• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should Math GrothE start vs FIU?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Jim, I agree with so many of your points.....up to actually starting PJ. True, PJ played pretty well the other night, and I REALLY wanted him to succeed as our QB given his character and heart however it's pretty obvious he is never going to be the consistent qb we need. If he is the starter this year I believe he'll have a few great games, and of course he'll have alot of really bad games. But to boil it all down, if Grothe is the qb of the future then let's get him in now and not waste a year of experience. I think this is especially important during the tuneup games.

Besides I'm more concerned that Smith will screw this kid up more than getting into games so early will. Somehow I can't help but think that PJ (and Banks) would have been at least a decent qb with the proper guidance, unfortunately it's too late to fix that now for PJ and hopefully Smith has learned enough over the past few years not to screw up a 3rd qb.

Broken record but play whoever gives us the best chance to win THIS year. I liked what I saw in MG on Saturday but do realize that the big plays came late in the game against an outmanned 1-aa team. One thing that Matt does better, IMO, is improvise when the protection breaks down which may be a plus when we start playing teams that have 4 #93's across the front line.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

IS THIS a trick question?

is this a joke?

it is a no brainer

grotheee

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

... if Grothe is the qb of the future then let's get him in now and not waste a year of experience ...

See also: Leaf, Ryan.

I know, that was the NFL and this is college... but the comparison is fair.  Take a kid who may or may not be ready for I-A, BCS level competiton and throw him to the wolves.  Sure, he was GREAT in high school, and he looked good against I-AA McNeese state... but is he really ready for prime time??

Could it be that the fans' demand for a change in the QB position is masking the reality that MG has played zero games against BCS-level competition, while PJ has played two seasons worth ??

I LOVE the fact that MG will be our QB for three more years... but I want to make sure he plays when he's ready.  If we demand he be thrown into the deep end, and he suffers, it could be a blow to his confidence... which could affect the future of the team.

Only time will tell.

ryan leaf  was a great college qb

grotheee is a college qb

what is the point?

chargers gave leaf millions in bonus money taking away his incentive

leaf was a a$$hole

grotheee seems like a hard working kid

grotheee needs to usf's qb

oif leavitt starts pj he will confirm my believe he doesnt know whAT HE IS DOING

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

... if Grothe is the qb of the future then let's get him in now and not waste a year of experience ...

See also: Leaf, Ryan.

I know, that was the NFL and this is college... but the comparison is fair.  Take a kid who may or may not be ready for I-A, BCS level competiton and throw him to the wolves.  Sure, he was GREAT in high school, and he looked good against I-AA McNeese state... but is he really ready for prime time??

Could it be that the fans' demand for a change in the QB position is masking the reality that MG has played zero games against BCS-level competition, while PJ has played two seasons worth ??

I LOVE the fact that MG will be our QB for three more years... but I want to make sure he plays when he's ready.  If we demand he be thrown into the deep end, and he suffers, it could be a blow to his confidence... which could affect the future of the team.

Only time will tell.

this will always be the case until he actually IS playing in a game. Unlike Leaf, Grothe actually has one year on this team working on the system and practicing with the players. I also think for every leaf example there is a leak example. I think you have to evaluate that on an individual basis and can't just say that playing early will screw a kid up. IMO we should put him in and if it is an issue we can always fall back on PJ, much better than just assuming it will be a problem and not do anything to improve a position that has been so obviously costing us games the past 4 years.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

If PJ was a better player, then I would say put MG in now and then for experience and to get better for the starting job next year.  However, it is clear as day that MG is the better QB, so why even have this debate.  PJ has had 4 years to improve.   Time to move on.  Play the better qb, regardless of how much experience he has.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

There's only one way to get experience that I know of.  Play.

But if we do have to play PJ to ease Matt in, then the first quarter should go to Matt and the second to PJ.  Matt earned it.  PJ has had enough time to improve.  He is a known quantity and cannot take us to where we need to go.  If Matt lives up to his potential and does not get injured, he could lead us to the next level.  Just don't turn on him when, occasionally, his youth and inexperience shows.  Hell, at least with Grothe I can attribute mistakes to youth and inexperience.  To what should I attribute PJ's mistakes?  Bad OC coaching?  I am tired of making excuses for him.  I am ready for this team to move up.  As I see it, we only have one quarterback who can do that for us.  I am squarely behind him.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I don't agree with you guys about Grothe being "clearly" better than PJ. PJ played decent in his limited time (aside from the int) and I believe that his stats would have been very similar to Grothe's if he had played the same amount of time. Unfortunately an injury hampered that.

If Grothe was clearly better there would have not been a controversy coming out of 2 a days and practice.

Please quit throwing so much into ONE game against a D-IAA team when most of his stats game in the last 1 1/2 quarters when their defense was gassed. Grothe is good and showed signs of being very good, but you have to remeber who he was against.

Both need to play equal amounts next game and get the same opportunities as this game will be a better determination of how these guys can perform. This QB controversy is far from being decided in my book.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Julmiste has already proven he can not get it done. Grothe is better. More accurate, more touch, more elusive, more exciting. The players know it, I know it, and anyone who watched the game know it.    

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I thought Julmiste was pretty exciting against a great Penn State defense last year. I mean he was accurate, nice touch, pretty elusive, kinda exciting.

But one game never tells the story...

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Julmiste has already proven he can not get it done. Grothe is better. More accurate, more touch, more elusive, more exciting. The players know it, I know it, and anyone who watched the game know it.    

actually to be fair I'd say he is potentially more accurate, elusive and exciting. However, that potential is what we need to develop.