• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We are munchkins???   Whats up Doc?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a little late considering this thread has taken a turn for one of your posters being "the I'm too cool to be on a message board, but I'm on it anyway" but, what do you want a cookie?

USF beat Louisville (which I'm sure you guys will stick onto that for about 6 more years), Florida A&M, UCF, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Cincinnati.  I'm not speaking as a I-AA fan anymore. I'll go ahead and speak as an LSU fan now.  I just want to know where the hell USF has any room to talk about being a "great program" that can compete MAJOR BCS Conferences.  Louisville and West Virginia are the only teams in that conference that can actually say they are a dangerous team.  West Virginia took it to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.  Props to them.  

Normally quotation marks are reserved for direct quotes, not one's personal intereptation on what they really meant.  I never said I was "too cool" for this board.  I said that i come on here in my spare time and when I'm on here I do not feel the need to flex my vocabulary to try to impress people.  i type just as i would talk to someone if I was at a sports bar talking sports.  Now when I'm in a board room discussing business that is a different story.

As for the whole Louisville thing....we beat them twice in 3 years.  We bring up last year because it was last year, and it was a great performance...they were a top 10 team and we beat them up and down the field.  I recall one of your fans bringing up a texas a&m game from like 3 or 4 years ago.  In 6 years we will be sticking to our Big east championship that we will probably have won by then.  You are quick to jump into your LSU hat but I'm sure there are countless Bulls fans that could very easily put on FSU, Gator, or Miami hats since our program has only been around for 10 years most were rooting for one of these schools at some point in the 90s and maybe further on.  I still root for FSU unless its in USF's best interest for FSU to lose (can't think of a situation were that would be the case, not even for recruiting because there is clearly enough talent to go around).  

The mcneese st fans that have posted on this have become annoying with their whole role they are playing by saying you guys are just a poor little 1-aa and USF thinks we are a national powerhouse.  None of our fans think we are on the same level of a west virigina, notre dame, miami, fsu, even louisville....however, the gap between us and them is nothing compared to gap between USF and mcneese st.  our atheletes can compete with those from the elite schools, we usually just run into trouble so far with inexperience in big games and depth.  when our guys are all on the same page we can compete with those guys.  that is the feelings of most of our fans.  I dont pretend to have green and gold glasses that show us winning the big east this year but there is no way we lose to mcnesse st.  mcnesse st just needs to take advantage of the opportunity of playing USF and help them focus more on their competitiopn.  obviously for the division that mcnesse st is in they have a pretty good squad.  good luck on your season but saturday night is going to be a long night for you guys.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  140

obviously for the division that mcnesse st is in they have a pretty good squad

Hey, we are in the same Division as you guys.  Division I.    The subdivisions are different.   Get the terminology right.

Doc

professor_irwin_corey.jpg

"HOWEVER... The Bulls are just a warm-up for the stiffer competition encountered in our conference games."

I'm throwing a flag on this one.   That quotation is taken out of context.  Jay was referring to his messageboard smack talking not the play of the teams.

Doc

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

I'm throwing a flag on this one.   That quotation is taken out of context.  Jay was referring to his messageboard smack talking not the play of the teams.

Doc

Ha ha.  You don't need to be defensive.  You guys are more loquacious than the Nicholls State bunch we entertained a couple of years ago.  Are they your biggest rivals?  They were pretty good.  We let them have some fun before we put them away.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Why South Florida might win: Defense.  McNeese State was downright dreadful on offense in 2005, and they won’t get any confidence boosts in Tampa.  The Bulls are fast, physical and coming off a season in which they were ranked No. 17 defensively in the country.  Unless it comes on defense or special teams, the Cowboys won’t reach the end zone Saturday night.

I expect our BULLS D to outscore their O ...

Go BULLS !!!

Doc

Ha ha.  You don't need to be defensive.  You guys are more loquacious than the Nicholls State bunch we entertained a couple of years ago.  Are they your biggest rivals?  They were pretty good.  We let them have some fun before we put them away.

No, our bitterest rival hasn't played us since the 1980's.   And that is USL, ULL, or whatever the L they call themselves this week.   And I'm talking bitter rivalry.   We used to play them the last game of the season and after the first game and each succeeding game the "Go to Hell, USL, Go to Hell " cheers would start up.   It made the list of most bitterest rivalries in football in Playboy Magaizine back in the 1970's.

Of course, they have finally scheduled us for 2007, so some time next summer I expect things to really start getting nasty on both our messageboards.  It started to get nasty right after the scheduling of the game was announced but as this season came around it died down.   But it will intensify after this season is over and next season gets closer.

Nicholls is been more like a gnat that has buzzed around and bugged us and occassionally bit us in the ass.  

Doc

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

Doc, did you graduate in '72 (re. your name)?  That's the same Year I did from USF.  It was a good year.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765

We do not really have a rival.   The closest we have come to a rival would be USM, but since we left CUSA it is not likely we will be playing them anytime soon.  

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11

With respect to the substance, I think Texas Tech would be about a 17 point favorite to beat the Bulls on a neutral field.  I say that because Sagarin's ratings would have the Raiders as a 16.61 point favorite and those ratings are usually pretty close to the line.  Not always...but usually.

To put it into perspective:  Sagarin would make USF a 13.57 point favorite over McNeese on a neutral field.

Right now, by Sagarin, Texas would be a 42.63 point favorite to beat Sam Houston State on a neutral field while Texas Tech would be a 36.82 point favorite to beat Southeastern Louisiana on a neutral field.

It's not, when stripped down, really that remarkable an assertion.  Right now, most people expect Texas and Texas Tech to be top 25 caliber I-A teams and do not expect that from South Florida.  You can see that here: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

Rightly or wrongly, if I'm reading right, USF got no votes in either major top 25 poll.  And that belief is consistent with computer ratings.  It could be that by the time the season is over opinions might change.  But right now, the opinion that McNeese, in playing South Florida, is not playing teams as tough as Southeastern Louisiana is playing in Texas Tech and Sam Houston is playing in Texas isn't off the wall.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11

That year (2003), McNeese beat Nicholls State on the road by a score of 63 - 28.  It was McNeese's last playoff caliber team to date.