• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIU AT MIDDLE TENNESSEE breakdown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

FIU AT MIDDLE TENNESSEE

Kickoff: 7, Murfreesboro, Tenn.

TV: {tvclr}{tvscr}{tvsrr}. Radio: WKAT (1360-AM).

Record: Season opener for both teams.

Coaches: Don Strock is 15-29 in five seasons at FIU. Rick Stockstill is entering his first season at Middle Tennessee.

Series: FIU leads 1-0.

Injuries: FIU - WR Torrelt Solomon (slight concussion), probable; Middle Tennessee - None reported.

When Middle Tennessee has the ball: With a new coach in place, the Blue Raiders' offense will be different from the one the team used in last season's final game, where FIU defeated MT 35-31. What won't change, though, is who will be running the unit. Quarterback Clint Marks, who has recorded back-to-back 2,000-yard seasons, finished last season as the most accurate passer in the Sun Belt Conference. Marks, who will be starting his 22nd consecutive game, will use a multiple-formation, multiple-scheme attack that will take a wide-open approach under Stockstill.

When FIU has the ball: Early in the game, the question will be whether the offense can mesh. Even though the unit returns the SBC's top-rated passer, Josh Padrick, he will have to lead an offense that will feature four new starting offensive linemen and four true freshmen wide receivers who are expected to get plenty of playing time. Padrick's main targets will include preseason All-Sun Belt selections WR Chandler Williams and TE Samuel Smith. Williams set a team record with 61 receptions last season and Smith was recently recognized by being placed on the watch list for the John Mackey Award, an award given to the most outstanding tight end in Division I-A football.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/other/sfl-fbfiu25aug25,0,1054600.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines-other

FIU's Man in the middle

FIU lost 25 seniors, so talented Bouie helping Panthers bridge gap.

By Patrick Dorsey

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

August 25, 2006

He's the Sun Belt Conference's preseason Defensive Player of the Year, one of 37 players nationwide on the Lombardi Award watch list and set to be one of Florida International's senior leaders.

But what, exactly, does it mean to have middle linebacker Keyonvis Bouie on defense?

"Well, he led the Sun Belt in tackles [last season] and missed two games," FIU coach Don Strock said before bursting into almost giddy laughter. "I mean, he led by a lot and missed two games."

Actually, Bouie's 118 tackles were just five more than North Texas safety Aaron Weathers' total. But forgive Strock for getting excited. In Bouie's nine games, his tackles-per-game average by far was tops in the conference -- and it placed him fourth in the nation.

Not bad for the Pahokee native who had 62 tackles in his first two seasons.

And especially not bad for a player who, at 6 feet and 224 pounds, is built more like a safety than the linebacker corps' big man in the middle.

Strock said his star defender makes up for his physical deficiencies with savvy. He reads blocking schemes and instinctively moves to where the ball carrier is headed.

Bouie also has a knack for making big plays. He intercepted three passes last season (for 48 return yards), blocked a punt that led to a special-teams touchdown against Louisiana Monroe, and made a number of key stops in short-yardage situations.

"He's got great football instincts," Strock said. "You can't teach that."

Those instincts earned Bouie the conference's preseason honor as its top defender. But Bouie said he wants none of that. More on his mind is his team's predicted finish: eighth.

"I'm always grateful for the opportunity to be named something like Defensive Player of the Year," Bouie said. "But I would rather us be No. 1 in the conference and me not have any honors individually."

Then again, Bouie said, maybe the prediction isn't far off, especially with the Golden Panthers losing 25 seniors from last year's team that finished 5-6, 3-4 in conference.

"If I was picking, I probably would've put us last, too," he said. "That's tough to [deal with], especially at a young program, to lose 25 people when most of them were starters, and most of them were key contributors to the team. I mean, it's hard to replace talent like that."

It's also hard to rebuild a program when its five-game, non-conference schedule is composed of a ranked team (at No. 12 Miami) three other 2005 bowl teams (at South Florida, at home against Bowling Green and at Alabama) and another perennial bowl challenger (at Maryland).

So, with one of the nation's toughest non-conference schedules, FIU almost certainly must win the Sun Belt if it wants a bowl bid.

That means the team must come together quickly and forget about the potential blowouts it faces.

And that means Bouie must display more than his football instincts. He has to show his leadership.

To Bouie, this already is happening.

"This year, I think, me as a captain, and some of the other guys," Bouie said, "all of us just took that leadership role and put it on our shoulders to get the guys rallied up.

"Seeing the workouts and seeing the dedication in all the players, especially on defense, I think it's going to turn out to be a great season for us."

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

the game is on here, but i have to head out.  just saw it for a second and they have a HUGE tight end

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

What a low scoring game.  I was rooting for FIU.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Article from the Miami Herald about last night's game:

Posted on Fri, Sep. 01, 2006  

MIDDLE TENNESSEE 7, FIU 6

Golden opportunities missed by FIU

The Golden Panthers scored first, but a missed extra point and a critical penalty wasted a great defensive effort.

BY PETE PELEGRIN

ppelegrin@MiamiHerald.com

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Combine two stout defenses and a newly installed Astroplay surface, and the opener between Florida International and host Middle Tennessee turned into a low-scoring tussle that would be decided by the slightest of errors.

The Golden Panthers made two crucial mistakes and the Blue Raiders avoided any mishaps to escape with a 7-6 victory over FIU at Johnny ''Red'' Floyd Stadium.

(See free link for full article)

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/fiu/15412511.htm

FIU's offense starts off quick, then stalls

By John Callow | Special Correspondent  

Posted September 1, 2006

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. ? A botched extra point and a momentary loss of poise cost Florida International in its Sun Belt Conference opener at Middle Tennessee State University on Thursday night.

Despite coming out second-best in most offensive categories, MTSU came out with a 7-6 win in coach Rick Stockstill's debut with the Blue Raiders.

"That happens in football," FIU coach Don Strock said. "Sometimes you get a lot of yardage, but if the ball doesn't go into the end zone, it doesn't mean that much."

The Golden Panthers returned the opening kickoff 19 yards, then marched 80 yards on 17 plays to go up 6-0. Quarterback Josh Padrick was 6 for 8 in the drive, but the drive was kept alive by an 18-yard pass from Paul McCall, Padrick's backup, to Chandler Williams. McCall was forced into the lineup for three plays when Padrick was shaken up after completing a 3-yard pass to Chandler.  

Chris Patullo missed the point after attempt as he sent it wide right. He also later missed a 41-yard field goal attempt in the third quarter.

Middle Tennessee appeared to tie the game 2:27 into the second period. MTSU gained possession at the FIU 35 after forcing a fumble. Two plays later, Blue Raider quarterback Clint Marks hit Taron Henry in the end zone with an 18-yard pass, but after reviewing the play, the officials overruled their on-field call, wiping out the touchdown. Two plays later, Colby Smith missed a 40-yard field goal attempt.

The Golden Panther defense shut the Blue Raiders down for most of the first half, giving up just four first downs in the first 25 minutes.  

After taking a punt at its own 18, MTSU managed to move the ball to the 34. Antwan Barnes sacked Marks for a 6-yard loss on third-and-9, which should have forced Middle Tennessee to punt the football.

Instead Jonathan Betancourt was whistled for a personal foul, giving the Blue Raiders a first down and 15 yards.

"That was his first time in that situation and his first mistake. It will also be his last mistake like that," Strock said. "I've done the same thing. We talked about it on the sidelines."

Given new life, MTSU went 57 yards on four plays. Eugene Gross, who had been bottled up for one yard on three carries, picked up 46 in his next three carries, including a 33-yard touchdown run with a minute remaining in the half. Smith hit the extra point to give MTSU a 7-6 lead at the half, which held for the game.

Barnes finished the game with four sacks, an FIU record.

And that was it for the scoring.

• 4 weeks later...

0-4

last week FIU lost @ Maryland 14-10

not to bad, but still = 0-4...

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077