• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should Math GrothE start vs FIU?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know... PJ was the victim of some penalty problems... two Jared Carnes holding calls in a row... as well as only playing for 17 minutes... give him another half to see what he can do - then re-evaluate for the UCF game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't know... PJ was the victim of some penalty problems... two Jared Carnes holding calls in a row... as well as only playing for 17 minutes... give him another half to see what he can do - then re-evaluate for the UCF game.

Couldnt disagree more here.  These two games are tune ups where you want your offense to come together in real game situations against someone besides their teammates.  Grothe is also young and needs as much experience as he can get before we get into the meat of our schedule.  If you think Grothe is going to be the starter of the future hear it has to be time to turn the page on the Julmiste era.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

GrothEEEEEE !

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Without a doubt, Grothe should start.  How many chances does PJ need????????

Couldnt disagree more here.  These two games are tune ups where you want your offense to come together in real game situations against someone besides their teammates.  Grothe is also young and needs as much experience as he can get before we get into the meat of our schedule.  If you think Grothe is going to be the starter of the future hear it has to be time to turn the page on the Julmiste era.

See, and I see things differently.  I see Grothe as the QB of the future... but this season is about easing him in to the college game a little at a time... with Julmiste getting most of the snaps and game action (think what Lousiville did with LeFors and Brohm last year).  That way, Grothe doesn't have all the pressure on his shoulders this season, but gets some great experience he can use for his last three years.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

On one hand, I agree with Jim.  I think that if PJ can play consistently, then Matt can get some good experience this year in a backup role.  However, that requires PJ to play consistently, which he hasn't done in the past.  Due to that, I'm all for having Matt start this week.

Competition for the position is good for the team, so I'd be okay with PJ playing in the second half.  In fact, I'd be okay with having them continue to compete for the position all the way up until BE conference play starts.  But, if one of them clearly outperforms in similar circumstances, then the competition should be over.  I didn't see the game, but have seen many posts from people who did watch it that are known for posting realistic assessments.  So, even though Matt really shined in the game, I heard that PJ wasn't too bad either.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

What better way to ease him in but with a 1AA (DONE) and the a lower level 1A ... before a road game against a similar team ...

Starting him is the right choice!

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree with Jim.

However, I am not upset if Grothe starts he played wel Saturday and needs the expirience.

I also think that had PJ been in instead of Grothe the game would have been the exact same way and his stats would have been similar.

On one hand, I agree with Jim.  I think that if PJ can play consistently, then Matt can get some good experience this year in a backup role.  However, that requires PJ to play consistently, which he hasn't done in the past.  Due to that, I'm all for having Matt start this week.

Competition for the position is good for the team, so I'd be okay with PJ playing in the second half.  In fact, I'd be okay with having them continue to compete for the position all the way up until BE conference play starts.  But, if one of them clearly outperforms in similar circumstances, then the competition should be over.  I didn't see the game, but have seen many posts from people who did watch it that are known for posting realistic assessments.  So, even though Matt really shined in the game, I heard that PJ wasn't too bad either.

Now this is something I would support 100%.  

I think part of PJ's problem was that he was thrown in a bit too early in his college career because Banks had problems.  If PJ can at least be like Trent Dilfer for the Bucs -- play steady but not outstanding -- then MG might be able to get some great experience... but if the PJ of 2004 or 2005 returns, then I see no reason to hold off on giving the job to MG for the duration.