• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe holding his own. ( lakeland ledger)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Julmiste has been the starter the past two years, but he's been walking on eggshells the whole time.

"This is nothing new to me. I've been in situations like this my whole career," Julmiste said. "It's kind of frustrating...."

"I've been criticized all my life, so I'm used to it," Julmiste said. "I can't worry about all the critics.

"The losses are on me. I should be criticized."

---------------------------------------------

"Ideally, you'd like to see somebody take charge and be the guy," Rod Smith said. "You don't want a guy looking over his shoulder.

----------------------------------------------

"But I'm going to do the best I can to win the job. I think they want someone to come in and lead and throw more completions."

"It puts more pressure on the quarterback, but I see that as a challenge," Grothe said.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Grothe

grothe

Grothe

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

DANG !!! I have been trying to get the link and NOTHING ... sometimes this happens when I try to access the Ledger, can someone post it? I will eventually connect, but I can't wait  8-)

:-[

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

Published Thursday, August 10, 2006

GROTHE HOLDING HIS OWN

The 6-foot, 200-Pound Lake Gibson Grad Could Take Opening USF Snap

By Patrick Zier

Ledger Correspondent

TAMPA -- Dead even.

With football practice just under way at the University of South Florida, that's exactly where redshirt freshman Matt Grothe and returning starter Pat Julmiste are as far as the quarterback position is concerned, Bulls' offensive coordinator Rod Smith said.

And which one is under center Sept. 2 when USF opens against McNeese State depends on "who takes off and who doesn't.

"We want a guy back there who can be a leader, who can throw the ball to the open guy and not make turnovers," Smith said.

That means the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Julmiste must prove he can play better -- much better -while the 6-foot, 200-pound Grothe, who prepped at Lake Gibson, must prove he can play, period.

"When we started (practice) in the spring, I figured I'd be sitting, the No. 3 or No. 4 guy," Grothe said. "Now I've got a chance to start, and it makes me want to get in there and show people what I can do.

"I can't wait to see what happens."

Neither can the coaches, who know the quarterback position is key to any success this team will have in 2006.

Julmiste has been the starter the past two years.

Julmiste has been the starter the past two years, but he's been walking on eggshells the whole time.

"This is nothing new to me. I've been in situations like this my whole career," Julmiste said. "It's kind of frustrating, but it's out of my control. I just have to play better."

Last year, Julmiste lost the starting job to Courtney Denson, then regained it in the second game after Denson bombed in the opener. Denson is now a defensive back.

But Julmiste ended the season with three consecutive losses, including a 14-0 defeat by North Carolina State in the Meineke Car Care Bowl, the only time in USF history the Bulls have failed to score.

"I've been criticized all my life, so I'm used to it," Julmiste said. "I can't worry about all the critics.

"The losses are on me. I should be criticized."

Now a senior, Julmiste has rededicated himself to holding his job and going out on top. "This is my last season, and I feel I have something to prove," he said. "I've been doing a lot of extra work. I'm trying to set an example, and I still think this team has confidence in me."

Smith said whoever ends up starting, he wants two quarterbacks ready to play.

"You need a second guy you can rely on," Smith said. "He's only one snap away from being in the game."

And while someone has to start against McNeese State, whoever it is must produce.

"Ideally, you'd like to see somebody take charge and be the guy," Smith said. "You don't want a guy looking over his shoulder.

"At the same time, he has to be responsible for the offense, there has to be production. If there isn't, then you have to make a change."

"Pat (Julmiste) and I are good friends," Grothe said, "we joke around and stuff like that off the field.

"But I'm going to do the best I can to win the job. I think they want someone to come in and lead and throw more completions."

Especially with the Big East's leading rusher, Andre Hall, gone, the passing game, which ranked 107th last year, takes on increased importance.

"It's got to get better," Julmiste said. "We can't just rely on the running game. We need more balance."

"It puts more pressure on the quarterback, but I see that as a challenge," Grothe said.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

Thanx  8-)

"Ideally, you'd like to see somebody take charge and be the guy," Smith said. "You don't want a guy looking over his shoulder.

And this is why I hope we have a starter named well before the opener.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he needs to win the job

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

he needs to win the job

true that!