• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How good (or bad) is McNeese State?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

In defense of I-AA, I do not think McNeese has a playoff caliber team at this time.  Yes, the score was close for three quarters, but it wasn't because USF wasn't able to move the ball at will as long as it didn't stop itself with mistakes.  That was the worst performance, in terms of moving the ball and stopping the opponent, that McNeese has had against a BCS league opponent to date.  And the Cowboys did play Miami's 2000 national championship contender as well as Kansas State's 2003 Big 12 champion.

Below is something I posted on the McNeese board.  As a McNeese fan, I was trying to get some indication out of last night's game as to where McNeese might stack up within its own division.  I hope you will not be offended by my assumption that USF is in the average range of BCS league teams.  That's what most people appear to think and what the power ratings say.

"Just to kind of put things into the context of what one should expect from a I-AA team playing a BCS, I looked at all the games this past weekend between I-AAs and BCS squads in terms of how I-AAs did in terms of gaining yards and limiting yards gained by BCS teams.

I counted 17 such games.  BCS teams rushed for an average of 188.7 yards against I-AAs.  South Florida rushed for 306 yards against McNeese.

BCS teams gained an average of 389.5 total yards against I-AAs.  South Florida had 512 total yards against McNeese.  

I-AA teams gained an average of 224.4 yards against BCS opponents.  McNeese got 159 total yards against South Florida.

The average "yardage differential" (I-AA total yards minus BCS team total yards) for the games is -165.1.  McNeese's yardage differential vs. South Florida -353.

Nobody could be certain of anything based on such comparisons.  But, look, South Florida is probably about an average BCS league team.   13 of the 17 I-AAs that played BCS squads this past weekend gave up less yardage, 14 of 17 gave up less rushing yardage, and 12 of 17 produced more offensive yards against their BCS league opponents than McNeese did.   I do not, given the assumption that USF is in the average range for BCS league teams, interpret what happened last night as an indication that McNeese is a playoff caliber team right now. "

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that we're a Top 20 defense.  Your low offensive yardage can be direclty attributed to that, because your QB made some good throws and could scramble.

Definitely saw some tackling issues on the McNeese side, particularly late in the game.  They were tired, but they weren't wrapping our boys up when they got a chance to do so.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

I think they'll be fine. Their 1st teamers put up a good fight until they got gassed and didnt want to tackle anyone anymore.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that we're a Top 20 defense.  Your low offensive yardage can be direclty attributed to that, because your QB made some good throws and could scramble.

Definitely saw some tackling issues on the McNeese side, particularly late in the game.  They were tired, but they weren't wrapping our boys up when they got a chance to do so.

That's one thing their fans don't seem to keep in mind.  They see the name and assume we'll be a glorified Southern Piss.

The reality is we've got a top 16 defense- that's in the country, and some explosive athletes that are as good as are on any BCS team in the country.  Teams like MSU get BCS transfers, average players, USF has some stellar players transfer in from BCS programs...Gilliam was a four star CB transfered in from Oregon- blocked one of the punts, Amp Hill a four star receiver, started as a freshman at LSU caught two passes, Cedric Hill a four star TE/WR 3 catches for 69 yards transfered well he was a Miami signee first, Jeremy Burnett transfered from Purdue he was a top player on the west coast of FL in HS...there's lots of top level BCS talent on this team.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

In defense of I-AA, I do not think McNeese has a playoff caliber team at this time.  Yes, the score was close for three quarters, but it wasn't because USF wasn't able to move the ball at will as long as it didn't stop itself with mistakes.  That was the worst performance, in terms of moving the ball and stopping the opponent, that McNeese has had against a BCS league opponent to date.  And the Cowboys did play Miami's 2000 national championship contender as well as Kansas State's 2003 Big 12 champion.

Below is something I posted on the McNeese board.  As a McNeese fan, I was trying to get some indication out of last night's game as to where McNeese might stack up within its own division.  I hope you will not be offended by my assumption that USF is in the average range of BCS league teams.  That's what most people appear to think and what the power ratings say.

"Just to kind of put things into the context of what one should expect from a I-AA team playing a BCS, I looked at all the games this past weekend between I-AAs and BCS squads in terms of how I-AAs did in terms of gaining yards and limiting yards gained by BCS teams.

I counted 17 such games.  BCS teams rushed for an average of 188.7 yards against I-AAs.  South Florida rushed for 306 yards against McNeese.

BCS teams gained an average of 389.5 total yards against I-AAs.  South Florida had 512 total yards against McNeese.  

I-AA teams gained an average of 224.4 yards against BCS opponents.  McNeese got 159 total yards against South Florida.

The average "yardage differential" (I-AA total yards minus BCS team total yards) for the games is -165.1.  McNeese's yardage differential vs. South Florida -353.

Nobody could be certain of anything based on such comparisons.  But, look, South Florida is probably about an average BCS league team.   13 of the 17 I-AAs that played BCS squads this past weekend gave up less yardage, 14 of 17 gave up less rushing yardage, and 12 of 17 produced more offensive yards against their BCS league opponents than McNeese did.   I do not, given the assumption that USF is in the average range for BCS league teams, interpret what happened last night as an indication that McNeese is a playoff caliber team right now. "

Don't forget we scored on the last play of game on that long run.  That kinda skewed the rushing stats a little.  I would have to say that it wasn't so much McNeese stopping us, but we were killing ourselves with mistakes in the first 2 1/2 qtrs  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  48

I'll agree with you that mistakes and penalties stopped you in the first two and a half quarters.  

The holding penalties on the offensive line, for instance.  However, I can tell you from experience that an offensive lineman generally doesn't hold unless he's getting his ass whipped  ;)

The illegal formation penalties were a typical first game penalty, though....

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

The holding penalties on the offensive line, for instance.  However, I can tell you from experience that an offensive lineman generally doesn't hold unless he's getting his ass whipped  ;)

Is this Kenyatta Walker posting?   ;D

Guest R_to_the_izzo

I think on defense, most of the time are end were rushing too far up the field, and gave the Qb's all sorts of lanes to run through. On offense we shot ourselfs in the foot until the 3rd quarter.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

McNeese played with a great deal of emotion and effort. I think they will have a fine season and am not sure you can use those BCS comparisons as a benchmark of what to expect within the 1-AA ranks.