• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"Former Bartow Grad Is All Heart on the Field"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Former Bartow Grad Is All Heart on the Field

By Rick Brown

rick.brown@theledger.com

TAMPA

When it comes to recruiting and scouting athletes, too many decisions are based entirely on numbers, and not necessarily the ones on the field.

Heights and weights, 40-yard dash times and vertical leaps sometimes have as much weight, if not more, as a person's results on the field.

Yet those numbers alone are flawed because they don't tell the true story about an athlete. A 40-yard dash cannot tell how much heart a guy has. A 40-inch vertical leap cannot tell how mentally strong a person can remain under pressure.

University of South Florida running back Walt Smith isn't a big numbers guy. In fact, the former Bartow High graduate isn't a big anything.

The senior is 5-foot-10, which isn't big for a running back. He's listed at a generous 175 pounds, which today is the size of some kickers. And in today's society full of big mouths, Smith isn't a big talker.

"Nah, that's not me," Smith said after practice Wednesday. "I don't get rowdy or crunk. This is me."

Smith has always tried to let his actions speak for him. What he's hoping for is an opportunity to replace USF star running back Andre Hall, who holds nearly every rushing record for the Bulls.

Smith will likely be in a battle with sophomore Ricky Ponton and redshirt freshman Moise (pronounced Moses) Plancher for just that chance.

If history is an indicator, expect Smith to find a way to stand tall.

Smith was a first-team member of The Ledger's All-County Football Team in 2001 as a utility player. During his senior season at Bartow, Smith was primarily a blocking back for Brett Biggs be fore Biggs got hurt. That allowed Smith to step to the forefront where he led the team with 1,039 yards and 12 touchdowns.

He also played linebacker and safety that year. Despite his small frame, Smith also was the county weightlifting champion at 154 pounds.

That didn't matter, however, as big colleges were turned off by his size, forcing him to go to Ellsworth Community College in Iowa.

In his last season at Ellsworth, Smith rushed for 941 yards and 10 touchdowns, including games of 177, 174 and 158 yards.

He got a few offers from smaller schools but after being away from home for so long, Smith decided to walk on at South Florida as a defensive back.

"When he first got here, he was pretty light so it would be hard for him to be an effective running back, plus we had Andre Hall," said USF running backs coach Carl Franks. "It's tough to make it through the season in the Big East with the pounding you're going to get as a running back at 160-165 pounds."

The position switch did not faze Smith. In his first year, Smith was able to earn a spot mainly on the special teams unit and played in all 12 USF games.

This year he's back at his natural position -- running back.

"Coming into (this) year, he's worked very hard to gain weight," Franks said. "He's got a lot of speed and learned the offense well. He's put himself in position to have an opportunity to contribute to the football team this year."

In the spring game, he turned some heads by rushing for 66 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries. That was the motivating factor during the summer for Smith.

"The only thing you can do is show them what you can do and in the end they're going to put the best out on the field," he said.

Although he won't say it, he intends to make sure it's him.

Rick Brown may be reached at rick.brown@theledger.com or 863-802-7569.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060810/COLUMNISTS0614/608100445/1113/SPORTS

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,578
  • Days Won:  29

Great job by Rick & The Ledger !

We have had some great guys from Bartow ... and it started with Jason Butler ... there was guts & heart !

Smith did well at the Spring Game and hope he carries it through the season.

Will be a battle at this position.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Polk County

Walt Smith

Grothe

Grothe

Grothe

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I like how he throws out "I don't get rowdy or crunk".  Do you think Rick Smith knew what he meant when he used the term crunk?   ;)

I don't  :-/

Is it Crasy Drunk ?  :P

I think the term crunk is just another word for crazy or rowdy.  Its a rap term.  I think Lil John coined the phrase and recently started a Crunk Energy Drink.  I could be wrong about the rapper.

I discovered, it is the rapper - and we may have some fans in Kansas that are ... "crunk"  ;D

crunk-12249.jpg

Lawrence, Kansas of all places.  Phog Allen is rolling over in his grave. :o