith ....

Oh I'm sorry, I thought Rod had called the throw it to the other team play there.  That must explain the ridiculous jump the DB got on that route.

Let it go.

I don't know what you're getting at here.  R to the Izo is ripping MG on this thread and I'm sticking up for his play.

So I guess I need to ask who you would have prefered to have in there at the end of the game?  Which of the QB's give us the best chance to win?

INT was the OC's fault for calling that play.  Terrible call for a frosh QB deep in his on territory.  The WRs dropped at least 3 maybe 4 passes that should have converted 3rd down.  USF needs an OC and now!  Grothe is a freshman.  He'll only get better.  Blackwell had a few nites like this too.  Our Bulls werre looking past FIU to UCF.  T.Johnson statem't on the radio was about UCF not the FIU game.  I am concerned but not w/MG.  I'm concerned about the OL and Ponton needs to get back next week.

While I am not disagreeing with you... I am fairly certain that the INT returned for a TD was actually an audbile by MG.  It appeared that he checked off to that play from something else the OC called... if there is a replay, I will double check that for sure.

Regardless of whether it was called by Rod or MG audibled the result was due to the fact FIU had seen the same play a bunch of times.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

Oh I'm sorry, I thought Rod had called the throw it to the other team play there.  That must explain the ridiculous jump the DB got on that route.

The jump was because Matt never took his eyes off him ...... he will learn.

I don't know what you're getting at here.  R to the Izo is ripping MG on this thread and I'm sticking up for his play.

Good point. I was wrong, then. If somebody's ripping Matt I guess you have to assume he's wanting PJ in there. I thought you were just ripping PJ for the heck of it ...

So I guess I need to ask who you would have prefered to have in there at the end of the game?  Which of the QB's give us the best chance to win?

I want the qb in there that got us into that mess..... and he came through with flying colors.

The jump was because Matt never took his eyes off him ...... he will learn..

I'm not saying it was not MG's fault.  Just saying that the play call didn't help him in that spot.

Now how about a pump fake and a go route next time... ;)

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

The bottom line is that Matt Grothe ISNT OUR BACKUP. He is our starter. P.J. is the BACKUP.  Julmiste gives us a better chance to win than PJ. So when people say I'll take Grothe and some losses this year you cannot compare that to pulling all of our seniors. Grothe will make some mistakes, yes. But Grothe and mistakes is still a better chance to win EVERY game this year than P.J.

Pat is a GREAT KID but he is not the starting QB of this program. Period.